7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Honda A02 OEM filter and oil light issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
worldwar is an unknown quantity at this point
Honda A02 OEM filter and oil light issue

Hi everyone,

I recently got my oil changed. The shop I went insisted to use Honda OEM filter although I had a new Pureone filter with me. Anyway, they installed Honda OEM filter which I had no idea difference between A01 and A02 filters. I did a little research on that and I figured that they installed A02 filter. (I had a chance to take a look the filter which by the way Made in USA)

Here is the issue I am having. Since I have been using this filter, I have my oil light flickers during cold start-ups. There is no noise or anything like that. The interesting thing is that oil light goes off and comes back for a second then goes away. Check out the video.

Is this something that I should worry about?

Any comment?

Thanks,
Old 09-16-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Honda A02 OEM filter and oil light issue

I think it is average, I have noticed it in the past and I don't think anything of it as long as it stays off for the duration of your driving. I have seen it on many cars, not just Hondas.
I think you see the light come back on during the time it takes for the oil pump to refill the oil filter after it drained overnight.
If you want to attempt to do something about it, first swap for a new filter. Next step might be to connect a mechanical pressure gauge to see what the pressure is really doing when the light comes on (might prove if the pressure switch is faulty or not).

The only difference I saw between the two filter numbers is the manufacturer. One is made by Filtech (A01), the other is made by Honeywell (A02). Other than that, they are identical and interchangeable.
Old 09-16-2013
Registered!!

eastsider is an unknown quantity at this point

There was a defective batch of A02 filters reported late last year, but the suspect stock should have been purged out of inventory many months ago. (A competent tech would have caught the problem anyway, even if a bad filter slipped through the cracks.)

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...36&postcount=1
Old 09-17-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

A competent tech would have caught the problem anyway,
Observant. I'm quite competent, but sometimes I'm not real observant.
Someone has to be awake and looking to catch it. Some of us do this job in our sleep LOL.

I remember someone in the shop caught one filter that had the seal installed upside down.
I can't remember now if it was part of that batch though.
Old 09-17-2013
Registered!!

Fliptard will become famous soon enoughFliptard will become famous soon enough

check your oil level, maybe they didn't add enough, and was the correct weight oil used? as per the owners manual?
Old 09-25-2013
Registered!!

2001CivicDx is an unknown quantity at this point

The engine should be fine if the light stays off when you drive it.

But just to be safe, which is always a good thing to do after an oil change:

Immediately check oil level after minimum 10 minutes of driving for a few times in different days. Top off if the level is low, and observe if there is any noticeable leakage. If so, get under the car and see where it's leaking, either from the oil filter or from the 17mm screw.

Leaks might be caused by forgetting to lubricate the o-ring on the filter, or simply filter or screw not tightened enough.

Also, make sure your fuel cap is screwed in correctly. This may cause engine light to come on if not in perfect.