7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

What would be the best speakers for my car out of this list?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anbu7elite is an unknown quantity at this point
What would be the best speakers for my car out of this list?

I have a 2005 Honda Civic LX coupe. I want to upgrade my car's sound system by changing the headunit and all four speakers, but I am not sure what's the best choice.

I'm planning to buy the
Pioneer FHX-720BT Pioneer FHX-720BT
for my headunit.
However for the speakers, I am not sure which ones would go great with it.
What are the best speakers out of these choices?
Polk Audio DB651s Polk Audio DB651s
Pioneer TS-A1675R Pioneer TS-A1675R
JBL GTO638 JBL GTO638
Kicker DS65 Kicker DS65
Kenwood KFC-G6930 Kenwood KFC-G6930
Infinity Reference 6032cf Infinity Reference 6032cf
Rockford Fosgate R14X2 Prime Rockford Fosgate R14X2 Prime

Also, should I get all of the same speakers for the front and rear?
Which speaker would be the best for budget?
Which speaker would be the best for performance despite the budget?
What about tweeters?
Old 12-28-2014
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light
Re: What would be the best speakers for my car out of this list?

That's not an exactly apples to apples comparison. You have 6.5" coaxials, 4" full range and a 6x9"
The Infinity's at 93dB will give you the most sound if you are running a head unit with no amp. The Polks are second with 92dB.
If you plan on running a separate tweeter, then you wouldn't want any of these speakers and should be looking at components. But I highly recommend an amp if you run components. But if not, you still want to look for the speakers with the highest sensitivity rating.
Old 12-28-2014
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i personally prefer Polk out of that bunch.
Old 12-28-2014
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by anbu7elite
Also, should I get all of the same speakers for the front and rear?
yes, otherwise you might hear different pitches from the front vs the back.

Which speaker would be the best for performance despite the budget?
The JBL 3-way would be a good set (the difference in sound between a 2-way and 3-way is usually pretty significant) then the Polks/Infinity. Although JBL and Infinity are made by the same company. Kicker and RF are known for subs so I'm not sure how well their full range speakers would be. Pioneer and Kenwood are more of entry level speakers but if you're looking to jam out I'd stick with JBL,Infinity,Polk.

What about tweeters?
Does your car already have tweeters? I'd replace them with a component set like this:
Amazon.com : Infinity Reference 6030cs 6.5-Inch 270-Watt Two-Way Component System : Component Vehicle Speaker Systems : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Infinity Reference 6030cs 6.5-Inch 270-Watt Two-Way Component System : Component Vehicle Speaker Systems : Car Electronics

Most tweeters are a 1" speaker so you'd have to do some modifications if you wanted to try and squeeze a 4" speaker in there.
Old 01-02-2015
Registered!!

Red_Chaos1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally running the Polks. DB651's up front and DB691's in the back.
Old 01-03-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Just a heads up, those 6x9s won't fit in the rear deck of the car with the trunk springs installed. I have Infinity reference 9623i's in my rear deck (top mount depth of 3") and I had to take the trunk springs out. Also, check and see how much modification would be required to fit any speaker you decide on. Numerous sites said that the Alpine SPR-17Cs I have would fit, but I still had to do some dremeling to have them fit nicely in the door panel. Just some food for thought.

Also, any plans for an amp? Most stock speakers are what, 8W speakers? The kenwood 6x9s you posted up are 250W, and the head unit will supply 50W, at most (17W rms). That said, they're gonna be quiet as hell if you don't.
Old 01-05-2015
Registered!!

Actually the speakers I have decided to get now are the
Infinity Kappas for front Infinity Kappas for front
and
Infinity Kapps for the rear Infinity Kapps for the rear
and those speakers I heard would do fine without an amp.
However, I do plan on buying an amp later on and I don't know whether or not I should get
Rockford Fosgate R300X4 Rockford Fosgate R300X4
or
Rockford Fosgate R400-4D Rockford Fosgate R400-4D
Also, I'm concerned about the RMS power for those rear Infinity Kappas that I posted because its 110 W, would these amps power it fully even though they're rated at 75 w and 100w @ 2ohm?
Old 01-05-2015
Registered!!

I do plan on buying an amp later on and I don't know whether or not I should get Rockford Fosgate R300X4 or Rockford Fosgate R400-4D
The RF 400-4D would probably better since it's gonna push more power. You typically want your speakers to take up about 80% of the power of the amp. This way your not having to run the amp wide open all the time. But I think that's more for subwoofers, I think for door speakers your normal listening volume isn't going to have the amp cranking as hard as it can.

would these amps power it fully even though they're rated at 75 w and 100w @ 2ohm?
Your speakers are 4ohm so the 2ohm rating doesn't really matter. You can wire them in parallel and sacrifice your L/R fading but you still have 100W to 2 speakers so you're back down to 50W per speaker. Find a 4 channel amp that will give you the power you want at 4 ohms. Or get 2 amps, one for the fronts and one for the rears.
Old 01-05-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by drhawkinz
The RF 400-4D would probably better since it's gonna push more power. You typically want your speakers to take up about 80% of the power of the amp. This way your not having to run the amp wide open all the time. But I think that's more for subwoofers, I think for door speakers your normal listening volume isn't going to have the amp cranking as hard as it can.

Your speakers are 4ohm so the 2ohm rating doesn't really matter. You can wire them in parallel and sacrifice your L/R fading but you still have 100W to 2 speakers so you're back down to 50W per speaker. Find a 4 channel amp that will give you the power you want at 4 ohms. Or get 2 amps, one for the fronts and one for the rears.
Hifonics-BRX640.4
Okay I have decided on this amp because I heard that it is a good brand and it gives me more than enough power for all speakers, what do you think?
Old 01-05-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light

You'll get more power from the Rockford amp and I would take Rockford over Hifonics, but the choice is yours.
Old 01-05-2015
Registered!!

Hifonics-BRX640.4
Okay I have decided on this amp because I heard that it is a good brand and it gives me more than enough power for all speakers, what do you think?

I don't have any experience with them but it has good reviews on Amazon so I'd say it should rock out pretty good!
Old 01-12-2015
Registered!!

Ok this is what I have finally decided on now, any thoughts?

Headunit:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GS7V2LK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2YPYC7ZH SRVLH

Amp:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00E1BRITU/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/184-0991782-6775617?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1 &smid=A2YPYC7ZHSRVLH

Front Speakers:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019G2HA0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3QWSZ44N 8P3XH

Rear Speakers:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0072XTFI6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A02818241 383XCJQPM613
Old 01-12-2015
Registered!!

Should sound pretty good. I like my Pioneer deck a lot. The display is kind of bright at night but it depends on what color you have it set to. Let us know how it sounds.