7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Civic SI

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timmcnamee is an unknown quantity at this point
Civic SI

I'm a die hard honda fan (aside from motorcycles). I've had 2 civics and 2 accords in my 16 year driving career. I currently have a 2010 accord, which I like, but recently I was given a larger sales territory and will be driving considerable distances totaling in approximately 20k annually. I'd rather not put that many miles on my accord, and the mileage pays a flat rate per mile, so the better the mileage , the more money I can stick in my pocket.

Which led me to looking at Civics, specifically the 2002-2005 si model. I've dug around online and haven't been able to get a straight answer on the following....

How reliable are they?

Any known issues?

What kind of fuel mileage do they get? I've read 38 and I've read 18, and everything in between.

What should I expect to pay for one? They range a LOT in price. I've seen a 2k price difference on essentially the same car.

Thanks for reading, I look forward to your responses.

Last edited by Timmcnamee; 08-24-2014 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-25-2014
Registered!!

Redneck_cdn will become famous soon enough
Re: Civic SI

I recently picked up an 04 Si 4dr with the D17A2 1.7L motor. Body was straight no rust, accidents or damage and with 260Km on it it needed alot of work to get it up to safety as the PO did maintenance by idiot lights.

They have been known to have issues with the output shaft bearing on the Manual transmissions (noisy) & early autos (01,02 ~03) where prone to going $outh with low mileage.

It the motor has ever been overheated expect to have the head checked at the machine shop and a new head gasket if you are experiencing random overheats or missing coolant.

If you are near the rust belt have the vehicle inspected prior to purchase as the brake lines can get eaten by excessive salt on the older cars on the firewall and divers side fender area below the master cylinder/ABS pump.

After doing all the updates/repairs myself, I am quite happy with the performance and fuel economy (+600kms/tank) for a daily driver as we put on +30k a year with kids in hockey and commuting to work. Pricing up in the great with north is always expensive but the 04/05 Lx/Ex/Si range from $3000->$4500 depending on trim level, mileage/condition and MTO safety is not always in the pricing.

Last edited by Redneck_cdn; 08-25-2014 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-25-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I think OP is referring to EP3 Si with k20.
Old 08-25-2014
Registered!!

cja3455 is an unknown quantity at this point

How reliable are they?
very reliable, I own one and they are great cars

Any known issues?
mainly understeer, but you can stiffen the rear end with a strut bar and bigger sway bar to overcome it

What kind of fuel mileage do they get? I've read 38 and I've read 18, and everything in between.
38 is a lot for these civics; the max you can get is about 30 on cool highway driving

What should I expect to pay for one? They range a LOT in price. I've seen a 2k price difference on essentially the same car.
depends on how clean it is, anywhere from 2k from an guy trying to get rid of his toy up to 8k from a clean dealership car
Old 08-25-2014
Registered!!

Timmcnamee is an unknown quantity at this point

Great feedback, thanks. I'm thinking it'll be necessary to travel to find what I'm looking for. If anyone hears of anything local, message me. I'm limiting my color choices to white and blue, but would really prefer white. Definitely no black!