7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

cylinder #3 intake valve

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
frontier2005 is an unknown quantity at this point
cylinder #3 intake valve

hi guys, quick question, im doing a headgasket on my 2005 honda civic 1.7, i got the head removed and i notice that cylinder #3 intake valve is open(just one) is this normal?

i got all the timing mark lined up before removing the timing belt.

really appreciated your answer thanks in advance

ed
Old 10-08-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: cylinder #3 intake valve

Originally Posted by frontier2005
#3 intake valve is open(just one) is this normal?
Yes.

Be sure to perform a valve lash inspection and adjustment before the valve cover goes back on.
Old 10-09-2013
Registered!!

Scout1 will become famous soon enoughScout1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ezone
Yes.

Be sure to perform a valve lash inspection and adjustment before the valve cover goes back on.
Sorry to butt in but still trying to learn as much as I can for my teardown next week. When you get the engine on TDC and align all the marks and then pull the head. I want to check the valve sealing by putting fluid on the closed vales. I will obviously need to turn it to close any open valves to test them. When I go to reinstall the head can I just realign the marks or is there an issue of maybe getting it 180 out? Thanks.

Ed
Old 10-09-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

When I go to reinstall the head can I just realign the marks or is there an issue of maybe getting it 180 out? Thanks.
Line up the marks again before you set the head back on, "UP" marking of the gear somewhere near the top (same as when you removed it).

You can't get it "in time" and be 180* out..
Old 10-10-2013
Registered!!

thanks for the reply, what is did is just tear it apart and put the new headgasket . my cylinder was in good shape. i did really get oeverheated all the way to H. i just notice that my temp gauge goes up. that when i notice there a problem. i search every where about the 7th gen and all in came to headgasket problem. coolant is going to resevoir. i took it apart monday and just finished it today, so far so good. This is actually my first time to take honda engine apart. i've done infiniti short block. this engine is so easy. just make sure you line up all the mark top and bottom.

Addn't to my question.

i got my scanner shook up. what is the set IGNITION TIMING?
Old 10-10-2013

i did really get oeverheated all the way to H.
Did you have the head checked for flatness/warpage? It doesn't seem to take much of an overheat to warp a head.

i got my scanner shook up. what is the set IGNITION TIMING?
On a 1.7 all you can do is make sure the cam/crank are in time. There is no ignition adjustment.
Old 10-10-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Did you have the head checked for flatness/warpage? It doesn't seem to take much of an overheat to warp a head.

yes i did, check for flatness.

On a 1.7 all you can do is make sure the cam/crank are in time. There is no ignition adjustment.
okay, that's good to know thanks

so far so good. i drove it for ten miles and did not get any coolant over flowing from the resevoir.