7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ignition Cylinder swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014
Registered!!

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts
chozobody is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Ignition Cylinder swap

Have a question for you guys, ezone specifically. My Ignition Cylinder seems to have gone out, and I'm curious as to swapping a new one from a donor. I know I would need to match submodels along with MT, but I need to know what else would be necessary. If I got the ecu and the keys from the donor car as well, would it be a simple PnP installation, or would I need to get everything reflashed? What other options do I have?
Old 07-02-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ignition Cylinder swap

Originally Posted by chozobody
Have a question for you guys, ezone specifically. My Ignition Cylinder seems to have gone out, and I'm curious as to swapping a new one from a donor. I know I would need to match submodels along with MT, but I need to know what else would be necessary. If I got the ecu and the keys from the donor car as well, would it be a simple PnP installation, or would I need to get everything reflashed? What other options do I have?
If you swapped with used lock and keys and immobi ring, you'd have to get it all programmed to your PCM before the engine would run because of the immobilizer.

That usually means a tow to the dealer or a call to a very well equipped locksmith with the appropriate scanner.
And you'll have mismatched keys for the door and ignition.

----

If you get the keys/ignition lock/immobi ring/ AND the PCM as a matched set all from the same car, they should all be PnP and work.
But you'll have mismatched keys for the door and ignition.

---

OTOH you can call your local dealer and ask if they can retumble your ignition cylinder (because it's got worn out tumblers) and what that would cost if you carried it in, already removed from the car. (And add about $4 for two new tamper proof bolts)

Be forewarned, many times when I do this the key is also worn out and must be replaced with the tumblers. That means a programming session to make that new key start the engine.

But IF you have a good condition (less worn) key, you may be able to use that, no programming.

Hell, a good key might let you drive the car some more. For a minute anyway.

Last edited by ezone; 07-02-2014 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-02-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone

Hell, a good key might let you drive the car some more. For a minute anyway.

Thats the whole reason I'm doing it now. Even the new key dosen't work. Would any Honda dealership be able to repin my tumbler? If so, that sounds like a better option.
Old 07-03-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Thats the whole reason I'm doing it now. Even the new key dosen't work. Would any Honda dealership be able to repin my tumbler? If so, that sounds like a better option.

You'll have to ask your dealer. If they don't give the answer you need, call another.

Remember, you will talk to everyone BUT the techs that may know about it. Advisors may not have any clue what you want. They may not have any clue this is possible....unless they have successfully dealt with the issue already.

Some won't have anyone capable of the task.
Some probably have no idea where their tumbler kit is, or never got a kit.
Some will want to sell you all brand new because profit.

There isn't information on procedures for rekeying these ignition locks in the service manual. In fact, there is a bulletin stating NOT to rekey ignition locks (for some reason --- I don't know why, I do it quite often)...so some probably won't just because of that.

Last edited by ezone; 07-03-2014 at 12:41 AM.
Old 07-03-2014
Registered!!

Ill call around first thing in the morning. Worst case, ill pay you directly if you could help me out.

Thanks for all your help man. I found some threads you helped out with a while ago, so I knew you were the guy for the job. Holy **** though, you have an 87 Mazda B-Series? I used to have an 87 B2000 myself. Traded it not to long ago for my 89 RX-7.
Old 07-03-2014

Holy **** though, you have an 87 Mazda B-Series? I used to have an 87 B2000 myself. Traded it not to long ago for my 89 RX-7.
I've had the truck for 20 years now. Just renewed the license plate.
I wouldn't own a rotor motor.
PM if you need to.
Old 07-03-2014
Registered!!

Good News! I got the bolts out! Took a dremel, my drill, a screw extractor kit and a hammer, but I got it. Picked up some new bolts already with the same thread pitch and size, but I got an allen wrench head style bolt for it, to save me the trouble next time.

Even better news, I found three dealers who would be willing to retumble my cylinder. Lowest price I got was $119, which seemed more than reasonable.

Thanks for all your help ezone, couldn't have done it without your help!
Old 07-03-2014

Sounds reasonable to me (mainly because a shop has to charge the same labor rate as regular car work).... Good luck.