Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

PLEASE HELP! 7th gen. tranny interchangability?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
colechapman7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy PLEASE HELP! 7th gen. tranny interchangability?

I bought my first Civic a couple weeks back. It is an 02 Ex coupe automatic. engine vin: D17A2 2538275 transmission vin:BMXA-6240279 2PMX95. It has 195xxx miles on it but didn't think much of it because the couple I bought it from said the motor had been swapped and the transmission rebuilt under 10xxx miles ago back in March of this year (yes they had recipts to prove and a paper for the warranty still on transmission). Since buying it it has started to act up. The motor seems great but transmission not so much. At first it started hesitating on take off in first gear like it wasn't grabbing the gear right then it would catch after a second and be fine. A couple days later I noticed it started slipping through the rest of the gears slightly. But today I woke up went to back out of my driveway but the tranny wasn't grabbing. It would roll back when u let off the brake but as soon as I hit the gas to go faster and make it up the little hill it wouldn't move at all and would just rev up (as if it were in neutral). My brother helped me push it out and I drove it to work. I got to work and it would engage into reverse perfectly fine now.

I called the garage (small town back woods garage) the couple had the transmission rebuilt at a couple days ago to tell him what is going on but he said the warranty is void since it changed owners. After telling him it didn't say that any where on the warranty agreement and questioning his work and confidence in his work he finally agreed to "just take a look at it for me". Since then I have been doing research incase i have to get a new tranny and discovered these transmissions are garbage but seen where the 03, 04, and 05 are better. I can't find anything that tells me if I can put a 03-05 tranny into my 02 though.

Does anyone know if they are interchangeable? And if so will it bolt right up and everything be correct for it with out having to make changes ? And if anyone wants to give me advice on what they think the problem with it is or what I should do to fix it if that garage won't that would be amazing. And some helpful links and places to looks for Honda Transmissions or just any advice would be great.

Thank you so much in advanced and sorry this is super long I just wanted to get all the info in at first so you all didn't have to fish for facts like I have seen in so many other posts.
Old 09-10-2013
Registered!!

colechapman7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: PLEASE HELP! 7th gen. tranny interchangability?

Bump
Old 09-10-2013
Registered!!

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts
chozobody is an unknown quantity at this point

Any automatic 01-05 tranny will bolt up to any other 01-05 Civic. I would recommend finding one at a junk yard, and having that put in, preferably from an 04-05.
Old 09-13-2013
Registered!!

soulja a is an unknown quantity at this point

hey man i was wondering the same thing cause my moms trans went so she bought a rebuild one and it messed up 3 times so got it fixed the 1st 2 times. i had found a 5 speed auto from the civic coupe for $350 idk if it would work
Old 09-17-2013
Registered!!

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts
chozobody is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by soulja a
hey man i was wondering the same thing cause my moms trans went so she bought a rebuild one and it messed up 3 times so got it fixed the 1st 2 times. i had found a 5 speed auto from the civic coupe for $350 idk if it would work
Honda never made a 5 Speed auto tranny for the 7th gen civic coupes...or at all? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Only pay for a used transmission if you know the condition of the car it came out of, and you are able to give it a thorough looking over.