7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

gauge back light dimming while driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tweav88 is an unknown quantity at this point
gauge back light dimming while driving

Hello,

So about after an hour of research with no specific answer I've decided to start a thread about it.

So here's my issue, when i have my lights on obviously the gauge back lights come on to illuminate the gauges. While I am driving the light for the gauges will flicker, and when it is not completely dark outside it will get so dim that i cannot read the k/m ph reading on the speedometer(im in the military and have a US spec civic in Germany, and they use k/m ph here.) From being here for over a year now I know what they convert to in MPH but it just annoys me that the lights dim as much as they do and flicker as often as they do.

Has anyone had this problem and found a fix? or is it just something these cars do and i should just suck it up?

I did read on a post that someone had his headlights flicker and ended up needing a new alternator due to overcharging, but i dont notice my headlights flicker and i read on another post that there is a thing in your fuse box under the hood that detects the pull of current and will switch the alternator back and forth from a 12.4v output to a 14v output(i forget what its called) would this change in output make the lights dim as much as they do?

Thanks for any help,
Tweav
Old 07-18-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: gauge back light dimming while driving

It is, indeed because while driving, your car's electrical system voltage fluctuates between 12-14 volts, which is normal because of that lovely electric load detector.