7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

02 Civic Ex P0131, P0132

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 02 Civic Ex P0131, P0132

Originally Posted by X02
Will do. I'll have my mechanic check the manifold and exhaust for any leaks as well.
I thought you meant you just did all that at the parts store a little while ago (farting noises, etc.).
Old 04-20-2013
X02
Gas Sipper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X02 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I guess I was meaning more towards the muffler. I found this website as well, reading their bio and information they were giving on cats. Their cats are 676, but on sale for 270 something. Have you heard of this company? and your thoughts?
http://www.discountconverter.com/dir...roductID=43836
Old 04-20-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by X02
Yes, I guess I was meaning more towards the muffler. I found this website as well, reading their bio and information they were giving on cats. Their cats are 676, but on sale for 270 something. Have you heard of this company? and your thoughts?
http://www.discountconverter.com/dir...roductID=43836

Is it on the CARB approved list?
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...xemptcat09.pdf

You get exactly what you pay for.
Originally Posted by ezone
First choice is always factory.
Second choice is California C.A.R.B. certified/approved.

Any other cat choice is not worth my time. You can go be mad at someone else if you want to get the cheapest cat possible.

I can't afford to install low quality parts.
Old 04-22-2013
X02
Gas Sipper

Ezone. I about to purchase the converter from majestic. I was wondering if you could help me out with some of the bolts I need to purchase. So far, I have the converter, one number 14 and 17 (Gaskets), three #5 and 28 (bolt and nut), and 2 #15 and 16 (spring and bolt)
Old 04-22-2013
X02
Gas Sipper

Also, I looked on BKhondaparts.com and they had these parts for a little cheaper, but they added an extra $150 for a core charge and mentioned that sites that carry these same parts will charge the same price. Is this true with majestic as well, that you know of?
Old 04-22-2013

Originally Posted by X02
Ezone. I about to purchase the converter from majestic. I was wondering if you could help me out with some of the bolts I need to purchase. So far, I have the converter, one number 14 and 17 (Gaskets), three #5 and 28 (bolt and nut), and 2 #15 and 16 (spring and bolt)
Here's my list from the other post
4, cat
14, gasket
16, spring (x2)
17, bolt (x2)
18, gasket
28. nuts (x3) (might come in bags of ten)

You decide if you want these:
6, shield lower
7, shield upper
27, bolts (x4) (for heat shields)

Bolts #5 come already welded into the end (flange) of the converter. You do not need to order those separately.
(They are within the line box surrounding the cat, labeled item #4. Means they will come as part of that item.)

Originally Posted by X02
Also, I looked on BKhondaparts.com
BK is in Chicago area. Are you close to them? It seems that more and more, MANY dealers will discount parts for online sale. Find someone close enough to you to drive to and pick up? Just a thought.

and they had these parts for a little cheaper, but they added an extra $150 for a core charge and mentioned that sites that carry these same parts will charge the same price. Is this true with majestic as well, that you know of?
I do not know. You really need to get on the phone and talk to a human at that business and get it all sorted out and understood before you place any order, so there are no surprises later.

Ask about shipping charges from both places too, that adds to any price.

I DO know we have a core charge on cats, this comes from Honda and is legit.
The core charge is used to ensure the return of the old part for recycling.
(Consider what the shipping charges will be to do that. Add to your prices.)

However, the amount a dealer is charged might not reflect what a customer is charged. (Dealers are all charged identical fees for a given part number, but I don't know if every dealer charges their customer the same amount or if there is some markup. Dealers are free so set their own pricing structure as they see fit. MSRP is only a suggestion.)

Normal procedure in any other parts store is to refund the core charge when the old part is returned, in good rebuildable condition (if applicable).

Ex: If you got a new starter at a parts store, and then tried to return a bad starter that was broke in half, that can't be rebuilt and you forfeit the core charge. Get it?

Although I think you could return a hollow shell and still get your money back from a cat core charge.

C&P-- first few lines from a Parts info bulletin (revised 2/15/12):
Recycling catalytic converter cores enables increased reuse of precious metals in the manufacture of new catalytic converters, thereby benefiting the environment and our customers by reducing mining for new metals and lowering production costs.

All Honda catalytic converters now have a core deposit charge. There are different core charges depending on the catalytic converter part number; see the table on pages 8-13. Core charges will change over time to reflect market conditions.

I think I covered it all......
HTH
Old 04-22-2013

Double check the parts list when you call too.
Old 04-23-2013
X02
Gas Sipper

ezone. Placed the order. I got 3 #5 as well, since those bolts and nuts will have to be torched off. I called Majestic and they do not charge a core charge, since I will not be sending back my old converter. Thanks for all the help, and I will let you know how it all turns out once it's put on and running.
Old 04-23-2013

Originally Posted by X02
ezone. Placed the order. I got 3 #5 as well, since those bolts and nuts will have to be torched off.
You still won't need them. The new cat comes with them already welded in place. You really only needed 3 new nuts.
Cheap tho, NBD.

I called Majestic and they do not charge a core charge, since I will not be sending back my old converter.
Now THAT'S handy info right there. Thanks.
I'll try to remember this the next time this situation comes up.

I wonder if the core charge was rolled into the sale price anyway.....(Probably?)

Thanks for all the help, and I will let you know how it all turns out once it's put on and running.
YW.
Old 04-28-2013
X02
Gas Sipper

Ezone. Got the converter replaced. The engine light was still present, so I unhooked the battery and reconnected it. Will that be enough as far as the light goes, or will i need to erase the code from the memory bank with a code reader? Also, when I received my invoice from majestic, they charged me $150, then credited it back to me, so that core charge as they said, they do not charge it.
Old 04-28-2013

Originally Posted by X02
Ezone. Got the converter replaced. The engine light was still present, so I unhooked the battery and reconnected it. Will that be enough as far as the light goes, or will i need to erase the code from the memory bank with a code reader?
Right, the computer has no idea that you did anything until it has a chance to run its self-tests during a few drive cycles.

Either way works if it got the light off.

I personally clear codes with a scanner because that is faster for me and "wipes the slate clean" so I know exactly what data is still stored in the PCM (none), I don't have to mess with any radio memory stuff, clock, windows, or anything else affected by a battery disconnect.

Also, when I received my invoice from majestic, they charged me $150, then credited it back to me, so that core charge as they said, they do not charge it.
Good to know. Thanx.
Old 09-23-2013
X02
Gas Sipper

EZONE, I appreciate you helping me with the exhaust/code issue. After changing out the manifold, those codes have not come back. Now, I have another issue. After driving for about 2 hours, I pulled into a parking spot and noticed a little smoke coming from the hood of the car, and smelled like antifreeze. I popped the hood (while the car was running), and antifreeze was spraying up a little bit from the bottom of the car, I also noticed antifreeze was leaking, as a stream was flowing to the curb. The car was getting a little bit hot from the thermostat gauge, as it sits two tick marks under the middle. As i was driving it to a shop, I noticed that the temp gauge would go down, and when I came to an idle, after about 30 seconds, that needle would slowly rise. Once at the shop, and after the car cooled down, the mechanic noticed that I didn't loose much antifreeze, as the car didn't take much when trying to re fill. We turned the car on and let it idle for about 15min, and the temp never rose again, and no more leakage or spatting of antifreeze. The fans both turned on when I turned on the a/c. After 15 min of idling, i did a constant rev engine for 30 sec and noticed that the temp gauge started to rise very seldom. The mechanic checked the fuses, and they were all fine. He noticed that the top radiator hose had a little tension on it while the car was running. I drove the car an hour and a half back home with no issues. I was also in a little traffic and not once did the temperature gauge go up. It remained cool. I'm wondering if its the thermostat? I replaced the timing belt and water hose about a year ago. Since I bought the car used, Im thinking the thermostat is in need of replacement. What are your thoughts? and if it is the thermostat, would an aftermarket work, or just strictly OEM?
Old 09-23-2013

PM'd you about head gasket.
Old 09-24-2013
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Oh that damn head gasket. I wonder how many cars have been killed/left for dead because of that damn thing.
Old 09-24-2013

I know many people don't like the price of the job.

And many of those expected these cars to run forever with ZERO maintenance investment or repair..