7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

'01 Civic LX auto Trans problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motox20 is an unknown quantity at this point
'01 Civic LX auto Trans problem

As I was driving the RPMs spiked as if I was in neutral, there was no noise or warning, just started revving up. Got it home and added some fluid after noticing it was low. Now when I start the car it engages most of the time, and will drive normally(sometimes with slippage), and sometimes just starts revving like in neutral again, when that happens all I have to do is turn it off and back on and it engages fine again. I have so little time with night classes and work, I've done some research and saw that 7th gen has Trans problems, but I know so little about transmission repair or troubleshooting. I can just swap it out no problem, or tear the engine down to the block without thinking about it, but transmissions are my Achilles heel...

Is there anything I can try before resorting to just swapping it out? Also if it comes to that do you know anywhere I can get get a decent used Trans for relatively cheap? I'm in Michigan, Metro Detroit area, if it makes a difference. Really all I need is to get it working well enough to use as a trade in for a lease, to cover most of the $ down needed. I was actually on my way to clean it out and go up to a few dealers to see what my options for a trade in where when this happened.....great timing huh?

Also one last thing if I could, I can't find my manual, how do I know what Trans I have, CVT or not I mean. The guy at the local auto parts store gave me fluid that says not to use in CVT. IIRC a CVT requires only Z1 fluid but non CVT can use Dexron III or equivalent. Any and all help is appreciated.
Old 04-06-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: '01 Civic LX auto Trans problem

Originally Posted by Motox20
The guy at the local auto parts store gave me fluid that says not to use in CVT. IIRC a CVT requires only Z1 fluid but non CVT can use Dexron III or equivalent. Any and all help is appreciated.
these auto transmissions are very sensitive to fluid, they only seem to like honda OEM ATF.....if you have put anything else in, you have made a huge mistake,

when is the last time you have the fluid changed?
Old 04-06-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Is there anything I can try before resorting to just swapping it out?
Prayer?
Crying?
Voodoo?
Transmission dance?

Old 07-10-2017
Registered!!

mdyer88 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same problem, just when I turn the car off and back on it is a toss up if it re engages again. My car was throwing a torque converter solenoid code also. I am wondering if I need to change the torque converter or what?

My car also has been overheating, an I read that could be because of the torque converter. If anyone knows anything I could do to fix it please help.

Also what could putting the wrong transmission fluid in it cause?

Last edited by mdyer88; 07-10-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Old 07-12-2017
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Sounds like you may have a transmission issue AND a head gasket issue. I hope you don't but if that was the case it would be too expensive to repair for the age of the vehicle.
Old 07-17-2017
Registered!!

babbshonda has a spectacular aura aboutbabbshonda has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ezone
Prayer?
Crying?
Voodoo?
Transmission dance?

Old 07-17-2017
Registered!!

babbshonda has a spectacular aura aboutbabbshonda has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by mdyer88
I am wondering if I need to change the torque converter or what?

My car also has been overheating, an I read that could be because of the torque converter. If anyone knows anything I could do to fix it please help.

Also what could putting the wrong transmission fluid in it cause?
Yes. You need to replace the torque converter. The torque converter fails in many of these and particles from the converter stop up the filter in the transmission, which in turn starves the trans from fluid.

Putting the wrong fluid could cause the clutches to slip. Only use OEM Honda Fluid and NEVER power flush. Drain and refill only.

The transmission has nothing to do with your car overheating. Most likely your headgasket is failing. Also a VERY COMMON issue with the d17's.