7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Need help with my next car

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a.sasaki15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Need help with my next car

I currently own an automatic 01 Em2 Tafetta white. Long story short I co-signed it for a family member that went downhill and I took it over in the worst condition in the interior. I've cleaned it up and modded the car a little and this car has been good to me with no problems while driving. The only thing I feel like I'm missing out is not driving a manual em2. I'm planning to get a new car either a 2004 Civic Ex or 2002 Legacy GT sedan. They're both manual (I'm gonna take a stick shift lesson very soon). Anyone used to own a Em2 Auto and now drive stick shift Em2? Which would you get Em2 or Legacy GT?
Old 04-03-2013
Registered!!

dred is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Need help with my next car

not even a fair comparison
the subaru prolly cost 2x a civic
much nicer car and all wheel drive.

better gas milage in the em2 I would imagine
and prolly cheaper to maintain
Old 04-03-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

A friend of mine was looking at Legacy's and mentioned something about one of the engines having headgasket problems. Might want to look into it! Can't remember what engine it was.

Not that civics don't have that problem as well.
Old 04-03-2013
Registered!!

jimmycivic is an unknown quantity at this point

well, i own a 2001 ex sedan, or a es2, but Ive never owned a suby. i have worked on them and i do have a few friends that have them. price wise is more than a civic to fix but not by much but they are two completely different engine designs. the suby does have more stock power but they tend to fall apart a lil faster then civics both cars you have in mind are great japs but its all your preference and believe it or not standard is alot more fun that's all i drive but if you have two of the exact same cars same driver everything's the same the only difference is one is standard and one is auto the auto is faster by a fraction of a second because of the torque converter so yes auto is faster then standard but soooooo much boring and not by much test drive both and see which one you want more
Old 04-03-2013
Registered!!

a.sasaki15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the comments guys. I did find quite a bit of legacy owners saying theres problem with the head gasket. I think I'd go with the 2004 em2 since it'll be cheaper in terms of maintenance, insurance, and gas. I also like the design. The headlights give the em2 a bit of a sporty look.
Old 04-06-2013
Registered!!

nice choice and i feel the same way about 7th gen front ends and body styles
Old 04-07-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

erm, wrong on the auto being faster (he is looking for an EX, which have shorter gearing).
I had an 01 auto and traded for the 02 EX, which is faster (consider stock civic scales when I say "faster" :P)
concerning insurance, I would not be sure of being cheaper for vics... my miatas are lower insurance than civic... not sure if for burglaries or kids that causes accidents...
Old 04-10-2013
Registered!!

if you have two of the exact same cars same driver everything's the same the only difference is one is standard and one is auto the auto is faster by a fraction of a second because of the torque converter
Old 04-10-2013
Registered!!

Norris is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a manual EM2 and I love it. just annoying in a traffic jam. I've worked the legacy gt spec B, great acceleration with a very odd clutch. Every suby with the 4 cylinder boxer is a head gasket leaker. I haven't seen the 6cyl leak, but I don't know if you can get a manual with that combo. Suby drive train parts can be ridiculously expensive and seals and such you have to get Subaru parts or they'll leak again.
Old 04-11-2013
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

I vote for the Honda...
Old 04-16-2013
Registered!!

ProAc_Fan is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd get the civic no questions asked. Yes the legacy is a nice car, but it's also 2 yrs older and much more likely to need costly maintenance. Also the civic being very plentiful means a wealth of available parts should you require them. Trying to hunt down anything pre owned for a Legacy would be like finding a needle in a haystack. I've worked on a few boxer engines and i much prefer anything from Honda or Toyota. YMMV

Mike
Old 05-05-2013
Registered!!

ateens4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Owned an Celica and have an S2000. Both are super great cars.
Old 05-05-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ateens4
Owned an Celica and have an S2000. Both are super great cars.
Just read the whole post, not sure how this fits?

Another vote for the Honda, reasons already mentioned...