7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Torquing lugnuts

Old 09-25-2014
I am Epic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted
Torquing lugnuts

Is it bad to do it with the car in the air? Almost every shop here torques your lugnuts with the car still in the air. THey dont bother lowering it first. They say it doesnt harm anything.

WIth the car in the air, wouldnt this mean that your wheels wouldnt turn as smoothly/fast? Since the weight of the wheel will be put on the lugnuts when its in the air.
Old 09-25-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Torquing lugnuts

Almost every shop here torques your lugnuts with the car still in the air.
They are doing it right.

WIth the car in the air, wouldnt this mean that your wheels wouldnt turn as smoothly/fast?
WUt? 0_o

Since the weight of the wheel will be put on the lugnuts when its in the air.
If it's on the ground then you have 1500 KG of CAR sitting on them....as opposed to 15 KG of wheel and tire hanging in the air.
Besides, the weight of the wheel normally hangs on the hub when everything is right, not the lug studs.

If doing it in the driveway, I would only lower the wheel enough to keep it from turning while I torque the nuts. Not the full weight of the car on it.

Methinks you thinks too much sometimes.
Old 09-26-2014
I am Epic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted
Re: Torquing lugnuts

Originally Posted by ezone
They are doing it right.

WUt? 0_o

If it's on the ground then you have 1500 KG of CAR sitting on them....as opposed to 15 KG of wheel and tire hanging in the air.
Besides, the weight of the wheel normally hangs on the hub when everything is right, not the lug studs.

If doing it in the driveway, I would only lower the wheel enough to keep it from turning while I torque the nuts. Not the full weight of the car on it.

Methinks you thinks too much sometimes.
Okay, didnt know that if the car was on the ground and then the lugnuts torqued, the weight of the car is put on the wheels. Thanks for clearing it up.

I always thought the car had to be at ride height for the lugnuts to be torqued.