7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Will not start

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Birdland59 is an unknown quantity at this point
Will not start

I removed and then reconnected the negative battery terminal on my 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid and now the starter will not work. I hear a clicking sound under the drivers side dash. Everythings comes on but the starter.
Old 03-05-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will not start

WHY did you disconnect the battery cable in the first place?
Answer that before I start guessing.

You shouldn't hear the 12v starter unless it is super cold out or the IMA battery is low.
Old 03-06-2013
Registered!!

The engine check light was on. The error code was P0420 which ment it was a catalytic converter issue. I was trying to clear the code.
Old 03-06-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

So.....Does it run yet? Let's make it run first.
(That's handy stuff right there.)

Don't clear codes yet.
Go to a dealer, see if all the recalls and updates have been done (or see below).
There have been several software updates for that car, for engine and IMA stuff.
Some are part of a "product update" campaign, (like a recall).
One of the early updates addressed a software issue that causes a false P0420 code.

Software needs to be updated before any parts are thrown at the car. If the issue is a software problem, then parts replacement can't fix it.
Right? Right.

If it comes down to having to replace parts, be aware that there is more than one cat on that car. Replacing the wrong cat will be an expensive mistake.

Recall stuff:
http://automobiles.honda.com/informa...spx?Question=4
Go here and sign up with OWNERLINK to check the recall status, or call the customer assistance hotline and see if there are recalls/campaigns that need completed on your car. Have your VIN handy.

Here's another link, just enter your VIN, (I think):
http://owners.honda.com/service-maintenance/recalls
Old 03-07-2013
Registered!!

I found the problem last night. The previous owner installed a anti-theft device from Omega that was installed in series with the ingnition swith. It was a "rats nest" I removed that device and that fixed that problem. I will take you adavice an removed that deveice and first look recalls and updates.

Thanks