7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HELP! 04 civic battery light and oil light came on and stalled when coming to a stop

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
timebombmarie is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow HELP! 04 civic battery light and oil light came on and stalled when coming to a stop

04 civic lx coupe 5speed vtech

Just bought it this week. Engine light was on when purchased. Dealer said it was an O2 sensor and that they would replace it as soon as the correct part came in. Pulling codes p1298 p0135

Here's the problem :
I was driving home from work and heard a belt squeal when I came to a stop. At the next stop, as I was braking the oil pressure light came on and the battery light at the same time and the car stalled. Started right back up, no oil or battery light on and does the same thing every time I come to a stop.

Car has driven like a beauty until now out of no where. I've got to drive it a whole 150 miles O.o

I'm sure the dealer I bought from would look in to it for me, only problem is that it's an hour away and the car stalls everytime you slow down for a stop.

Not sure how to diagnose this.

Could it be alternator arching? Or needs replacing? Or is it the o2 causing more issues? No idea, haven't been able to find anything with the same symptoms.

I've only owned or worked on a 93 Civic and 95 Accord so simple, right to the point, easy to fix. I'm only 5 days into owning my first 7th gen and have alot to learn. Definitely alot more complicated. Thanks in advance for your input! Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Old 08-09-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: HELP! 04 civic battery light and oil light came on and stalled when coming to a s

the oil and battery light coming on when the engine stalls is normal, that is just telling you the lights are working properly, if they come on when the engine is running there is a problem,

when the car is stalling does it seem like the car still wants to go? like its "lurching" forward?.....this would indicate your clutch is not disengaging properly,
Old 08-09-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: HELP! 04 civic battery light and oil light came on and stalled when coming to a s

.this would indicate your clutch is not disengaging properly,
Hate to ask the obvious, but is OP pushing the clutch in when coming to a stop?

P1298 is for the ELD, a very common issue. Cheap DIY replacement if you do that, like $23 online @Majestic(link)-- or about $33 for the part from a Honda dealership.

Squeal, alternator belt?
Are the alternator mounting bolts loose?

Have dealer fix the problem when you go back for the sensor replacement: you got the 30 day warranty, right?
Would the seller cover the expense of you visiting a local shop?

Dealer is 150 miles away? Why would you go so far to get a car, when these things should be all over the place?