7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Help needed on HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
zetsueix is an unknown quantity at this point
Help needed on HIDs

First and foremost, I would like to apologize for posting this as I know that everyone already asked this a billion times but I really need help because I could not use the car with the headlights and bumper out of the vehicle.

I have a 2005 civic and its my first time installing hids and I went with the D2S just to give it a try. I'm having problems getting the lights to work. I triple checked everything and still couldn't find the solution. When I turn on the high beam, the projector clicks but there is no low and high beam light at all. Could it be the oem input connector(I got the 9006)? I switched out the ballasts, re installed every connection, and tested the battery(12.4V was the result) but still couldn't get it to light up. If you guys can help me out, it will be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-09-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help needed on HIDs

Well, the good news is that the click means that you have the projector shield solenoid wired up properly. The sound you hear should be the sound of the shield dropping.

Your problem is with the ballasts. Could be how they're wired up. Quick question before we proceed, where are they getting their power from? Directly from the headlight harness, or is it going through a relay harness, so they get power directly from the battery? The latter option is the safest way to do it, and will guarantee the ballasts get adequate power. The former option, I've seen (and have had personal experience with) one ballast not getting enough power. Also, if you have old school analog ballasts, the startup current on those things will blow the headlight fuse rather quickly.

Also, just a dummy check. Are you sure you have the correct wiring for the ballast? Positive to positive, negative to negative? My first set of ballasts had the colors reversed and never fired because I followed the red/black convention.
Old 01-09-2015
Registered!!

The ballasts are getting power from the relay harness. http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...l#.VLAT0Xvlz2E

I got the 35w to prolong the bulb life. Also, the power source connectors for the ballasts are premade so they only go one way. The power source connection from the relay harness cannot go in the igniter connection and vice versa.

If it makes sense, here's how I followed the diagrams provided in the kit:
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/med...arness_7_1.jpg

I am unsure about the oem input connection from car, checked on the TRS website and a 2005 civic uses 9006. Oem input connection from relay harness to low beam connection of the car?
Old 01-09-2015
Registered!!

greenbackz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zetsueix
The ballasts are getting power from the relay harness. http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...l#.VLAT0Xvlz2E

I got the 35w to prolong the bulb life. Also, the power source connectors for the ballasts are premade so they only go one way. The power source connection from the relay harness cannot go in the igniter connection and vice versa.

If it makes sense, here's how I followed the diagrams provided in the kit:
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/med...arness_7_1.jpg

I am unsure about the oem input connection from car, checked on the TRS website and a 2005 civic uses 9006. Oem input connection from relay harness to low beam connection of the car?
i haven't had this particular issue myself, however i have read in various places online that the pins on the harness can sometimes be reversed. u can remove the pins from the connector and swap them, if that doesn't fix the issue then i would suspect faulty relay harness. also double check ur grounds using a multimeter. i highly doubt that both ur ballast are faulty but you never know..
Old 01-10-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by greenbackz
i haven't had this particular issue myself, however i have read in various places online that the pins on the harness can sometimes be reversed. u can remove the pins from the connector and swap them, if that doesn't fix the issue then i would suspect faulty relay harness. also double check ur grounds using a multimeter. i highly doubt that both ur ballast are faulty but you never know..
I spoke to TRS customer service and they told me to check the voltage of the stock headlight connector and the outputs of the relay harness to see how far the 12V go. It could also be a blown fuse as the representative mentioned.

How would I go into testing the 12V on every connection using a multimeter? Im not that familiar with electricity as I just bought a multimeter.
Old 01-14-2015
Registered!!

Alright, after spending a week trying to figure out this HID problem, I was able to resolve the issue of reverse polarity connecting the relay and the oem input. I had to take it out of the connector because turning the connector 180 degrees was not doing the work. Had to manually insert the 2 pins on the oem input and secure it with electrical tape. Thanks greenbackz!
Old 01-14-2015
Registered!!

greenbackz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zetsueix
Alright, after spending a week trying to figure out this HID problem, I was able to resolve the issue of reverse polarity connecting the relay and the oem input. I had to take it out of the connector because turning the connector 180 degrees was not doing the work. Had to manually insert the 2 pins on the oem input and secure it with electrical tape. Thanks greenbackz!
no problem

instead of going the electrical tape route, couldn't u just remove the pins from the hid harness connector and put them back in the proper sides?
Old 01-14-2015
Registered!!

Double posted

Last edited by zetsueix; 01-14-2015 at 04:52 PM. Reason: double posted
Old 01-14-2015
Registered!!

no problem

instead of going the electrical tape route, couldn't u just remove the pins from the hid harness connector and put them back in the proper sides?
I tried to but for some reason if theyre in the plastic connector, they wont light up. Now I just need to aim them properly with the guides on here. Appreciated your help, as well as riceboy's.