7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

To bleed or not to bleed

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kenzaoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Question To bleed or not to bleed

So what is the general consensus about bleeding the brakes after a break pad change? I've read a lot of conflicting information on the intratubes ...

I recently replaced front rotors and break pads and my old man insists I need to do a break bleed. I did push in the caliper cylinder with a C-clamp about 2mm in order to fit it the new pads but I haven't opened any of the lines. So I don't see the point of the break bleed. There should be no air bubbles.

Also my mechanic did replace the brake fluid (it was pretty old and dirty) about 50 miles before I changed the break pads.

Break pedal feels the same as before.
Old 08-02-2013
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: To bleed or not to bleed

Originally Posted by kenzaoe
So what is the general consensus about bleeding the brakes after a break pad change? I've read a lot of conflicting information on the intratubes ...

I recently replaced front rotors and break pads and my old man insists I need to do a break bleed. I did push in the caliper cylinder with a C-clamp about 2mm in order to fit it the new pads but I haven't opened any of the lines. So I don't see the point of the break bleed. There should be no air bubbles.

Also my mechanic did replace the brake fluid (it was pretty old and dirty) about 50 miles before I changed the break pads.

Break pedal feels the same as before.
If the fluid was just changed and there is no air in the lines, you shouldn't have to bleed them. If you pop the hood and your master cylinder is reading ABOVE the max fill line, you should definitely bleed the lines a bit until the level is normal again. After all, having thicker pads means less fluid is required to move them.
Old 08-02-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Poopies
If the fluid was just changed and there is no air in the lines
How does one know there is air in the lines?
Is it possible to introduce air just from removing the caliper and/or pushing the cylinder?
Old 08-02-2013
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Is it possible to introduce air just from removing the caliper and/or pushing the cylinder?
Well, there are two ways to tell.
1.) Your brake performance has diminished and you can't stop as quickly, or at all in extreme cases.
2.) When you bleed your brake line, you notice air bubbles in the clear bleeding tube.

If you didn't disconnect the brake line itself and didn't notice any stray puddles of fluid, you're probably fine. You don't normally have to worry about it unless you accidentally disconnect the line itself. If you want to be 100% sure, go bleed both front lines a bit to make sure there are no bubbles. Just get at least enough fluid in the tube/reservoir so that you can be confident that the system is sealed. If there is air it will be near the bleeder valve anyway. I did that when i changed mine and it's one thing I don't have to think about for a while!

The whole process doesn't take long (especially if you have another person to push the brake) and fluid is dirt cheap if you decide not to reuse it.
Old 08-02-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Pedal would be unusually spongy or mushy.
No.
Old 08-03-2013
Registered!!

thanks all for your input