7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Installing K&N Air Intake on 03 civic

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NightHawk0217 is an unknown quantity at this point
Installing K&N Air Intake on 03 civic

I am getting ready to purchase a K&N Air Intake System for my 03 Civic EX coupe. How difficult is this to install? It looks fairly simple online but I do not have much experience installing aftermarket parts. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-31-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Installing K&N Air Intake on 03 civic

It is very simple. Just need to remove some bolts to remove the stock air box and then you are all set.
Old 12-31-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Too much turbulance... Google it.
Old 12-31-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

intake question ???
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	D6PfW.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	86224  
Old 01-01-2014
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Do some serious reading into intake turbulance before you buy it.. It might change your mind.
Old 01-01-2014
Registered!!

MPGFTW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
Do some serious reading into intake turbulance before you buy it.. It might change your mind.
Do you have any links to what you are suggesting we read? I have a K&N and would like to know.
Old 01-02-2014
Whachya lookin at?

A lot of thought goes into the OEM intake system. If you look it is quite complicated and much more expensive to create than a short ram intake. If a short ram or cold air intake truly were a better product, every car manufacturer by now would have implemented it with a sound resonator built in. Unfortunately where pretty much all aftermarket intake systems fall short is the turbulence control that is built into the stock intake. This is also where most of the research comes into play with OEM intakes.

Once there is turbulence inside the intake it prevents your sensors from working properly and could actually cause the engine to run rich or lean, shortening its life span. By how much? I can't say. This information is ESPECIALLY true on turbocharged engines where the A/F mixture is even more crucial, but it's also very important on our cars as well.

There are companies out there that make honeycomb filters for aftermarket intakes that will decrease the turbulence in the intake but they scare me because they tend to be plastic. If a piece of this gets sucked into the engine there could be some pretty severe damage.

Here is a pretty good read on intakes as a whole, just ignore all the subaru references:

http://www.mysubie.com/faq?id=16

More good stuff:

http://www.cobbtuning.com/Technical-...es-s/70677.htm

Take it for what you will but aftermarket intakes also don't filter nearly as good as a paper filter. Lemme Explain. The technology used by aftermarket intakes is generally derived from race cars and cars that get their engines rebuilt very frequently. This creates more airflow, more power, and less filtration. One of the biggest selling points of intakes is "Cold air", and "High Flow". But realistically. To achieve more air there has to be compensation somewhere, which is with the filter.

K&N Will flat out TELL you that their filters are not as good as OEM paper filters. I can't find it now but here:

http://www.knfilters.ca/77series.aspx

My favorite line:

The oversize air filter also captures more dirt increasing the service life before each cleaning is required (up to 100,000 miles).

This is referring to other K&N filters, NOT an OEM paper filter. But.. If you are trapping more dirt, doesn't that mean the filter will need to be cleaned more frequently... or am I just a dumbass?

Don't believe what is written on websites from the manufacturers. A lot of their information is misleading. I found this while searching, it seems informative:

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

There are even more downfalls to K&N filters however. If you run cold air there is always the risk of sucking up water and hydro locking your engine. Then you have to keep in mind that aluminum pipes tend to get soaked with heat relatively fast which will negate any gains you might see from an intake. This is especially true over long drives.

So.. Keep this in mind when looking for an intake. There is only 2 REAL reasons to buy them.

1. Looks
2. Sound
Old 01-02-2014
Registered!!

A lot of thought goes into the OEM intake system. If you look it is quite complicated and much more expensive to create than a short ram intake. If a short ram or cold air intake truly were a better product, every car manufacturer by now would have implemented it with a sound resonator built in. Unfortunately where pretty much all aftermarket intake systems fall short is the turbulence control that is built into the stock intake. This is also where most of the research comes into play with OEM intakes.

Once there is turbulence inside the intake it prevents your sensors from working properly and could actually cause the engine to run rich or lean, shortening its life span. By how much? I can't say. This information is ESPECIALLY true on turbocharged engines where the A/F mixture is even more crucial, but it's also very important on our cars as well.

There are companies out there that make honeycomb filters for aftermarket intakes that will decrease the turbulence in the intake but they scare me because they tend to be plastic. If a piece of this gets sucked into the engine there could be some pretty severe damage.

Here is a pretty good read on intakes as a whole, just ignore all the subaru references:

http://www.mysubie.com/faq?id=16

More good stuff:

http://www.cobbtuning.com/Technical-...es-s/70677.htm

Take it for what you will but aftermarket intakes also don't filter nearly as good as a paper filter. Lemme Explain. The technology used by aftermarket intakes is generally derived from race cars and cars that get their engines rebuilt very frequently. This creates more airflow, more power, and less filtration. One of the biggest selling points of intakes is "Cold air", and "High Flow". But realistically. To achieve more air there has to be compensation somewhere, which is with the filter.

K&N Will flat out TELL you that their filters are not as good as OEM paper filters. I can't find it now but here:

http://www.knfilters.ca/77series.aspx

My favorite line:

The oversize air filter also captures more dirt increasing the service life before each cleaning is required (up to 100,000 miles).

This is referring to other K&N filters, NOT an OEM paper filter. But.. If you are trapping more dirt, doesn't that mean the filter will need to be cleaned more frequently... or am I just a dumbass?

Don't believe what is written on websites from the manufacturers. A lot of their information is misleading. I found this while searching, it seems informative:

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

There are even more downfalls to K&N filters however. If you run cold air there is always the risk of sucking up water and hydro locking your engine. Then you have to keep in mind that aluminum pipes tend to get soaked with heat relatively fast which will negate any gains you might see from an intake. This is especially true over long drives.

So.. Keep this in mind when looking for an intake. There is only 2 REAL reasons to buy them.

1. Looks
2. Sound
Well, first off, I missed the intake part of this thread. I thought OP meant a filter...

But, I have to agree with you on the aftermarket intake systems. There are too many unknowns with buying one for such little gains (assuming you don't decrease in horsepower by installing an aftermarket intake...). They cost too much for such little gain. I love to see the outrageous claims on the websites. You'll gain xxx HP. Yeah, sure will. I'll keep my car stock.

To the filter argument. I've been reading about K&N for years. I have been using a K&N for years. I did some of my own testing with used oil analysis (UOA) and have found that the K&N did just fine. That was on a brand new Dodge Ram that I owned. I have one in my Civic and am doing UOA's every oil change. If something on the UOA indicates that the K&N isn't performing well, I will go back to OEM.
Old 01-02-2014
Whachya lookin at?

Someone says air intake system I think they are replacing the intake not just filter. It's up to you but a paper filter will do the exact same job the K&N will and even better for a fraction of the price. I don't recommend them to anyone.
Old 01-02-2014
Registered!!

Someone says air intake system I think they are replacing the intake not just filter. It's up to you but a paper filter will do the exact same job the K&N will and even better for a fraction of the price. I don't recommend them to anyone.
$37 for a K&N. $12 for a decent paper. ($20 for an OEM Honda...). $37/$12=3.08. 3.08x15,000 miles=46,250 miles in which I will break even. I hope to have this car a lot longer than that.

If someone is going to sell the car, then just use paper. I agree with that.
Old 01-02-2014
Whachya lookin at?

Alright. We disagree on the filtration however. I think a paper filter performs much better than a K&N. You think they are at par. There is no way we can prove it either way so let's just agree to disagree Also with the K&N you need a recharge kit. It's messy, and you lose your car for a period of time to let it dry. I just don't personally like any of it.
Old 01-02-2014
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i never recommend K&N oiled filters but there hybrid filter is a re-branded AEM dryflow. i always recommend AEM plus there dryflow cone filters have a built in velocity stack to reduce turbulence.
Old 01-03-2014
Registered!!

NightHawk0217 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all of the feedback and information.
Old 01-03-2014
Whachya lookin at?

Originally Posted by lowlife9
i never recommend K&N oiled filters but there hybrid filter is a re-branded AEM dryflow. i always recommend AEM plus there dryflow cone filters have a built in velocity stack to reduce turbulence.
Thank you this is well said. I wasn't aware of the velocity stack but I do wonder if it is sufficient.