7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Coolant is leaking from down while filling coolant

Old 10-03-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eswar_ner is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Coolant is leaking from down while filling coolant

Hi, Guys

My 2001 Honda Civic Ex is overheating from few months. I did the coolant plush once and it went well for few days then again the overheating problems came back.

One day, I drive the Car little longer like 20 miles with high temperature (almost guage level is high) and later I pull over the car and did check the radiator. I noticed that the radiator mouth and cap were burnt. I call towing company for towing my car. The Radiator, Radiator Cap and Thermostat and its gasket were replaced by new by towing company itself. After that the car went 3 days very well without overheating and started overheating again.

I read many threads in this forum and other forums, all are saying that problem with head gasket. As mentioned in few forums, I open the radiator cap and started the car and I gave the gas to maintain the 3000 RPM for a while. I observed that, the coolant is spitting high from radiator. I don't know this behavior related to bad head gasket.

After this test, I started to go home but the car is overheating lot almost full at temperature guage after a mile. So, I did stop the car several times while going home (10 miles away) and finally reached the home.

The next day evening, I started the car to go to workplace which is 10 miles away but did the same thing like I mentioned in above.

Finally, I stopped at one of the gas station and bought the coolant and started filling the coolant into the radiator but I noticed that the coolant is leaking from bottom of the radiator while I was filling the coolant into the radiator . What might be the reason? Is this because of bad lower radiator hose or leaking from radiator? The radiator is brand new and changed 20 days back. I don't know what to do now. Please suggest me.

Thank you
Old 10-03-2014
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice
Re: Coolant is leaking from down while filling coolant

Bad news: Your head gasket is blown.

Good news: This forum has lots of info and DIYs on replacing your head gasket.
Old 10-03-2014
Registered!!

Thank you bsmiley for letting me about head gasket blown but what about the coolant leaking from bottom of the radiator while filling it?
Old 10-03-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

but what about the coolant leaking from bottom of the radiator while filling it?
Return to whomever installed that radiator and have them recheck their work.... And tell them that ever since they replaced the radiator and it leaked all the fluid out, now it overheats.

Expect to have to pay for the head gasket job though. Hope they can do a good job of it.
Old 10-04-2014
Former Sponsor

Brandon@fattysmotorsports is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah the radiator was not installed properly. they are definitely not suppose to leak!
Old 10-08-2014
Registered!!

Thanks for your replies

I found that lower radiator hose is loose. the clamp was not in its place. So we put the lower hose back and clamp correctly and did the coolant plush. I drove 70 miles after this change I car is not overheating now and also I am getting hot air from the vents.

I will update again if the car overheats again with details.

Thank you
Old 10-08-2014
Former Sponsor

Brandon@fattysmotorsports is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad that it was only that problem, not something much worse. Good luck!