7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Request: Good how-to on testing oxygen/airflow sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tide55 is an unknown quantity at this point
Request: Good how-to on testing oxygen/airflow sensor

I have a 2004 Honda Civic EX. I noticed recently the engine light would come on and then go off later on, but now it's staying on. The problem is the oxygen sensor (or airflow AF sensor?) in bank 1 sensor 1, which from what I understand by reading this site is the sensor before the catalytic converter.

The codes I receive are:
P0135: O2 Sensor Heater Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0134: O2 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

Would freeze frame data help here? Could I monitor the O2 sensor live and would that offer any good way to diagnose?

What I really need I think is a good how-to step-by-step on testing the sensor. Also any tools I might need.

And could someone explain to me why our cars apparently have a "wideband" sensor that is much more expensive to replace? I found this $35 before-cat sensor that supposedly works on 1986-2012 Civics... but that can't be right can it?

Thanks
Old 09-10-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Request: Good how-to on testing oxygen/airflow sensor

really there only good for 60,000 miles then they start to get dirty and clogged reducing MPG even if you don't get a code. whatever you do do not purchase an off brand or universal sensor only purchase oem replacement DENSO or NTK you can usually find them cheaper at advanced auto search around. i repeat only buy DENSO or NTK.
Old 09-10-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tide55
I found this $35 before-cat sensor that supposedly works on 1986-2012 Civics... but that can't be right can it?
Wow. I can't even......Wow. No. Don't....Just... NO.

Originally Posted by lowlife9
i repeat only buy DENSO or NTK.
Whichever brand was originally installed from the factory is best. Look on the original sensor, it should be stamped somewhere on it.
Old 09-10-2013
Registered!!

cja3455 is an unknown quantity at this point

The sensor signal can be read via the obd2 port but since you are getting a code of no sensor activity then you won't be able to read anything. The wideband AF sensors are only in the 04-05 models and they perform better then the regular ones. I used a Bosch sensor when I replaced mine and immediately felt significant improvement in throttle response, more then the improvements of air intake and exhaust combined. These are some important devices when u replace the sensor make sure you don't touch the head. It's relatively easy to replace all you need is a sensor socket and it's easier to get at it from under the car
Old 09-11-2013
Registered!!

Thanks guys. Are you aware of a good how to on testing the existing sensor?

Originally Posted by lowlife9
i repeat only buy DENSO or NTK.
Originally Posted by cja3455
I used a Bosch sensor when I replaced mine and immediately felt significant improvement in throttle response
Would you mind sharing the model numbers of the ones you guys are using and how much you paid?
Old 09-11-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tide55
Are you aware of a good how to on testing the existing sensor?
I let the computer be the judge.
Old 09-11-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i would never use a bosch sensor in a honda. the autozone guy ordered the wrong sensor and tried to give me a more expensive bosch sensor at no extra cost. i politely declined his offer and decided to wait for the oem denso. he told me he would have done the same. the part number was 234-9005 denso. i believe i got it on sale for $90-$100 dollars at the time.

Last edited by lowlife9; 09-11-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old 12-19-2013
Registered!!

Update on this. The heating element in the old sensor was bad. I got some help from ezone in a different thread here. I ended up buying an ACDelco part from amazon. I ended up paying $100 after tax. Here is the part:
ACDelco 213-2850 Professional Heated Oxygen Sensor, Position 1 ACDelco 213-2850 Professional Heated Oxygen Sensor, Position 1

For about $20-30 more
the Motor King O2 sensor the Motor King O2 sensor
has a lot of positive reviews since apparently it's Honda OEM.

The Denso 234-9005 is the wrong part for a 2004 Civic EX. Even though auto parts suppliers like Amazon say it fits the EX model it does not. I checked Denso's website after reading some wrong part reviews on the internet. The right Denso part number for the Civic 2004 EX is 234-9017. It was too expensive for me at the time although I checked just now and
Amazon has it on sale for about $145 Amazon has it on sale for about $145

Thanks to everyone for their help