7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Keyless entry and electric door lock questions

Old 08-05-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mrlittlejohn is an unknown quantity at this point
Keyless entry and electric door lock questions

I just picked up a 2002 Civic LX with 235K miles and purrs like a kitten.

I received one key and that is all. Did these cars have keyless entry ability?

I noticed there is electric locks, but my switch does not work. But if I lock the drivers front door, all doors lock. So a sentry system is in place.

Can keyless FOBs be purchased and programmed to the ECM?

Any pointer on what may be wrong with the door lock/unlock switch on the drivers door? Anything commonly go wrong with them?

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Old 08-05-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Keyless entry and electric door lock questions

Did these cars have keyless entry ability?
As a dealer add on accessory. (Separate control unit)
EX came from the factory wth keyless.

Can keyless FOBs be purchased and programmed to the ECM?
Only if keyless entry was added.
but my switch does not work.
Good chance someone had the door panel off and left it unplugged (pull handle cup off and look)...or bad switch or wiring issue.
Old 08-05-2014
Registered!!

Thanks EZONE!

Now I don't need to spend the money on a FOB that most likely will not work as it most likely did not have the add on upgrade done.

I am looking to have an alarm installed and that should interface with the lock and unlock power system, I am thinking.

Question about the keys. I only received one key. I see these have chips in them now. Where is the best economical place to buy them that will program them also?

I know my Excursion has this, a replacement at Wal Mart is $50 including programming it. If I have 2 programmed keys, I can program a new key once it has been cut.

Can this be done on these cars also?

Thanks again !

Mike
Old 08-05-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

NO you can't DIY key programming.

IDK if Wallyworld et al can program or clone your key.

Locksmith is a possible option IF they have spent coin to be tooled up for these cars.
In my area they can't, dealer is the only place....

Dealer can definitely hook you up. Call around if you have other dealers nearby, we don't all have the same prices.

02 uses a regular key, not the sidewinder--right?
Old 08-24-2014
Registered!!

OK...

Wal Mart can do the keys. They are $30 cut and coded out the door. We have a spare key now.

As for the door locks, I think I know what is going on. We have the MICU issue !

Originally, only sympton noticed was the door lock button. Although, if you locked the drivers door, all doors would lock.

Just last week, the A/C stopped, the interior dome light will not light up, the electric locks don't work at all and we have no chimes. I don't remember if there were chimes when we purchased it or not.

I removed the MICU twice yesterday and opened it up. The first inspection revealed several cold solder connections (using a magnifying glass). I went through and corrected those problems and hoped I may have fixed it. Install showed no change in habits of the car. I removed, opened it up and inspected it again and found no other solder issues. I guess something is damaged in the MICU electronically.

I have ordered one from Honda of Lisle to be delivered Wednesday. My son will have to install it where he is at. I drew up a map of all connections front and back and put it inside the car. I think he will be able to do it himself. I will keep my fingers crossed that this fixes it all.

Mike
Old 08-24-2014

Just last week, the A/C stopped, the interior dome light will not light up, the electric locks don't work at all and we have no chimes. I don't remember if there were chimes when we purchased it or not.

I removed the MICU twice yesterday and opened it up. The first inspection revealed several cold solder connections (using a magnifying glass). I went through and corrected those problems and hoped I may have fixed it. Install showed no change in habits of the car. I removed, opened it up and inspected it again and found no other solder issues. I guess something is damaged in the MICU electronically.

I have ordered one from Honda of Lisle to be delivered Wednesday. My son will have to install it where he is at. I drew up a map of all connections front and back and put it inside the car. I think he will be able to do it himself. I will keep my fingers crossed that this fixes it all.
MICU, that sucks...but glad you figured it out. Yes there are a ton of systems that run through it -- and newer cars have even more. At least you won't have to reprogram the immobilizer upon replacement of yours, if it was an 8th gen or newer you would.
And yes the car should have had a chime (beeper).