7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

door lock actuator problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point
door lock actuator problem

I have a 2004 honda civic ex and my passenger side door lock actuator is bad. I have followed/read many of the actuator threads and I am running across a problem I can't seem to figure out. Googling doesn't yield much help either.

I know it is my actuator b/c when I reattach the power, I hear/see the green lever move, where it didn't with the old actuator. I have put it in, with the door lock in the "lock" position, and it seems to work, but after pressing the lock/unlock switch on the driver door, it seems to "bump" the green switch out of alignment and I can't get it back without removing the actuator and reinstalling it. One thing I am doing that I didn't see in any of the DIYs is that I am just removing the actuator by itself, without removing the lock assembly. Removing the lock assembly requires the three screws on the side of the door.

I think what I am missing is some way to attach the green switch (or lever) to the door lock.

Any help would be appreciated!

Found a youtube video which mentions a plastic rod that goes through the green lever. At 2:10

Last edited by Fuego; 06-29-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-29-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: door lock actuator problem

My $.02
Get one of these hand impact drivers from Sears or DangerZone and just take the latch out (use #3 Phillips bit) so you can assemble the lock actuator where you can see what's going on, and make sure it works before you put it back in.
Old 07-01-2014
Registered!!

Thanks for the reply ezone. I figured that I would need to take the whole assembly out, but I had read that people had replaced the actuator without removing the whole assembly and I was hoping someone who had done it could offer a little insight.

I grabbed a couple of #3 phillips bits at the store last night. I will probably pick up the impact driver this weekend. I am hoping there will be some July 4th sales going on. I am eyeing the Crafstman driver from Sears. $15 right now.

I also read that you can take one of the #3 bits and a ratcheting wrench and get them out that way. One of the suggestions was to tighten it a bit first, then loosen it. The idea was that by tightening it, you "unstick" it, then it should loosen easier.
Old 07-01-2014
Registered!!

Also, forgot to ask what was the best way to reseal the moisture barrier? I am pretty sure the old "glue" will not stick to the door anymore.
Old 07-01-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I also read that you can take one of the #3 bits and a ratcheting wrench and get them out that way. One of the suggestions was to tighten it a bit first, then loosen it. The idea was that by tightening it, you "unstick" it, then it should loosen easier.
Yeah but the first time that bit jumps out of the screw head, it's done. The impact driver works by driving the bit straight into the head of the screw as it turns, therefore keeping it from jumping out and damaging the bit or screw.

Also, forgot to ask what was the best way to reseal the moisture barrier? I am pretty sure the old "glue" will not stick to the door anymore.
Most of the time I only peel (or cut the glue with a razor blade) the liner from the top so as to not disturb the bottom "rain gutter" section......that stuff will usually restick decently as long as you don't tear the plastic or get dirt in the goo. I really don't know where to get more of the gluey stuff either. Try dumdum, caulking, RTV, duct tape?