7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Motor change

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ScottMorrison is an unknown quantity at this point
Motor change

I have 2001 ex with 270000 miles. I'm replacing the motor in it. I would like to pull just the motor without the transmission. Is that possible? I'm also replacing the clutch. Should I buy honda parts or is their a better aftermarket clutch. It's going to be stock.
Thanks Scott
Old 03-13-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Motor change

If it was an automatic I'd say yes, but it isn't.

I would either remove the trans first, or drop the entire drivetrain out the bottom as a unit (my preference).

I suspect there isn't enough room to separate them in the car to pull just the engine. You won't clear the clutch/input shaft, nor will you get them reassembled cleanly.
Old 03-13-2014
*watches temp gauge like a hawkboss* :D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of light

@ezone: so these drivetrains are designed to drop out first, then manual trans removed... reverse to reinstall, huh... that's disappointing. So without a set of very high jackstands or a 4-corner lift, not to mention an HD jack with a platform attached to it, there's no way to remove the trans without also removing the engine as a unit.

My wrenching facilities are the parking lot of my apartment complex and any of my tools from storage... so a new clutch throwout/clutch requires the services of the ripoff shops around here, then... ah well.
Old 03-13-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I can't tell you that they are DESIGNED to be done that way.....(Sometimes I seriously believe the cars are only designed to be assembled with no further thought about servicing later on in life.) I just think OP won't get the engine to come far enough apart to clear the input/pressure plate if the trans is anchored in the engine bay. THEN get it all lined up straight to get the splines to go together when it comes time to put it back in? Doubt it.

Maybe it all will come out the top as a unit? IDK I never tried it.

Dropping the drivetrain as a unit out the bottom is my personal preference if the engine has to come out and it's a manual trans.
Also it might depend on the job, and my mood as to how I get it done. (It's actually been a long time since I pulled a 7th gen engine now)
Set the subframe and drivetrain on stands, lift the body up, go to work.

One time I actually got a 7th gen trans pulled out far enough to change the clutch without removing the subframe or taking the trans out of the car...... wasn't easy and might have been faster to just do it the normal way LOL.

I do 8th gens out the bottom, I can have the whole mess on the ground in less than 2 hours. I watched the guy next to me r&r an auto trans in an 8th gen the other day, I wondered if I could drop the whole mess and change the trans faster than he did the r&r of the trans only.
Old 03-13-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ScottMorrison is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies. Out the bottom! Crap! I was afraid of that.
Old 03-13-2014

Originally Posted by ScottMorrison
Thanks for the replies. Out the bottom! Crap! I was afraid of that.
I do this for a living. I work in a shop, got all the equipment.

Out the bottom is my own preference.

Someone else in their own garage or driveway might take it out the top successfully.