7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Replacing Exhaust Manifold Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of light
Replacing Exhaust Manifold Gasket

So I am about to try and replace the exhaust manifold gasket as there seems to be a small leak in the general area. I will have a better look once I can see the manifold a little better after it is disconnected from the engine. Either way, I was try to find new hardware online for the job, as in, bolts, nuts, etc but i can't seem to find some of the components required. If you follow the link to my specific vehicle's exhaust design (2005 Honda Civic Reverb):

http://torontohondaparts.com/Honda/C...TEC_LEAN)/5312

you will see that they do list the bolts that go through the manifold cover into the engine (#9) and the list the nut that you put on the bolts that are threaded into the engine (#11), but for the life of me I cannot find the actual bolts that are threaded into the engine, as in, the bolt that the #11 nut threads onto.

I have tried looking through all the different views to see if I can find this bolt, but with no luck. Anyone have the Honda part number or how I can find it?

ALSO, does anyone have any advise on performthing this particular task? I am well aware of the necessity of having a drill and a tap for WHEN one of the bolts break off and I have to drill them out of the engine but any advise on how to get some of these bolts/nuts loose without breaking them?

Thanks!
Old 09-25-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Replacing Exhaust Manifold Gasket

I cannot find the actual bolts that are threaded into the engine,
The manifold studs are grouped with the cylinder head. Part #16 here: http://torontohondaparts.com/Honda/CIVIC/2005/2door/REVERB_%28AC%29/engine/CYLINDER_HEAD_%28SOHC%29/5320

Really, you should get the heat shield off it first and see exactly where your leakage originates (I'll just guess the manifold casting is cracked---- hardware and gaskets won't fix that.)

Eyes and ears first.....then maybe if the leak source isn't obvious then get a length of hose and hold it to your ear, probe the other end around to locate the leak while the engine is running.

And for all the head gaskets I have done on this engine, I rarely see manifold stud problems. I just blast them off with an impact gun or air ratchet....I figure I can drill out any that break when the head is on the workbench later NBD.

If any feel "iffy" when trying to loosen.....I will torch the nut. Heat can be your friend.

If you gotta drill, you may need a right angle drill (because a full size drill may not fit in there) .... drill on center and use left hand drill bits, hopefully the bit will just walk the broken piece out when it catches.