7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

What causes headgaskets to go so easy on 01-05 civics?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
djstorm100 is an unknown quantity at this point
What causes headgaskets to go so easy on 01-05 civics?

As the title states what are the causes (besides overheating or neglect)? I curious if it was lack of flatness on the block or head or the gasket it self. The reason I ask is mine popped and while I could do it I simply don't have the time. Luckly I have friends that work at old honda I use to work at so I'll have them do it.

If replace is the "problem" fixed or will it go out just as quick as this one did (104k)? I've seen alot of hondas with over 200k with original headgasket. Honestly don't want to have to put up with this again. Is it a problem with the motor it self or just the gasket material?
Old 07-08-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What causes headgaskets to go so easy on 01-05 civics?

Some do, some don't. It's just something they do, a known problem area. Deal with it. Fix it right.

IMHO, I think that using TTY head bolts with the MLS gasket would have been a more durable setup.....but I'm not one of those high-paid engineers so WTF do I know?

I looked at an 04 with 97k today, looked like it has the problem too. Reservoir was overflowing and the radiator was low.
Old 07-08-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

As far as I know mine is original. I'm second owner and first owner had dealer records. I'm sure maintance plays a role in it.

I'm at 170k miles.

It will go on my way to work tomorrow now that I said that!
Old 07-08-2013
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

What are precautions to take? Dont headgaskets eventually go on all cars no matter what?
Old 07-08-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie
Dont headgaskets eventually go on all cars no matter what?
.No.
Old 07-09-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Some do, some don't. It's just something they do, a known problem area. Deal with it. Fix it right.

IMHO, I think that using TTY head bolts with the MLS gasket would have been a more durable setup.....but I'm not one of those high-paid engineers so WTF do I know?

I looked at an 04 with 97k today, looked like it has the problem too. Reservoir was overflowing and the radiator was low.
Wonder if they make TTY Bolts for this gen civic. I thought they had them to start with but after reading and realizing they didn't I could see it beeing a issue. The stock gasket is MLS right?
Old 07-09-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's a combination of things... honestly.. But lack of maintenance or failure to recognize a small problem causes 90% of them to go. The other 10% could be the bolts, or the incredibly high engine revolutions on the highway for extended periods of time.
Old 07-09-2013

Originally Posted by djstorm100
Wonder if they make TTY Bolts for this gen civic. I thought they had them to start with but after reading and realizing they didn't I could see it beeing a issue. The stock gasket is MLS right?
Not that I'm aware of, and I have never bothered to check if TTY's from any other engine might work. Yes, the OE head gasket is MLS on this engine.

I got the OK to make the inspect/diag today on the 04, it's breached between the combustion chamber and water jacket on #2. Got the OK to do the job too. It's apart and waiting on gaskets to arrive right now.
Old 07-09-2013

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
I think it's a combination of things... honestly.. But lack of maintenance or failure to recognize a small problem causes 90% of them to go. The other 10% could be the bolts, or the incredibly high engine revolutions on the highway for extended periods of time.
Disagree.

What sort of maintenance do you think could be done to avoid this extremely common issue? Many of these crapped long before the first coolant service was due.
Old 07-09-2013
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Some type of failure usually leads to a blown head gasket. Every head gasket I've seen go on these usually has some other issue (Stuck thermostat, air in coolant system from work done, etc.) The list is endless but usually there is an underlying problem. Even when mine went my thermostat was leaking, I had air in my coolant system which caused overheating which caused my stupid head gasket to go
Old 07-09-2013
Whachya lookin at?

HOWEVER I should add you see a lot more of them then I do.. so.. I'm not going to disagree with you hahaha
Old 07-09-2013

95% (or more) that I see have the head gasket itself as the underlying cause. JMHO, YMMV.
Old 07-09-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Strange... there must be.. something
Old 07-09-2013
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

I'm no professional mechanic or engineer, but if I had to take a guess, I think that maybe there's a little better burn going on in these engines than in previous generations for EPA crap and also the sealing material on the head gasket around the fire ring can't handle the heat and over a period of time slowly wears away. Just my .02.
Old 07-09-2013
Registered!!

95% (or more) that I see have the head gasket itself as the underlying cause. JMHO, YMMV.
So you're saying the headgasket/sealing design of the motors are not good and headgaskets go on these just go for no apparently reason. I'll do WOT pulls but its when getting on the highway other than that I baby it and do all the maintenance.

Are they still popping even after being replaced? (if so, I'm going to get rid of it)
Old 07-09-2013
Registered!!

If this was indeed true mine wouldn't have failed. I'm on top of my maintenance. Take care of car and the car will take care of me.
Old 07-09-2013

Originally Posted by Matt_75
I'm no professional mechanic or engineer,
I'm a mechanic, and I have just enough engineering in my background to be dangerous and annoying.....But I think what everyone wants here is a failure analyst. I'm not one.
So you're saying the headgasket/sealing design of the motors are not good and headgaskets go on these just go for no apparently reason.
That's pretty much it. Design weakness IMHO.
Are they still popping even after being replaced? (if so, I'm going to get rid of it)
I don't think I have seen one fail a second time for without another primary cause.....but then you have to figure I work for a dealer. By the time a car is old enough to have the head gasket failed twice, it may no longer come to our shop. In fact, 7th gens are getting few and far between as it is already here.
Old 07-10-2013
Registered!!

I'm a mechanic, and I have just enough engineering in my background to be dangerous and annoying.....But I think what everyone wants here is a failure analyst. I'm not one. That's pretty much it. Design weakness IMHO. I don't think I have seen one fail a second time for without another primary cause.....but then you have to figure I work for a dealer. By the time a car is old enough to have the head gasket failed twice, it may no longer come to our shop. In fact, 7th gens are getting few and far between as it is already here.
I see. I can replace it no problem but I more or less was hoping once it was replace it was good to go like a "normal" honda. I'm about to sell my mustang (640hp) and pocket the gas and drive the civic around BUT if it is going to go again (I've seen some stock ones go at 50 or at 150k) then I was going to get rid of it and get a 11' or 12' accord or camry. I like the new 13's but I think the transmission are new for that gen (not all the bugs worked out of them yet).
Old 07-10-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Hmm.. these cars are interesting. They have high failure rates on two major things. Head gaskets, and automatic transmissions. To me that's a major problem and a fail for Honda.
Old 07-10-2013
Registered!!

Hmm.. these cars are interesting. They have high failure rates on two major things. Head gaskets, and automatic transmissions. To me that's a major problem and a fail for Honda.
Transmission was fixed in 04-05 (mainly 05)
Old 07-10-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Great the last model year the transmission was fixed. That makes it better lol.
Old 07-10-2013

new 13's but I think the transmission are new for that gen (not all the bugs worked out of them yet).
The 13 Accord 4 cylinder is the one that got the new trans (CVT, and I like the way they drive a lot better than the old style CVT they put in Civics).

The Accord V6 still has a normal automatic trans.
Old 07-10-2013
Registered!!

Great the last model year the transmission was fixed. That makes it better lol.
Hey it makes it better when yours is a 05 lol

The 13 Accord 4 cylinder is the one that got the new trans (CVT, and I like the way they drive a lot better than the old style CVT they put in Civics).

The Accord V6 still has a normal automatic trans.
Thanks for the input. I wonder the long term life of the new trans..since it is "new" will it have bugs.

Pulled the head took 2 hours and went a head and took the timing belt off. I've read some people don't do it. It's sad to say but this is my first time doing a headgasket when I've been turning wrenches for almost 10 years. On a civic atleast. I don't see any real signs the gasket is bad. However the exhaust valves on clyinder 3 were a lighter color than the rest (brownish/white) while the other ones had clear carbon burn. I think it is safe to say this was the trouble cylinder. I put wd40 in the clyinder wall (2 of them) to prevent rust until I can get parts tomorrow and seal the head.

Do you guys normal keep the intake manifold and exhaust manifold on the head because I did.
Old 07-11-2013

Thanks for the input. I wonder the long term life of the new trans..since it is "new" will it have bugs.
No issues that I have seen yet. Can't tell you about the rest of the country though.
I don't see any real signs the gasket is bad.
If the problem was small, it's almost impossible to see where the failure is, even when you know which cylinder was the problem. MLS gaskets just don't show like a composite gasket can.
Do you guys normal keep the intake manifold and exhaust manifold on the head because I did.
I remove it all because IMO that makes it lighter and less awkward, and I take the head all the way off and measure for warpage and have it machined if necessary.

Be careful when you set it back down, there are valves open and they bend very easily. I hope you didn't set it flat on a bench.
Old 07-11-2013
Registered!!

No issues that I have seen yet. Can't tell you about the rest of the country though. If the problem was small, it's almost impossible to see where the failure is, even when you know which cylinder was the problem. MLS gaskets just don't show like a composite gasket can. I remove it all because IMO that makes it lighter and less awkward, and I take the head all the way off and measure for warpage and have it machined if necessary.

Be careful when you set it back down, there are valves open and they bend very easily. I hope you didn't set it flat on a bench.
I took it off with both manifolds. and used both manifolds to help hold the weight when I let the oil drain in to plastic drain pan. I then put the valve cover back on and flip it over so the vavles were facing up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ps5eece6ee.jpg
Old 07-11-2013
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Transmission was fixed in 04-05 (mainly 05)
What makes you say mainly 05? Whats the difference between the 04 and 05s? Ive heard that 04 was when they were fixed.
Old 07-11-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie
What makes you say mainly 05? Whats the difference between the 04 and 05s? Ive heard that 04 was when they were fixed.
05 started coming out in late 3rd quarter of 04 and 04's started to come out in late 03. The change didn't take place until 04, thus most of the models that have the issues corrected are the 05's.
Old 07-12-2013
I am Epic

05 started coming out in late 3rd quarter of 04 and 04's started to come out in late 03. The change didn't take place until 04, thus most of the models that have the issues corrected are the 05's.
Are you serious? Im not happy! What exactly did they do when you say changes? Do you know when in 04 the change started?

And most importantly, how many months (rough time frame) would you say from when a car gets built in the factory to when it gets to the dealer?

My auto trans was delivered to the dealer in May of 2004. So if the 04 trans started in late 03, im guessing im safe to say that I have the 04 fixes?

Thats why im curious how long it takes from when a car is built to when it hits the dealer and if the trans put in is at the beginning or near end of the factory building process. Since may and 3rd quarter are relatively close in time, im wondering what the odds are that i got the fixes in mine.

I do know that the serial number on my trans wasnt listed on the Honda TSB where it listed all the serial numbers of the trans with the faulty clutch packs. Mine wasnt on it.

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 07-12-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-12-2013
Whachya lookin at?

^ Based on what he i saying you don't have the fixes. Cars that were delivered in September or October on in 2004 had the fixes. I'm not exactly sure what he is talking about though because I don't know anything about the automatic transmission. Not sure what the fix was. I do know however that the internal filter is the biggest cause of failure on these transmissions. The filter gets plugged up and because it can't get changed eventually causes the tranny to implode. This wasn't fixed in 05, but they may have found a workaround.
Old 07-17-2013
Registered!!

What about tqing down the head a little more? 10lbs+

Quick Reply: What causes headgaskets to go so easy on 01-05 civics?