Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

compatible engine swaps

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hiphop4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point
compatible engine swaps

so the head gasket on my 02 4dr lx(automatic) keeps blowing and i wanna just swap out the engine...i want to put in one of the higher end engines and was hoping someone could tell me which ones would fit perfectly.
plz and thank you
Old 04-20-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: compatible engine swaps

Originally Posted by hiphop4x4
so the head gasket on my 02 4dr lx(automatic) keeps blowing
Why not fix it properly?
Old 04-20-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Higher end engines?

Search.
Old 04-21-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

You will spend more on a swap than the car is worth, IMO fix it right. If you keep popping it your mechanic isn't fixing it right.....
Old 04-21-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

quick and easy fix: fix what's causing blown head gaskets, replace head gasket

easiest engine swap: D17A1
This is what you got right now. just plop in a newer one

a little bit of work involved: D17A2 (01-05 Civic US ex/CAD Si)
Almost the same, just a slightly higher compression ratio and it has VTEC, so you gotta get a VTEC controller or use an EX's ECU, but you'd also need to fiddle with immobilizer crap or get it reprogrammed. Will also work with your current transmission.

a lotta bit of work and a good amount of money: K20a3/a2/a engine. (02-05 Civic Si, Acura RSX/-S/-R, respectively)
You're gonna need "custom" motor mounts (or buy the $500 hasport ones), ECU (or kpro) needed, plus the cost of the engine, transmission, sub frame, any fab needed for exhaust ducting, and anything I may be missing. This swap will prolly run you upwards of $5000 (yes, I just pulled that figure out of my ***, but it's also within ballpark range), depending on how cheaply you can find the parts.
http://www.xproductionz.com/k20swap/k20swap.html
This website will give you a good idea of the effort you're gonna need to put in (or the effort you're gonna need to pay for, if you don't DIY)
OPTIONAL: Swap in a K24-- (Acura TSX) or K20 block with K24 head for a bit more power and a bit more of a headache to install, since the K24 head is 4cm (I think) taller than the K20's.
Old 02-29-2020
Registered!!

aragon1301 is an unknown quantity at this point

hey guys.. i have almost the same problem, but mine is with the Vtec enginge, i want to know if i can put a none Vtec head to my Vtec block,
is this possible on my 2003 civic, i dont care about the Vtec, let me know thanks...
Old 02-29-2020
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by aragon1301
hey guys.. i have almost the same problem, but mine is with the Vtec enginge, i want to know if i can put a none Vtec head to my Vtec block,
is this possible on my 2003 civic, i dont care about the Vtec, let me know thanks...
We've already told you yes like 6 times now, please stop reviving long dead threads to ask the same question over and over
Old 02-29-2020
Registered!!

aragon1301 is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry i did not see that,..thanks guys