7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

New here and not sure where to start on maintenance

Old 09-17-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
codeninja is an unknown quantity at this point
New here and not sure where to start on maintenance

I have an 01 Civic LX Automatic with 220Kmiles. I do the general maintenance like tires, oil, brakes....when needed but I'm not sure what else to look for or how to look for it.

I had it tuned up around 120k miles I think and the transmission was replaced at 200K miles. I have the Hayes manual for it but don't know where to look. I'd rather not put a lot of money into it (It's paid off) but if there are other little things I can do to tune it up and increase performance, I'd like to know. I'd like to extend its life as long as I can obviously but I'm not putting anymore serious money into it.

Like for instance, how do I tell if the spark plugs need replacing? Or sensors? There are currently no error codes in the system (I have an OBD2 plug and the Torque android app).

Thanks!

Last edited by codeninja; 09-17-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-17-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: New here and not sure where to start on maintenance

your haynes manual and your owners manual (if you have it) both have maintanance schedules in them and tell you what is recommended at certain intervals (mileage or months/years), so that is a good general guideline to follow,

when is the last time you changed your timing belt? it is recommended every 7 years or 100k miles, if you are over those numbers then that should be your number one priority,

sensors dont normally get replaced unless they fail, if they fail your CEL will come on

stock spark plugs last a long time easy 100k miles or more, if they have never been changed then i would change them,

also throw in a new air filter and PCV valve if you cant recall the last time they were done

coolant should also be drained and filled if it hasnt been done in the last 5 years or so
Old 09-17-2014
Registered!!

Thanks.

I'm not worried so much about air filter. I have a K&N Air Filter.

How do I tell if the spark plugs need replacement?
Old 09-17-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by codeninja

How do I tell if the spark plugs need replacement?
i normally just go by mileage,

your biggest concern should be your timing belt, if it hasn't been replaced withing 7 years 100k miles
Old 09-17-2014
Registered!!

Thanks!