7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3 wire a/c compressor in 1 wire chassis

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
usajags84 is an unknown quantity at this point
3 wire a/c compressor in 1 wire chassis

This morning started at 4 am, I moved over alot of the parts I was going to move, but I ran into 1 small snag in the plan.

My 01 civic has a 1 wire rebuilt ac compressor which is bad,
My 03 Scrap civic has newer factory 3 wire compressor

Is there a way to put the compressor 3 wire in the 1 wire chassis??
Before Asking I have looked at the following threads and could not find anything.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...-question.html

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...uestion-s.html

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...ompressor.html

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...ing-issue.html

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
I would really like to get the car back on the road!
Right now it is sitting on jack stands

I am just about done moving over the new strut assemblies and I am waiting for the machine shop to finish pressing in new bearings and balljoints in the hubs Should get these back tomorrow.
Old 10-19-2014
Registered!!

Re: 3 wire a/c compressor in 1 wire chassis

Ok So I found this instruction guide from a k20 swap site.
Before doing and frying something I would ask if anyone has done this, or if someone had some advice that was more suited then this.

Thanks

http://www.xproductionz.com/k20swap/k20swap.html

- Second type is a 3-wire connector. The color of the wires are
-blue/red
-green/yellow
-blue/white
For this setup you have to take the blue/white wire and connect it to the green/yellow wire. Then the last wire which is the blue/red wire will go directly to the 1-wire compressor

-Last type is also a 3-wire connector. The color of the wires are
-blue/red
-red
-blue
For this etup you have to take the red wire and connect it to the blue wire. Then the last wire which is the blue/red wire will go directly to the 1-wire compressor

Im sure there are probably other color types out there i dont know about but if you have a blue/red wire and the other colors are different. Its safe to assume that the blue/red wire go to the compressor and the other 2 wires connect to each other.
Old 10-19-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

In a 3 wire setup, the thermal cutout is wired in series with the pressure switch to interrupt the request circuit between the HVAC cu and the MICU.

In a single wire setup, the thermal cutout is wired in series with the clutch power wire.

Last edited by ezone; 10-19-2014 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-19-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
In a 3 wire setup, the thermal cutout is wired in series with the pressure switch to interrupt the request circuit between the HVAC cu and the MICU.

In a single wire setup, the thermal cutout is wired in series with the clutch power wire.

Just to make sure I am understanding you properly,
What I would need to do is identify the wire that goes into the thermal protector(A), followed by the wire that comes out of the thermal connector (B) and the wire that engages the clutch (C)

Then I would need to wire my one connector (power), into wire A, then take the output wire B and connect to C.
This would provide the thermal cutout and provide me ac without rigging it.
Old 10-19-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Just to make sure I am understanding you properly,
What I would need to do is identify the wire that goes into the thermal protector(A), followed by the wire that comes out of the thermal connector (B) and the wire that engages the clutch (C)

Then I would need to wire my one connector (power), into wire A, then take the output wire B and connect to C.
???? You lost me. Can you make a drawing of it? LOL

In the 3 wire compressor connector, all 3 wires are red.

The center wire goes to the clutch coil.
The 2 outer wires go to the thermal protector.

This would provide the thermal cutout and provide me ac without rigging it.
Examine the clutch wiring on the 2001 compressor, it should be easy to see how it's wired. Configure the newer unit to be electrically the same.

Reuse the original compressor?
Old 10-21-2014
Registered!!

I put the new compressor in tonight, what my goal was is to use the three wire harness and solder the wires at the harness by the fan.

I have run the wires up to the frame and did connect it I put the alternator in but not the power steering pump

I put on my lca's arms picked up my hubs from the machine shop had one stuck tie rod end gonna try to get it loose tomorrow if I can't get it I am goin to hust pay the job to get it... I tried everything to crack the retaining but loose but it wouldn't budge

Gonna do a four wheel alignment Thursday
One odd thing was I noticed the sway bar on the 01 civic is much thicker the. The 03 both sedan and coupe