7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

NGK laser iridium for 02 running e85

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inkubus is an unknown quantity at this point
NGK laser iridium for 02 running e85

I started using e85, and ever since using it I've been having misfires in my 2002 Honda Civic EX. I figure I need new spark plugs, so I've been doing some research and I've found that many people swear behind the NGK laser iridium plugs.

what I am wondering is if these will be good enough for my car running e85. since e85 needs to burn at a higher temperature than gasoline, and now that it's becoming winter and the temperature is dropping and its snowing here where I live, I'm hoping that the spark plugs that I get will be sufficient in igniting the e85 without losing performance or anything like that. Any help would be appreciated
Old 11-16-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: NGK laser iridium for 02 running e85

Originally Posted by Inkubus
I started using e85, and ever since using it I've been having misfires in my 2002 Honda Civic EX.

just stick with the stock plug, no other plug will perform better,

generally speaking there is really never any reason to change plug type unless you have a heavily modified engine,

and by heavily modified i dont mean a header, muffler, cam, or cold air intake.....i mean serious stuff like machine head work, porting+polishing, superchargers, turbos etc etc
Old 11-16-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I started using e85, and ever since using it I've been having misfires
Stop using it.
That's the cause of your misfire problems.

Honda doesn't have any cars here designed to run E-85.
You SHOULD have problems running it in the cold.

It burns cold.
It definitely causes lean codes.
It can cause misfire codes.
It's hard to burn when the engine is cold, in extreme cold weather it may not run well at all.
The computer can't normally richen the mixture far enough to not run lean.

Go back to plain gasoline (or E-10) and your problems should disappear.
If they don't disappear, then you can start diagnosing the actual cause without dealing with a stupid wrong fuel problem on top of everything else.
Old 11-16-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Did you convert the car to run on e85?
Old 11-16-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,441 Likes on 1,197 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GolNat
mad compression rates? or tons of carbon deposits on the piston heads?
Old 11-16-2014
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i recently started using jet fuel and im also having some major issues every time i go past 88mph i end up back in 1955.
Old 11-16-2014
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

Originally Posted by lowlife9
i recently started using jet fuel and im also having some major issues every time i go past 88mph i end up back in 1955.
Sounds like you're flux capacitor is working, maybe just keep her under 88mph , McFly!
Old 11-18-2014
Registered!!

Dont care about anyone who believes the myth about e85.
Every car post 1991 can run e85. This thread isnt a debate about it. Its how I fix the problem, what I can do to burn the e85 hotter. Literally the only problem is the plugs I have arent hot enough to burn the ethanol, easy problem if I just know what im getting is high enough heat range.
Old 11-18-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
No I didnt buy the converter because I read literature that you dont need it but since I live in a cold state I might need it.
Old 11-18-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

what I can do to burn the e85 hotter.
Add diesel at a ratio of 10%? (for a 10 gal tank would add 1 gal diesel)

Old 11-18-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Inkubus
No I didnt buy the converter because I read literature that you dont need it but since I live in a cold state I might need it.
tell us what you *think* you need to do to run alcohol in your car.
Old 11-18-2014

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
tell us what you *think* you need to do to run alcohol in your car.
Fill the tank, turn the key. It works on every car made since 1991.

Then post to a forum because that cunning plan didn't work perfectly.

OP:
A typical flex-fuel (E-85) engine uses a plug spec one heat range colder than what the plain gas engine equivalent uses.

But.....the spark plugs are not the answer to your problem at hand.
Old 11-18-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

hahaha, yes, ezone, but from when the ethanol cars were being developed, the mess it made in the carburetors and the corrosion that ensued... (I am Brazilian, were the 100% ethanol fuel cars were developed)

so, the corrosion part due to the water in the fuel and the acidity from that have been solved on the 91+ cars.

it's a very low energy per pound of fuel, but that can be solved by the ECU programming by throwing a wholly lot more of fuel. Ethanol cars sucks in terms of mileage, BTW... a tank will last a lot less miles. But if it's a fully 100% ethanol fuel, it will deliver more power. with the caveat that it's using a lot more fuel to do that.

but the part of the compression... the fuel is a whole lot higher octanes, making the ethanol fuel being really hard to ignite. to counter that, you need around 11:1 compression ratios for a 100% ethanol. The 7th gen is below that threshold. EX is around 10.5:1? Not enough. The highest i seem for ethanol back in the 2k's were around 14:1 without fuel injection and it melted spark plugs if fuel ratio was screwed...

no, it's not just tune. If you use only tune, you are a far cry from what the ethanol could do. The Flex engines are a compromise. not enough compression for ethanol to work as it should, but quite high to make gasoline fuel make the ignition retard enough that it can not deliver the power enough. Compromises.

you really need to change the engine compression ratio to make ethanol work... computer tune will not deliver what it could do. waste ensues.
Old 11-19-2014
Registered!!

Lots of good info in that post.
Running roughly 50/50 gas and ethanol works but you know that is kind of annoying. The only time I have trouble is when its cold out, 100% serious thats it, and even then the bucking only lasts a few minutes of driving before its smooth sailing.
Just doesn't like being cold.