7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Bulb + Socket for 01 Gauge cluster

Old 11-06-2014
I am Epic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted
Bulb + Socket for 01 Gauge cluster

I cant believe how hard it is to find this part number at Honda. called 3 dealers and all are giving me the run around. Two of my gauge cluster bulbs the ones in the speedo) wont stay in its socket, so I need to order new bulbs that are already in the socket. From my testing, these 2 sockets are no longer tight enough to grip the bulbs.

Can I order these online that ship to Canada? The dealer wants anywhere from $32-46 for one bulb+socket set. Rip off prices.
Old 11-06-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Bulb + Socket for 01 Gauge cluster

Did they ever have common #74 bulbs in them ???

They are larger size then original bulbs.
Old 11-06-2014
Registered!!

Reverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of light

You can buy the set from Toronto Honda Parts online:

http://torontohondaparts.com/Honda/C...TEON)_(1)/6104

Looks like the set is 'only' $9 or $6 depending on what bulb and base you need.

Not sure what your trim is but I don't think the gauge cluster differes that much between models... Just select your proper trim or enter you VIN on the home page of Toronto Honda Parts to be sure.

Old 11-07-2014
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Originally Posted by CraigW
Did they ever have common #74 bulbs in them ???

They are larger size then original bulbs.
yes the bulb replacements i put in now are the 74 bulbs. they stay tight in the socket on 6 of the sockets and the rest keep falling out. i now need 4 i need to replace.

sick of having to pull the cluster over and over.
Old 11-07-2014
I am Epic

Originally Posted by Reverb2005
You can buy the set from Toronto Honda Parts online:

http://torontohondaparts.com/Honda/C...TEON)_(1)/6104

Looks like the set is 'only' $9 or $6 depending on what bulb and base you need.

Not sure what your trim is but I don't think the gauge cluster differes that much between models... Just select your proper trim or enter you VIN on the home page of Toronto Honda Parts to be sure.

thanks. so looks like the bulbs arent the #74 hmm.

i always thought it was allthe same bulb for the whole cluster, but guess not.

wow $32 for shipping? well so much for that.

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 11-07-2014 at 07:10 AM.
Old 11-07-2014

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

The #74 is not really the correct bulb, (larger then original) Maybe they are damaging your sockets.

You could use a very thin layer of RTV on the bulb base at the top edge of socket to hold them in place.
Old 11-07-2014
I am Epic

The #74 is not really the correct bulb, (larger then original) Maybe they are damaging your sockets.

You could use a very thin layer of RTV on the bulb base at the top edge of socket to hold them in place.
Oh I always thought it was #74 bulbs for the entire cluster (just from reading a thread on here from a few years back).

I called honda and they said the #74 bulbs arent the correct bulb and that they dont sell OEM bulbs seperately, it always comes with sockets.

Thats too bad cause id rather just buy the bulbs if i could find the smaller size that fits in mine now.
Old 11-07-2014

#74s do fit the socket, but a while back someone got oem bulbs and said they were smaller then 74s.

Same with auto shifter illumination, 74 fits but is not correct bulb though.
Old 11-07-2014
Registered!!

Reverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of light

#74s do fit the socket, but a while back someone got oem bulbs and said they were smaller then 74s.

Same with auto shifter illumination, 74 fits but is not correct bulb though.
Seems like there are in fact 2 different bulb types for your cluster. My 2005 Civic takes #74 bulbs in ALL the sockets and they fit perfectly. I can even see the "74" still on the old bulbs when I changed them out.

My guess is that the bulbs that light the back of the cluster up (behind speedometer and tach, if you have it) are probably #74 and the bulbs that light the indicators could be smaller?

I bought 10 #74 bulbs on ebay for like $3 or $4 though I never did see the base on ebay
Old 11-07-2014
I am Epic

Thats what I thought, the #74 bulbs fit! Cause if they didnt, they simply wouldnt push all the way in and illuminate. The problem with a few of my sockets is that they dont grip the bulbs enough to keep the bulb in the socket.

So I have to buy new sockets + bulb sets for $12 each What a rip off.
Old 11-07-2014
Registered!!

Can you see any numbers on the used bulbs at all? Like I said, mine actually had a "74" on them, though it was EXTREMELY small so you will definately need to magnify the bulb somehow to see it.

Only reason why I know about these bulbs is because I tried to relace the bulbs with LEDs (couldn't find any that were bright enough). From all my research, I found that all my bulb bases were "T5", which is a size standard for the wedge-based bulbs and they fit the #74 bulb.

So, what I would do is, buy a bunch of T5 twist lock bases from eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-T5-Twist-Socket-Instrument-Panel-Cluster-Plug-Lamp-Dash-Light-Bulb-Lock-Base-/251413407781?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a89682825&vxp=mtr
For which the #74 bulbs or T-1-3/4 Sub-Miniature Glass Wedge Base will fit into (which I know for sure will fit since this is exactly what I did for my Civic)

The #74 bulb is your #9 bulb (in the Honda parts diagram) @ 1.4 Watts.
http://www.bulbtown.com/74_Miniature..._Base_p/74.htm

Also, a #37 will fit into the same base, this is your #8 bulb @ 1.26 Watts.
http://www.bulbtown.com/37_Miniature..._Base_p/37.htm

You can do a search on eBay to find those bulbs for really cheap.

** One thing I cannot guarantee is that the twist base will fit into your cluster. Seems like it should but no guarantees there, but hey, it's a small risk and a hell of a lot cheaper. I had to do some trial and error with my cluster but finally found the bulb that fit.

As for the #7 bulbs, not too sure since I couldn't find a 3W T1-3/4 bulb.... must be something different. If you have a micrometer, measure the bulb and look for it on that Bulb Town website and eBay them!

Good Luck
Old 11-07-2014
I am Epic

Originally Posted by Reverb2005
Can you see any numbers on the used bulbs at all? Like I said, mine actually had a "74" on them, though it was EXTREMELY small so you will definately need to magnify the bulb somehow to see it.

Only reason why I know about these bulbs is because I tried to relace the bulbs with LEDs (couldn't find any that were bright enough). From all my research, I found that all my bulb bases were "T5", which is a size standard for the wedge-based bulbs and they fit the #74 bulb.

So, what I would do is, buy a bunch of T5 twist lock bases from eBay:

10x T5 Twist Socket Instrument Panel Cluster Plug Lamp Dash Light Bulb Lock Base | eBay

For which the #74 bulbs or T-1-3/4 Sub-Miniature Glass Wedge Base will fit into (which I know for sure will fit since this is exactly what I did for my Civic)

The #74 bulb is your #9 bulb (in the Honda parts diagram) @ 1.4 Watts.
http://www.bulbtown.com/74_Miniature..._Base_p/74.htm

Also, a #37 will fit into the same base, this is your #8 bulb @ 1.26 Watts.

You can do a search on eBay to find those bulbs for really cheap.

** One thing I cannot guarantee is that the twist base will fit into your cluster. Seems like it should but no guarantees there, but hey, it's a small risk and a hell of a lot cheaper. I had to do some trial and error with my cluster but finally found the bulb that fit.

As for the #7 bulbs, not too sure since I couldn't find a 3W T1-3/4 bulb.... must be something different. If you have a micrometer, measure the bulb and look for it on that Bulb Town website and eBay them!

Good Luck
thanks for the info.Unfortunately I just got back from the dealer and got two sets (socket + bulb). I right away checked what bulb type it was and it says 74 on it, the same as what i got in now. I put them side by side and the two i just bought are actually a bit skinner...so that would explain why some of the bulbs on my sockets keep popping out. But its wierd because i have them in all of mine (when i did it over a year ago i replaced all the bulbs in the gauge cluster), and some have never popped out from the socket and others cant stay in for longer than a couple months.

Sadly i had to pay $12 for each of them, yes I know i got ripped off but i had no choice. Still cant believe it, $25 for two, ridiculous.

I will check out ebay and see if i can find these very same 1.26W bulbs on there, if so ill get 9 and replace the remaining, if not then ill just keep what i got in now. I just dont wanna have to ever pull the cluster again, ive pulled it like 12 times in the past couple years.

If I order these

Will they fit into the OEM sockets?

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 11-07-2014 at 08:43 PM.