7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How to remove the crank pulley bolt in less than 5 seconds

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
scooty is on a distinguished road
How to remove the crank pulley bolt in less than 5 seconds

I recently bought one of these to make removing lug nuts easier.

I just did a head gasket, and it zipped the crank pulley bolt out like it was nothing! No need for elaborate breaker bar, support and cheater bar setups or that crazy expensive pulley holder tool from Honda.

It's less than a $100 at Sears and I find my self using it a lot. just thought I'd share...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	spin_prod_745501312.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	85133  
Old 05-12-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to remove the crank pulley bolt in less than 5 seconds

Glad it worked for you. It probably won't work for most others though. Since when is a breaker bar elaborate lol (not trying to be smart)
Old 05-12-2013
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

if that drill loosened the crank pulley bolt, then it was not tight enough to begin with, and how are you going to torque the pulley bolt when you put it back on?
Old 05-13-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
Glad it worked for you. It probably won't work for most others though. Since when is a breaker bar elaborate lol (not trying to be smart)
A breaker bar by itself is not elaborate, but when you need a:

1) 24" extension to get the breaker bar to reach all the way to a socket on the crank pulley so you can clear the fender to turn the breaker

2) Support the extension where it attaches to the breaker by using a jack stand so things don't twist in the wrong plane and strip the socket off the pulley bolt

3) A tool to hold the crank pulley from turning, such as Honda's expensive tool, a chain wrench or a screw driver wedged some where

4) A pipe for additional leverage on the breaker

....things get elaborate and complicated.
Old 05-13-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mikey1
if that drill loosened the crank pulley bolt, then it was not tight enough to begin with, and how are you going to torque the pulley bolt when you put it back on?
It's not a drill.

It is an impact driver with 130 Ft Lbs of torque.

Torque to correctly install that bolt is a lot less then what's required to remove it. The engine rotates counter clockwise. That naturally tightens the bolt over time in addition to whatever the factory torques it to.
Old 05-13-2013
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Torque spec if I remember correctly is 15ft/lbs and then another half a turn. This won't work for most people, but hey if it does all the power to em. People have tried removing this bolt with 400ft/lb + air driven impact drivers with no success. Good post nonetheless, especially if it saves a bunch of people some trouble.
Old 05-13-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't the *actual* torque spec 181ft-lbs?
Old 05-13-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Maybe, never seen the actual torque spec. I just remember the half turn thang.
Old 05-13-2013
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
yes that is correct
Old 05-17-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
Torque spec if I remember correctly is 15ft/lbs and then another half a turn. This won't work for most people, but hey if it does all the power to em. People have tried removing this bolt with 400ft/lb + air driven impact drivers with no success. Good post nonetheless, especially if it saves a bunch of people some trouble.
Says 400 and actually is are two different things Must have been a junk impact, If that bolt was tighter than 400 ftlbs it would snap...
Old 05-17-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Yea, rusting and seizing over time, plus spinning in the direction to tighten it. I'm just going by what I heard. I used a breaker bar to break them free. I see what your saying about the bolt breaking though.
Old 05-18-2013
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

Yeah im honestly shocked that got it off, ive used a 300 ft/lb air impact that couldn't get it off lol
Old 05-21-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Not quite that much:
Name:  civiccrankpulley_zpsc54ad6b6.jpg
Views: 3813
Size:  58.2 KB
Old 05-21-2013
Whachya lookin at?

^ Yea, that's the proper way.
Old 05-21-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Wow you were lucky to get it off with that.

I had my older blue point air impact gun with around 100 pounds at the tank and it didn't work..