7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New Member, looking for advice!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jakeduece is an unknown quantity at this point
New Member, looking for advice!

Hi everyone. I have been lurking around here for a few days, so I figured I would join in on all the fun! lol. Anyways, I was hoping to get a little advice.

I'm currently an owner of a 2000 Chevrolet blazer, which has served me well for two years, but lets face it.. It's a gas hog. I get 18mpg on a good day cruising at 70.

I have toying around with the idea of selling the blazer and looking for a 7th gen civic (my favorite gen), especially since I am driving more now. I'm looking at a budget of around 3k which isn't a whole lot, but should be enough if I find the right deal. From what I gather, the main things to watch out/look for are transmission issues and head gaskets, as well as making sure the timing belt has been changed accordingly. Is there anything else I should be looking for?

On another note, how are these cars road trips? I travel from south Michigan to northern Michigan at least once a month (200 miles each way). The last smaller car I had was a 96 mustang, and that made for a painful trip. With the civic being more of a daily driver than a sports car, I would assume it rides more comfortably on longer excursions?

Last question, I promise! What kind of mileage would be considered too high to be dependable? I realize that highway miles are easier on a car than city miles, but is there a general guideline on these cars?

Thanks in advance to those who respond!
Old 11-18-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Member, looking for advice!

Welcome to the fo!

I don't have your answers, but the 04-05 has fewer trans issues than 01-02.
A prepurchase inspection done by someone intimately familiar with the cars can be invaluable....

...But none of us can actually predict the future
Old 11-18-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

welcome and yeah, hard to tell. some well maintained cars could go a lot of miles, but they will not likely to sell them for that reason, mostly...
maybe look around and when you find a good one, come back here and post the car to see what others think?

you listed the major ones, yes. these are the ones to look for, although ezone wisely informed that the newer ones have less issues.
Old 11-18-2013
Registered!!

Good to know about the 04-05 models, but seeing as how I am on a somewhat smaller budget, I'll probably be getting into an early 7th gen (01-03). Of course if the right deal comes along I'll definitely keep that in mind. Hearing all the horror stories about the trannies in the earlier models makes me nervous (especially after owning a dodge.. The HORROR!!) I would like an auto just because I won't be the only one driving it, but I'm starting to think that in my price range, maybe a manual transmission is the way to go (which is no big deal for me).

If I find any deals that perk my interest, I'll be sure to post them here for your guys' opinions! Thanks again.
Old 11-18-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jakeduece
(especially after owning a dodge.. The HORROR!!)
You won't have any idea how to act with a GOOD car.

Honda doesn't make their ball joints and tie rod ends out of......Brie cheese.

I work next door to a Chrysler product dealer, got some friends over there.
.....Some of their cars......umm....uh....yeah......Amazing. Just amazing.
Old 11-18-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I would look for a manual just to be safe. I can't remember what it's like to ride in my car on stock suspension but its a base model car so it's not going to ride like an Acura. I have an 01 manual and have only experienced the headliner falling issue, and a failed clutch slave cylinder, I'm at 176k. I was low on coolant recently and I am sure it is a slow head gasket leak
Old 11-18-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
I would look for a manual just to be safe. I can't remember what it's like to ride in my car on stock suspension but its a base model car so it's not going to ride like an Acura. I have an 01 manual and have only experienced the headliner falling issue, and a failed clutch slave cylinder, I'm at 176k. I was low on coolant recently and I am sure it is a slow head gasket leak

Sounds like a manual is mainly the way to go then. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled.

Yeah I can't wait to get myself into a well built car, compared to what I have had in the past as well as now. Just having the great mpg, as well as the freedom to go anywhere on a moments notice without the nagging thought of 'There's no way I'll make it there AND back!'. The last time I felt I could totally depend on a car was with my 2003 crown vic (which I loved but had to sell). That was 4-5 years ago lol. And now on top of frequent repairs, I am putting 45 bucks worth of gas in every 200 miles. Talk about adding insult to injury

thanks guys for the helpful info
Old 11-18-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

try to get an EX, the VTEC, even the poor man version (without going to the US Si trim version) do make a difference, even with the shorter gearing. It will allow you to get the stage 1 crower cam if you wish so in the future.
Old 11-18-2013
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Haha, you were that guy.

Crown Vic's are tough.
Old 11-18-2013

^^Land barge, with 25 MPG hwy all day long!
Old 11-18-2013
Registered!!

Haha, you were that guy.

Crown Vic's are tough.
Yeah I was that guy lol. Great cars (mechanically) but ultimately I sold it just because I hated scaring the pants off everyone I passed. It was a boat, but handled very well surprisingly!

I'm not sure if I would be modding the motor in any way, at least in the foreseeable future. I prefer to keep my cars stock and clean. Except for maybe some tasteful rims and a stereo for those long commutes
Old 11-18-2013
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

AFAIK, the main tranny issues were with 01's and some 02's because of the o-ring used on the torque converter that failed and broke up and clogged the filter. There's a bulletin out that gives the VIN's that were affected. After that, IMHO, I think it was mostly because of neglect that they failed. Honda tried to solve this in 04-05's with a new style tranny filter that appears to be twice the capacity of the old one. I have a late model 02 EX and have no tranny issues at all. I've only ever used the Honda fluid and changed at 30k to begin with and then every two years after that. I now change it once a year just to be safe. Just one drain and fill.

Last edited by Matt_75; 11-18-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-18-2013
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

7th gens really spurred up a lot of trouble mechanical wise in the Honda realm.
Reliability wise, I would look into the 6th gens, probably get better fuel economy on those too. They're great beater cars.

As for the 7th gen, the pre-refresh models (01-03) really mainly had problems with it's auto transmission. The head gasket issue also plagued auto and manual alike.
I mean, they're good DD cars, but don't expect much.

Comfortability wise...
I drove up and down the west coast a couple times and my only complaint was that I couldn't feel my **** afterwards (450 mile one way with no gas breaks).

If you're serious on getting a 7th gen, check out the thread "You know you drive a 7th gen when...."
That'll give you a good idea of what you're getting into :P

Haha, you were that guy.

At least he wasn't....this guy...
Trolling tuners and cops alike.
Old 11-18-2013
Prelude Owner

^ nice. Never seen a crown vic like that. They usually have large 22" inch chrome wheels and are raised.
Old 11-19-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i always wanted a used police interceptor to beat on in the winter months.
Old 11-19-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
I drove up and down the west coast a couple times and my only complaint was that I couldn't feel my **** afterwards (450 mile one way with no gas breaks).
that, Kenny, is a whole different cause for the **** not feeling anything anymore
Old 11-19-2013
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
that, Kenny, is a whole different cause for the **** not feeling anything anymore
Those reasons are private
Old 11-19-2013

^^^When did you get a job where I work?
Old 11-20-2013
Kenny the Ricer

Originally Posted by ezone
What? o.o
Old 11-20-2013

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
Those reasons are private
What? o.o
Follow along! Your butt can't feel anything anymore, so I automatically figured you got a job where I work.

Assume the position: Bend over and take it in the.......paycheck
Old 11-20-2013
Registered!!

Well guys I have been looking around on craigslist just to see what's out there, and it seems like Civics hold an astounding amount of their value over time. It looks like if I want to end up in a civic, I'm going to end up in a 6th gen. Not that I hate them, I'm just not very fond of the older 'look'. I hear the dependability is stellar though.

I have noticed though, that Accords seem to be a little more reasonable in pricing. From the look of it, I could theoretically end up in a 99-02 accord with the I-4 with decently low miles (under 150k) for less than $3200. Decisions, decisions..
Old 11-20-2013
Kenny the Ricer

Assume the position: Bend over and take it in the.......paycheck
Ah, probably.

Well guys I have been looking around on craigslist just to see what's out there, and it seems like Civics hold an astounding amount of their value over time. It looks like if I want to end up in a civic, I'm going to end up in a 6th gen. Not that I hate them, I'm just not very fond of the older 'look'. I hear the dependability is stellar though.

I have noticed though, that Accords seem to be a little more reasonable in pricing. From the look of it, I could theoretically end up in a 99-02 accord with the I-4 with decently low miles (under 150k) for less than $3200. Decisions, decisions..
Like I said earlier, 6th gens would be my choice of purchase.
Reliability is great, gas mileage is also great.
It's really one of the last "good" civics that honda has pushed out, IMO.
I would probably go with the EJ6, or EJ8 civics.
Is it luxurious? No. Is it a sports car? No.
It is, however, a grocery getting gas sipper.
Parts are always a dime a dozen; which is another plus.
Old 11-20-2013
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

It looks like if I want to end up in a civic, I'm going to end up in a 6th gen. Not that I hate them, I'm just not very fond of the older 'look'. I hear the dependability is stellar though.
You don't like the look? Really? Meh, I wouldn't buy a Civic past 2000 personally. Even though they have way higher safety standards. Mine is original everything so far...except for upper control arms and it's almost 15 years old now.

I've been told Accords are more durable than Civics but I've never owned one.
Old 11-21-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Stock 99
You don't like the look? Really? Meh, I wouldn't buy a Civic past 2000 personally. Even though they have way higher safety standards. Mine is original everything so far...except for upper control arms and it's almost 15 years old now.

I've been told Accords are more durable than Civics but I've never owned one.
I don't hate the way they look, I just prefer the newer look of the 7th gen. I will say that your 6th gen looks fantastic, like it just rolled off the assembly line. If I could find one that clean, with under 140k miles in my price range, I would jump on it in a heartbeat!

I think part of the reason that I never really grew fond the of the 6th gens is that the majority that I see here are riced out. I'm young (20) but I definitely prefer a cleaner 'stock' look that hasn't really been tampered with. One that could be used as a daily driver without bottoming out on every imperfection in the road lol!

Last edited by jakeduece; 11-21-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-21-2013
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Too bad you don't live close to me. I'd sell it for $3200 in a heartbeat right now. 204000 kms on it right now. I'm 2nd owner...all regular maintenance is up to date. Averages 35-40 mpg regularly.

Completely stock...

Old 11-22-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

well, concerning the accord, the beauty is that it did not loose the front double wishbone in 2000. Drove the company car 02 accord a few times - they do oversteer when in tight corners, so it was wonderful plus the V6
Old 11-22-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Stock 99
Too bad you don't live close to me. I'd sell it for $3200 in a heartbeat right now. 204000 kms on it right now. I'm 2nd owner...all regular maintenance is up to date. Averages 35-40 mpg regularly.
Very good deal indeed. Looks like it has been very well taken care of.

I've heard somewhat negative things about the civic going to the McPherson Struts. I have never driven a double wishbone civic, maybe I should just to see which I prefer. I have driven a 99 accord and liked the ride quite a bit, but then again it is a bigger car than a civic.

Thanks for all of the information everyone, I'm learning a lot about these cars