7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Engine revving during shift when cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rw8959199 is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine revving during shift when cold

Hi everyone,

I have a Honda civic 2002 EX (~140K miles) and have an issue occur ONLY when the car is cold (Ilive in FL so cold is relative). If the vehicle has been off for several hours/overnight, when I start driving, the engine revs (3500 to 3900) during first few (<4) shifts. Once it gets past the initial shifts, the engine does not rev during shifting and everything is normal in terms of shifting. This only happens when the car has been sitting for 3+ hours, anything less and everything is normal.

I took it to my mechanic who said the revving was not abnormal but did replace the fluid as a safeguard. They did indicate that it did not look too dirty.

Thank you in advance.
Old 01-13-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Engine revving during shift when cold

Originally Posted by rw8959199

I took it to my mechanic who said the revving was not abnormal but did replace the fluid as a safeguard.

time for a new mechanic, this one is broken
Old 01-13-2015
Registered!!

greenbackz is an unknown quantity at this point

mine does the same thing. only on cold start the tranny slips a little bit in between shifts. i've just learned to be very light on the pedal for the first few mins of driving it in the morning (which i'm sure is a good idea with any car regardless).

OP, if you are very light on the pedal does it still rev up in between shifts?
either way your transmission is NOT fine. however, sounds to me like you have the same problem as me and i've been driving mine for a few years and i haven't noticed it getting any worse since. To be honest i thought my transmission would have died by now from what i read online about this issue but still going strong..

can any knowledgeable people explain exactly why this occurs only when its cold?
Old 01-13-2015
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

my guess is the screens are mostly stopped up. The cold fluid is too thick to pass thru and it either causes transmission to flair (I think when it does that, it's hung in the previous gear since the fluid cannot get out and also in the upper gear) or in your case, not have enough pressure getting thru to lock up clutch. ******* it will be it's demise. Might try letting it warm up sitting in park. Idling for 5-10 minutes does not burn much gas and a new transmission is big bucks. There is one exterior filter on newer models. It's below and behind underside of air filter box. It does have a pressure bypass though and not sure it would help anything. Going to put one on my 07 Civic. Already did the 05 CRV with 84K. Might try a full case (12 quarts) of Honda brand fluid. Change 3, drive it 5 miles, and repeat 3 times. There is another method on here. My Civic only has 95K but the dealer was using generic and only doing 3 and charging $60. Oil was still dirty. It seemed to shift OK but once I did the change out, I can tell the difference. The shifts are sharp and smooth. Years ago (not first ones..ha), Honda's were bullet proof but they only had 75HP . Not anymore with the power they have and how people drive them. Be interesting to see how the CVT transmission works.

Last edited by RIPSAW; 01-13-2015 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-14-2015
Registered!!

greenbackz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
my guess is the screens are mostly stopped up. The cold fluid is too thick to pass thru and it either causes transmission to flair (I think when it does that, it's hung in the previous gear since the fluid cannot get out and also in the upper gear) or in your case, not have enough pressure getting thru to lock up clutch. ******* it will be it's demise. Might try letting it warm up sitting in park. Idling for 5-10 minutes does not burn much gas and a new transmission is big bucks. There is one exterior filter on newer models. It's below and behind underside of air filter box. It does have a pressure bypass though and not sure it would help anything. Going to put one on my 07 Civic. Already did the 05 CRV with 84K. Might try a full case (12 quarts) of Honda brand fluid. Change 3, drive it 5 miles, and repeat 3 times. There is another method on here. My Civic only has 95K but the dealer was using generic and only doing 3 and charging $60. Oil was still dirty. It seemed to shift OK but once I did the change out, I can tell the difference. The shifts are sharp and smooth. Years ago (not first ones..ha), Honda's were bullet proof but they only had 75HP . Not anymore with the power they have and how people drive them. Be interesting to see how the CVT transmission works.
yah that's what i read also. i knew it was something to do with cold fluid being to thick to pass through the filters but once it warms up it's all gravy. i did a full ATF change with geniune honda fluid drove for a few miles and changed it again. this was a while back so i might do it again soon just to be safe
Old 04-05-2015
Registered!!

honda200192 is an unknown quantity at this point

You may or may not have fixed your problem but a " transmission flare" is not your transmission slipping. Like the post before mine.. its your transmission hung up shifting to the next gear. So either a defective shift solenoid or the screens are clogged up as stated in previous posts. Now you can take off the shift solenoids and clean the screens and from others doing this it has helped. But be very carefully taking those shift solenoids off if you choose to go that route. There easy to remove and clean but dont use any sort rag or anthing that has lint to clean them or wipe them down. Why??? If just a little bit of lint or crap gets into the shift solenoid or solenoids it can cause a lot of other problems. It can get stuck in the valve body or other valves. And then your gonna hate life. So going this route can either help. . Or make thing's worse. Draining and filling 3 times won't do anthing unless those screens are cleaned. But clean the screens first than do the flushes. And id use AutoZone brake cleaner ..why?? Cause it won't expand the gasket.. other brake cleans can do that. Just depends on what in it.
Old 04-05-2015
Registered!!

honda200192 is an unknown quantity at this point

My civic does the same thing but in 3rd gear and my speedometer acts up so im thinking mine could be a faulty speed sensor but im not sure. Still waiting on a response to my thread. Any ways good luck man