7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Transmission case cracked

Old 08-08-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
layin-lo is an unknown quantity at this point
Transmission case cracked

Just replaced the transmission input shaft bearing in my '03 and got it all back together - runs great but just noticed this small crack in the transmission housing right around the thread area for the plug you pull to access the countershaft set ring that seals the two halves of the case together.. not sure if the ring was all the way seated because there was a high pitch whining the first time I started the engine for about five seconds or so, or either maybe I stressed the case trying to get the damn thing to set in the first place. At this point I have a seam in the case that's not supposed to be there.. Anyone know if JB weld or something like that would work on this? Thx.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140808_151406_901.jpg
Views:	736
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	86956  
Old 08-08-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Transmission case cracked

Anyone know if JB weld or something like that would work on this?
Got a welding shop that can do aluminum?
Old 08-08-2014
*watches temp gauge like a hawkboss* :D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of light

Ouch...

For a trans, I would not trust JB Weld. For crawling home to avoid a strand, maybe... but I agree with a proper weld to solve this permanently.

Thing with welding cast aluminum though... the porosity of a cast alumnum part affects how well the weld takes (forging solves this well... but I don't know if Honda automotive trans cases are forged).

I had a cast/machined sidestand ear snap off in my infamous 70-mph-into-tirewall track crash on my bike years ago... had a skilled welder and racing bud offer to repair it for a song... he had a helluva time building up the material, esp on an upside-down area (the ear was located under the case... which promptly taught me to remove sidestands from *any* bike seeing track duty ). But we got it done... barely.

Points to how you NEED a skilled shop that specializes in these kind of repairs, to do it right. In the end you want a repair that's stronger than the original part, and that takes more than lip service.
Old 08-10-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
layin-lo is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, the deed is done - took a dremel tool with a long straight diamond tip and Vee-d out the crack, even tried drilling into at at one end but i couldn't get a good angle and the bit broke off inside . Think they call that stitching it, but whatever. At that point I had half a mind just to get out the Oxy torch and have a go at it, but I've never done any aluminum before. Have to say, I felt a little like a dentist trying to patch up a tooth that really should have a crown, and I even used enough Brake-kleen it kinda felt like there was a little nitrous in the room.. heheh. So now just get to watch it and see how long it holds, drove it hard for about 40 miles in all gears and everything is real smooth, just hope the tranny fluid doesn't eat through that JB weld any time soon. Cheers
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140809_112734_840.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	86963   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140809_120547_248.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	86964   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140810_173514_628.jpg
Views:	1306
Size:	64.7 KB