7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Help Choicing Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tunedx is an unknown quantity at this point
Help Choicing Clutch

What clutch do u guys recommend to replace the oem? I have 250,000km and torn between Sachs, Exedy, Luk, Beck and Arnley. Also do u recommend replacing the flywheel, resurfacing it or just using some emery cloth if it doesn't have any major scatches or deep grooves in it?
Old 04-13-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Help Choicing Clutch

stock OEM clutch, nothing else will be any better
Old 04-13-2014
Registered!!

Which clutch best suits oem? Exedy, Luk, Beck and Arnley or Sach? I don't wanna buy from Honda...
Old 04-13-2014
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Exedy OEM replacement will do you fine. It'll be much cheaper than a dealership.

Mikey, I'm assuming you mean "stock replacement, but not necessarily a stock Honda OEM clutch," right? Otherwise, I'd have to disagree. That would be like saying OEM brake pads > everything else.
Old 04-13-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Go with Exedy OE replacement.

If the flywheel can be resurfaced then it should be. If its beyond resurfacing then replace. Great time to put in a lightweight flywheel!
Old 04-13-2014
Registered!!

Anyone heard of Sachs or Luk clutches?
Old 04-13-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
Go with Exedy OE replacement.

If the flywheel can be resurfaced then it should be. If its beyond resurfacing then replace. Great time to put in a lightweight flywheel!
I know its generally rule of thumb to get flywheel resurfaced upon clutch replacement. I'm at 250,000km and if the flywheel doesn't have any visible groves or deep scratches is it still required to get it resurfaced? I was just going to clean it up with emery cloth if it didn't look too bad....

Last edited by tunedx; 04-13-2014 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-13-2014
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

never heard of those two brands

As far as the resurfacing goes, though...
I'd take it to a shop to get it looked at, at the very least. They'll tell you if they need to resurface it or not. Worst case scenario, they resurface it and it's another $30 out of your pocket.
Old 04-14-2014
*watches temp gauge like a hawkboss* :D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tunedx
Anyone heard of Sachs or Luk clutches?
Sachs is the same company as ZF, the transmission manufacturer... German, so if it's made in Germany, you can bet it conforms to TÜV standard, which insures you get pretty well-engineered parts, if not always cheap. ... however I'd make sure it's the same Sachs before plunking down your grip.

LuK is also a German company, so if made in Germany, TÜV applies (not if it's made elsewhere, though). No idea on fitment... but in general German parts go best with German cars. May need to seek a more firsthand bit of advice though.
Old 04-15-2014
Tempus Fugit

hyperhonda2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have the exedy stage 3 clutch and i like it, there is however noise from the clutch but not a whole lot, grip is good and engages great