7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

05 ignition issue - possible anti theft related?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Candi166 is an unknown quantity at this point
05 ignition issue - possible anti theft related?

I have a 2005 civic with a manual transmission and manual door locks. Today I drove my vehicle to work and home then back to work with no problems. After work I went to the post office and when I went to leave my key wouldn't move in the ignition. The key went in just fine and I could easily remove the key but it would not turn to start the car. The steering wheel wasn't locked and I was able to move it and move the wheels. it felt almost as if I was putting in the wrong key. Or like the steering wheel was locked to where I couldn't turn over the car. I have never had any problems whatsoever with the ignition until today. I ended up having to have the car towed to a mechanics. I had a new key made but it made no difderence. I recently had some issues with the driver side door lock, I think because somebody tried to tamper with the car and the anti theft system locked the door. Is it possible that the anti theft system that came stock on the vehicle is somehow is disabling the ignition?
Old 01-07-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 05 ignition issue - possible anti theft related?

Originally Posted by Candi166
I think because somebody tried to tamper with the car and the anti theft system locked the door.
i thought you said you had manual door locks?

Is it possible that the anti theft system that came stock on the vehicle is somehow is disabling the ignition?
no....not if you cant even turn the key

put the key in the ignition and open your door, do you hear the beeping alarm?
Old 01-07-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 05 ignition issue - possible anti theft related?

Sounds like....

Tumblers worn out in the ignition cylinder.

Drag it to your Honda dealer for rebuild. They should be able to fix the lock cylinder too, cylinders are in the same kit with the tumblers.

Dealer is the only place to do this in my town, local locksmiths don't have tumblers for Honda/Acura sidewinder keys.

Rebuilding allows you to use the same keys.

Most independent shops would just replace the whole ignition lock assembly and make you use multiple keys to operate the car (different keys for door/ignition) AND they have to tow it to the dealer to make it run (program the new keys)
OR they get a used set from the boneyard and a ECM that matches.