7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Engine Oil Capacity Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G_ROBB89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine Oil Capacity Recommendations

I recently changed the oil on my '04 EX 1.7L

I did not have the manual with me so I replenished with 4 quarts...later I saw the manual recommends 3.5 quarts.

I have not noticed any significant changes in the performance of my vehicle.

I have checked the oil when hot but each time I put the dipstick back into the engine and pull it out the oil reading is never accurate because on one side of the dipstick there is oil at certain level and on the other side the oil is at another level.

I DO NOT KNOW IF I SHOULD DRAIN SOME OIL OR IF I AM OKAY WITH IT WHERE IT IS. Like I said, the oil dipstick reading is not giving me an accurate idea of if I have too much oil in the engine or just right.

Ideas or recommendations anybody? Anybody have the same problem reading the oil dipstick with the '04, is there a certain way I should be placing the dipstick back into the engine?
Old 04-22-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Engine Oil Capacity Recommendations

Check the oil when the engine is cold, on level ground.

Dipstick only goes in one way.
Old 04-22-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

you should drain some out, 4 quarts is way too much,

when i change my oil and filter i normally put in about 3.2 liters, then i start it up for a few mins, shut it off and check it, with the 3.2 liters in there its normally pretty close to the full mark, if i have to add a bit more its not very much,
Old 04-22-2014
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

it doesn't really matter which way the dipstick goes in as long as the engine is cold and level. and definitely don't just wing it if you ever change your transmission fluid.
Old 04-22-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

It's a whole lot easier to add a little to bring it up to proper level than it is to overfill and have to drain some out.
Old 04-26-2014
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ezone
It's a whole lot easier to add a little to bring it up to proper level than it is to overfill and have to drain some out.
Second that. It is important to note that the fill level is a range for a reason. It is far worse on an engine to be overfull than it is to be a tad under max fill. Like someone said that is too much oil.
Old 04-27-2014
Registered!!

Warminwisco is an unknown quantity at this point

What should the dipstick read? I had a Honda oil change and asked the tech to show me the dipstick after the oil change when I picked it up. It was like 1/3 of an inch above the top hole? Sound correct?
Old 04-27-2014
Registered!!

I got pictures off the net. Thanks I will check it again I have to pick it up at the dealer. If it again is above the top dot I will call the dealer.
Old 04-27-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I read the engine oil dipstick within a minute of shutting the engine off. Actually more like 15 seconds in the shop during an oil change.

If you let it sit too long before reading, the oil can drain out of the horizontally mounted oil filter and falsely elevate the indication on the dipstick.
Old 04-27-2014
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Warminwisco
What should the dipstick read? I had a Honda oil change and asked the tech to show me the dipstick after the oil change when I picked it up. It was like 1/3 of an inch above the top hole? Sound correct?
1/3 inch?....that sounds like its too high, overfilled
Old 04-27-2014

I wonder what it reads if he checks immediately after shutting the engine off.
Old 04-27-2014
Registered!!

I will let ya know, I took it to the dealer and it was 1 1/2 quarts low at 4k miles with 63k miles so he suggested I pull the plugs put a capful of Marvel Oil in the plug holes and let it soak. They said it is something they do on more Accords than civics. Got a compression tester also so I need to check specs on compression. Thanks I will check it right after shut off. Great site!!!
Old 04-28-2014
*watches temp gauge like a hawkboss* :D

kinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone
If you let it sit too long before reading, the oil can drain out of the horizontally mounted oil filter and falsely elevate the indication on the dipstick.
Does this apply on oil filters with anti-drainback valves? I use a NAPA Gold filter with one and never see any change during my tire fill-ups (check about 1 min after shutting down on a level surface), nor after it's sat all night on the curb (also level ground).

I thought most spin-ons nowadays had them, that's the issue they were designed to eliminate... then again, I've only used Bosch (meh), K&N (awesome), NAPA Gold/Platinum (default go-to), or OEM filters on my cars and bikes, and IIRC all of them had the little diaphragm valve or similar.
Old 04-28-2014

kinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Warminwisco
I will let ya know, I took it to the dealer and it was 1 1/2 quarts low at 4k miles with 63k miles so he suggested I pull the plugs put a capful of Marvel Oil in the plug holes and let it soak. They said it is something they do on more Accords than civics. Got a compression tester also so I need to check specs on compression. Thanks I will check it right after shut off. Great site!!!
Marvel Mystery Oil, huh... wonder what have convinced that dealer's techs that it's going to do anything, soaking cold in a head (moreso, if they don't rotate each piston to TDC when they put it in). Let us know if it actually does anything... obviously skeptical, but if results back it up, I'm not above turnabout...

The top hole on the dipstick is intended to show you what the max capacity of the crankcase should be -- 1/3" above that is way too much oil. Just enough to cover that hole is ideal... otherwise not only does the oiling system run on unfiltered bypass all the time, but crank windage will rob power and mpg.
Old 04-28-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by kinakoes2
Does this apply on oil filters with anti-drainback valves? I use a NAPA Gold filter with one and never see any change during my tire fill-ups (check about 1 min after shutting down on a level surface), nor after it's sat all night on the curb (also level ground).
im not sure, however its always best to check your oil when its warm, as ezone suggested, right after you shut the engine off
Old 04-28-2014

Originally Posted by mikey1
im not sure, however its always best to check your oil when its warm, as ezone suggested, right after you shut the engine off
Very interesting. Will just monitor and note though, as I don't see a difference hot or cold, which is the purpose of anti-drainback filters.