7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Rear main oil seal leaking?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
layin-lo is an unknown quantity at this point
Rear main oil seal leaking?

Got the transmission out of my '03 to replace the input shaft bearing, and noticed this trail of oil down the pan behind the flywheel - I replaced the oil pan gasket and found several of those bolts loose, but just wondering if it would be worthwhile to replace the rear main oil seal while I'm in here - heard mixed reviews of how tough it is to replace it without leaking, not sure if I should worry about it later or just do it since I'm in here anyway.. does this look like the pan leaking or the seal?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2003 Civic oil leak behind flywheel.jpg
Views:	5111
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	86941  
Old 08-04-2014
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rear main oil seal leaking?

To me it looks like the oil pan... But I'm no professional.
Old 08-04-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I would just do it while you have the trans off for the ISB. I have never done one though so I don't know how difficult it is to do.
Old 08-05-2014
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

If you decide to tackle the rear main seal. Please make sure you get an OEM part and thoroughly read through the shop manual on proper replacement... I really hope it doesn't leak when you replace it.
Old 08-10-2014
Registered!!

layin-lo is an unknown quantity at this point

So I had basically decided to not replace the rear main seal, mostly because all I could find were horror stories online about these things leaking - I went in and hosed mine down with Brake-kleen and was getting ready to put the flywheel back on, when I saw just a hint of oil around the inner edge. When I pressed on it oil seeped out from behind, so I knew it had to come out. I took a small screwdriver and carefully jammed it in along the outer edge of the seal, without removing the seal retainer housing from the block, and pried it out. Once it was out, it was obvious where it had been leaking. The new seal came from Honda pre-lubed on the inside lip that rides along the crankshaft bushing, and so I just cleaned everything bone dry with brake cleaner then applied a sheen of oil to the crankshaft bushing surface (where the inner lip of the seal rides) and set it on there by hand - it practically jumped into place. I had measured the distances from the outer edge of the old seal to the outer edge of the crankshaft bushing, and also to the edge of the seal housing before I removed the old one, and could feel the new one settle in against the rear lip of the seal housing on one side - then all I did was tap it into place all around with a small brass punch, and it was set. It's been driven about 100 miles now with no signs of leaking at all.. Would definitely recommend replacing whenever you are in deep enough to access it..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140809_162101_529.jpg
Views:	2934
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	86968   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140805_165617_619.jpg
Views:	5400
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	86969  
Old 08-17-2014
Whachya lookin at?

Good all the best I hope it works out for you! When I remove my transmission I will be replacing mine as well.
Old 09-17-2014
Registered!!

nsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura aboutnsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura about

There is a TSB for 1996-2001 Honda civic for rear main seal leaking.
Attached Files