7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New Latch. Trunk wont close

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aamirghanchi is an unknown quantity at this point
New Latch. Trunk wont close

Hi.

2003 Hybrid. The trunk lid wont close after mechanic replaced struts/shocks on all wheels. Checked all the rubber bumps and stoppers. Readjusted striker bar many different ways but didn't help. I put in new latch thinking it might be it, but didn't help. Last thing remaining is the trunk lid itself. I have heard of things like trunk lid not sitting well. The trunk lid on this one always showed gaps even before the shocks repair. What else should I be checking?

Will very much appreciate any leads.

Thanks.

AG.
Old 06-11-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Latch. Trunk wont close

The trunk lid wont close after mechanic replaced struts/shocks on all wheels.
Take it back to the mechanic?
The trunk lid on this one always showed gaps even before the shocks repair. What else should I be checking?
Is the latch open?

Grab a flashlight. Get inside the trunk and close the lid. See if the latch and striker all line up or not.

Is the cable pulled and keeping the latch in the released position?
Old 06-12-2013
Registered!!

Mechanic wants $$ to fix it. I want to fix it first before paying him.
The latch is not open. I have tested running screw driver through it and then releasing it using manual release.
Striker and lock line up, but the lid gets resistance when closing. A gap at the trunk lid bottom remains.

Is there any way the lid can be readjusted. I tried unbolting the lid from the hinge but the holes are round. There is no way they can be adjusted. on the other side of the hinge where it meets the body of the car, the bolts are of odd shape. Don't know how to unscrew them.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by ezone
Is the latch open?

Grab a flashlight. Get inside the trunk and close the lid. See if the latch and striker all line up or not.

Old 06-12-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Pics of what you are talking about?

See a bodyshop/bodyman?
Old 06-12-2013
Registered!!

First image of the bracket at which the hinge swivels. I can see only two bolts/nuts. The bracket is directly under the back window of the car, under the speakers. Can these be remove directly or do I need to remove the speaker deck/shelf from the inside of the car to access them:

Closeup of one of the bolts:

Is the latch open?

Pics of what you are talking about?

See a bodyshop/bodyman?
Old 06-12-2013

Yes, those bolts must be accessed from above the speaker shelf.

The nuts you can see from below are welded to the hinges, you will not turn them from inside the trunk.
I have never had to touch those. If the hinges got bent it goes to a bodyshop here, that's not my area. Hinges usually only bend when the wind whips the lid upward. Or in a crash.

Take a pic of the latch?
What has happened to the trunk, latch, striker etc. since the last time you know it worked?
Old 06-12-2013
Registered!!

The latch is brand new. Like I mentioned it all happened after all 4 shocks were replaced. Do you have instructions on how to remove the speaker deck so that I can access those bolts. May be there is some adjustments I can do by moving the brackets around and make the lid closed.

Take a pic of the latch?
What has happened to the trunk, latch, striker etc. since the last time you know it worked?
Old 06-12-2013

I know you said the lid isn't straight or something, but was it suddenly worse when you got it back like it got hit in the parking lot? (Insurance claim!)

Probably easier to try adjusting where the arms are attached to the trunk lid instead of taking the shelf apart. At least let it loose there and see if it will latch and sit straight that way.

You'd have to take both sections of the backseat out before you can reach the plastic panel covering the shelf.

Have you climbed inside the trunk with a flashlight so you can see if the striker and latch are aligned, and know where each needs to move so they can make contact? (This is what I would have done first!)
Old 06-12-2013
Registered!!

I know you said the lid isn't straight or something, but was it suddenly worse when you got it back like it got hit in the parking lot? (Insurance claim!)
The lid was always showing gaps around, but closed well. After shock replacement wont close at all.

You'd have to take both sections of the backseat out before you can reach the plastic panel covering the shelf.
How to take the backseats out?

Have you climbed inside the trunk with a flashlight so you can see if the striker and latch are aligned, and know where each needs to move so they can make contact? (This is what I would have done first!)
yes done that first thing. Latch and striker are not mis-aligned. Its just that the latch doesn't reach the striker all the way. The trunk lid wont go down all the way.
Old 06-12-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I know this might sound really really stupid.. But have you checked the track for a tool that he may have left in the trunk when working on the shocks? Press down on the rubber seal make sure there is nothing there. With stuff like this it tends to be something really silly causing the problem.

Check the lid too maybe something got stuck to it.. never know.
Old 06-12-2013

^^Good idea! Yeah this SHOULD be far simpler than what it is sounding like. (K.I.S.S.?)

Back seat, lower cushion, 2 catches on the front edge, yanks up to release.
One 10mm bolt along the rear edge near the seat belt buckles, deep in the crack.
Remove.
Then you will be able to see the bolts along the bottom that hold the upper section.
It may take 2 people to get the upper section to lift up off of its hooks, there are 3 across the top.
Old 06-13-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
I know this might sound really really stupid.. But have you checked the track for a tool that he may have left in the trunk when working on the shocks? Press down on the rubber seal make sure there is nothing there. With stuff like this it tends to be something really silly causing the problem.

Check the lid too maybe something got stuck to it.. never know.
Exactly what I thought the first post. Usually take it out and it works fine after that. If its been slammed over and over and over to try and shut it something may be bent. If this is the cause pictures before you take it out. If this is the cause the shop owes your car some body shop work or something..
Old 06-13-2013
Registered!!

Folks, I have already checked all the silly things, or I wont be posting on these forums. Thanks for the reminder anyway. I think I will have to access the bolts from under the speakers deck/shelf. My question to you is that, is the bracket adjustable if I loosen those bolts. Otherwise there is no point of me unscrewing it.
Old 06-13-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Take it back to the mechanic and demand he fix it. The problem was not there before you had him do work to it and now it is. Time to make a big fuss over at the shop and I'm sure he will do something for you.
Old 06-13-2013

My question to you is that, is the bracket adjustable if I loosen those bolts. Otherwise there is no point of me unscrewing it.
I can't answer that. As I said before, I have never touched those. We send that sort of stuff to a bodyshop.

Seems to me that you may not gain much by adjusting in that area if that isn't where the problem is, but good luck anyway.
Old 06-14-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

Adjustability of those bolts wouldn't matter at this point, if it is contacting at the front side and the latch isn't catching. Something is bent. Either the lid or the hinges....