7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Power Steering leak?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flatty is an unknown quantity at this point
Power Steering leak?

I had a thread a while back about an overheating(head gasket) issue. I ended up taking the car in to swap the motor(they had to do it twice). Since I have gotten the car back I have a fluid accumulation under the brake pedal area. I thought it might have been from the brakes but they are fine. I cannot seem to locate the exact source of the leak but I am low on power steering fluid and have been once already since i got it back so it seems that is leaking perhaps from the column or somewhere behind the carpet. My question is when I went to put some fluid in this morning I noticed that the fluid in there is red. The stuff I have been putting in is after market honda approved fluid that is clearish brown. Is there any Honda red ps fluid or did the mechanic that did the swap put something else in here? If so will changing it out help the leak any?

Thanks,
Old 01-03-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Power Steering leak?

Hondas PS fluid is brown.

ATF is red, and can damage the system. It is not supposed to be used.

Dig around under the dash, see where the fluid comes from and what it is.
Old 01-14-2014
No amateur/no professional

JJ291 is an unknown quantity at this point

It is possible that when they did the engine swap he moved the power steering reservoir up by the hood out of the way. Because it sat higher there was more fluid pressure at the steering rack and it sat there and leaked through the pinion seals. He may have put ATF in to top it off, but as ezone stated, that would not be good.

Changing the fluid is not likely to fix the leak. Where the pinion protrudes away from the steering rack through the firewall there is a big grommet. The leak is filling the grommet and spilling over the firewall hole into the carpet area. Put your finger in the hole that the pinion goes through to the steering wheel and bend it over the edge and see if you can feel a fluid level in there.

My car had the same problem several months ago and I replaced the steering rack. It was not a difficult job IMO and I am not a professional. I posted a thread under the DIY section (with pics).
Old 01-14-2014
No amateur/no professional

JJ291 is an unknown quantity at this point

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...geout-diy.html
Old 01-25-2014
Registered!!

flatty is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the info. I ended up getting a reman rack put in though I still have a ton of fluid on drivers side I am thinking so much is soaked into carpet it will take a while to get it out without a steam cleaner or something.