7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

drilled and slotted break disc????? tips???help!!!????

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Portland_civic should not be trusted
drilled and slotted break disc????? tips???help!!!????

thinking of doing something to make the car stop quicker and shorter, and at same time to get them too cool down faster. any tips or input? if i upgrade the disc to i have to get new calipers and break pads too or how does it work?
Old 02-23-2013
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: drilled and slotted break disc????? tips???help!!!????

Originally Posted by Portland_civic
if i upgrade the disc to i have to get new calipers and break pads too or how does it work?
calipers....no

if your replacing rotors then yes, its recommended to replace the pads also at the same time....i would never put old pads on new rotors....slotted or drilled rotors will not help you stop quicker, they just cool faster
Old 02-23-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mikey1
calipers....no

if your replacing rotors then yes, its recommended to replace the pads also at the same time....i would never put old pads on new rotors....slotted or drilled rotors will not help you stop quicker, they just cool faster
I used to have a 98 eclipse and It had drilled and slotted break discs, and it used to stop on a dime in dry, and in wet they very rearly locked up, it also had nice new tires. And obviously new break pads but I mean like I do they got to be special break pads and if I stick with same size break disc then the calipers should fit right? Also about rear breaks drums how do I go about that?
Old 02-23-2013
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

I used to have a 98 eclipse and It had drilled and slotted break discs, and it used to stop on a dime in dry, and in wet they very rearly locked up, it also had nice new tires. And obviously new break pads but I mean like I do they got to be special break pads and if I stick with same size break disc then the calipers should fit right? Also about rear breaks drums how do I go about that?

your eclipse is not a honda civic....stop comparing apples to oranges....the stopping power had nothing to do with drilled or slotted rotors, all that does is help with the cooling of the rotor, it has nothing to do with stopping power....as i said previously, slotted or drilled rotors will not make your car stop better or faster
Old 02-23-2013
Busy Speeding!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough

More contact will help your car stop faster. A 10" slotted rotor has less surface area than a 10" OEM rotor. Upgrade your brake lines to stainless steel if you want performance. Or get a big brake kit with a disc swap for the rear
Old 02-23-2013
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

5 lug swap from a rsx type s if you want to stop on a dime.. drilled and slotted rotors will not do anything
Old 02-23-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

yup nothing can compare to 4 weel disc brakes but if thats not an option then oem blanks with hawk hps pads is your best bet.
Old 02-24-2013
Registered!!

Thanks for the input and links guys will look it all up
Old 02-24-2013
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

omg. another slotted/drilled rotor thread...

first of all, tires stop your car. not rotors and calipers.

second of all, getting drilled/slot will worse the amount of distance required to stop on your car (in general).
Old 02-24-2013

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

read it.

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
you are prob wondering why kenny said slotted/drilled and negligible in performance for our cars.

the original intent of drilled rotors (the holes) was the allow excess gas to be sucked into the vains of the rotors (inside of the rotor) to prevent gas build up between the rotor surface and pad. HOWEVER, pad technology has gone a very long way and the technology for it has exponentially improved. gas is no longer a problem.

drilled rotors also serve as a cooling purpose. it draws air into the veins of the rotor and pushes it out (like many computer fans). however, to do this efficiently, you need directional veined rotors. there is NO aftermarket stock sized rotor that makes directional vein rotors. our 10" rotors are too small for manufactures to give a crap because no one really "races" our rotors to even be considered. most "track/race" civics will have a big brake kit on there.

directional vented vain vs straight vained (what we have) rotors:

now, slotted rotors. those are the little slits you see on rotors. their purpose is to act as a razor blade and clean the surface of the pad with every swipe to allow a clean pad contact with the rotor. HOWEVER, this will EAT UP YOUR PADS very very quickly (compared to say a blank rotor)

application to our cars:

why do we advise NOT to get them for our cars? a few reasons.

1. when you drill/slot the rotors, you significantly lose surface area of your rotor. that means less surface area for your pad to come in contact with your rotor. this means less friction, less braking power, and a loss in braking performance.

so why do all the higher end cars have them? because they run 15" rotors and we run 10." they can throw some drills/slots in there and not sacrifice surface area.

2. properly drilled/slotted/veined rotors are meant to take and cool high heat...ie racing applications. if you drive on the streets and do occasional spirited driving, you will rarely push your rotors to its limits. and if you ARE serious about racing/autox, then your stock rotor is extremely insufficient and you need to think of investing in a big brake kit.

3. drilling/slotting the rotors weakens the structure. period. there is no argument in it. its basic physics. when you look at the cars that have proper drilled/slots, you will notice that the thickness of their rotor is MUCH thicker than ours.

google it, you'll find plenty of failed rotors that were drilled.

and this isn't exclusive to our little rotors. There have been guys with the IS-F that have cracked their oem rotors on the track. google and you shall see.

now, for street applications for your civic, if you want to go with slotted/drilled rotors, then thats fine. chances are you will not push those rotors to their limits and if you got a decent brand, you'll be ok.

and if you want them simply for looks, no one here is to tell you otherwise because its your car, your taste. hope you have learned something and hope i have cleared some confusion concerning drilled slots.
Old 02-24-2013
Registered!!

Makes since, I wouldn't get that for looks, it's a daily driver so I want it to be safer before I go faster. Look is just the bonus
Old 02-24-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

most recent one, if you wondering
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...t-awesome.html

and if you really serious, better read first:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...elled-out.html

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...1-01-05-a.html

and no, it's not an easy undertaking. one member had his troubles when attempting one conversion. and he is no slouch, but the differences caused a lot of trouble to him.
if you just saying for saying, do not recommend trying.

but most of all, as sl33py put it so well, what stops cars are tires, not brakes. if you lock then tires, no matter what locking power brakes have. if you ask me back what is the best tire? i will simply reply the best for the circumstances. (extreme performance tires in snow does not sound right, correct?)

thinking of doing something to make the car stop quicker and shorter, and at same time to get them too cool down faster. any tips or input? if i upgrade the disc to i have to get new calipers and break pads too or how does it work?
BTW, why are you lol'ing?
Old 02-27-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
most recent one, if you wondering
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...t-awesome.html

and if you really serious, better read first:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...elled-out.html

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...1-01-05-a.html

and no, it's not an easy undertaking. one member had his troubles when attempting one conversion. and he is no slouch, but the differences caused a lot of trouble to him.
if you just saying for saying, do not recommend trying.

but most of all, as sl33py put it so well, what stops cars are tires, not brakes. if you lock then tires, no matter what locking power brakes have. if you ask me back what is the best tire? i will simply reply the best for the circumstances. (extreme performance tires in snow does not sound right, correct?)

BTW, why are you lol'ing?
Well it's just I know that the tires are the main part, but I also encounter longish hills and slopes, and my breaks go super soft and I got no breaks when I try to stop at a lights, this break and tire combo I though would be great and I was asking about the procedure and parts aid have to change because I wouldn't be using tires from junk yards, I'd be buying nice tires the lolling is just something I do
Old 02-27-2013

Makes since, I wouldn't get that for looks, it's a daily driver so I want it to be safer before I go faster. Look is just the bonus
Then don't get drilled/slots for your oem sized if you want to be safe.

If your peddle gets soft under braking then its time to flush your brake system and put new fluid in there.

And it you want a stiffer/firmer (less spongy feel), get stainless steal brake lines
Old 02-27-2013

If you can lock your tires out at almost any speed, then your rotors/pads are not the weak point. Get better tires.

If you car doesn't feel like its slowing down fast enough, then it's probably your pads are crappy and don't create enough friction to slow the car.
Old 02-28-2013
Registered!!

I checked the rotors are not smooth, extremely ruff very wavy surface, and what I ment was I had a few times where I'm going down hill and it's steep about half a mile long, and I have to be on the breaks they basically faded on me and just went super soft, and smelly, after it cooled down it became fine again, so I guess real question is how much faster do the drilled and slottered break rotors actually cool down, and is it worth it?
Old 02-28-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
Then don't get drilled/slots for your oem sized if you want to be safe.

If your peddle gets soft under braking then its time to flush your brake system and put new fluid in there.

And it you want a stiffer/firmer (less spongy feel), get stainless steal brake lines
The pedal is still same stiffness but the way the car reacts to the amount of pressure applied don't match, and come a point when I'm pushing hardest and all the way and the car is barely dropping speed, and when it does stop they almost glow. So I ment the breaks get soft not the pedal
Old 03-02-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

you might need to use engine brake or swap to DOT4 fluid.
you loosing brakes because they are actually doing their job. and heating the fluid...
Old 03-02-2013

The pedal is still same stiffness but the way the car reacts to the amount of pressure applied don't match, and come a point when I'm pushing hardest and all the way and the car is barely dropping speed, and when it does stop they almost glow. So I ment the breaks get soft not the pedal
wrong. rubber hoes are able to expand under load much more than SS braided hoes. therefore, with rubber hoes, your peddle will be much more sponge compared to a SS lines.
Old 03-02-2013
Registered!!

johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

It's "BRAKES", not breaks, pet peeve. If you are fading stock brakes under stockish use, two things come to mind. Either your pads are junky, or your braking technique isn't very good... Learn to drive a semi or big truck and the first thing you learn is how to brake properly. Stab the brakes hard to get to your "set speed", then let off of them completely until the upper set speed, then repeat as needed. Doesn't matter if you have 10 inch or 20 inch brakes if you ride them they will heat up. Also, use engine braking it is your friend. If you have a manual transmission, in general if you climb a hill in a specific gear descend the other side in 1 gear lower. If you have an auto it is a bit out of you hands....

Last edited by johndeerebones; 03-02-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-02-2013

lol...****... i ride my brakes in purpose in the mornings to heat them up. gawd damn hawk HP+ pads dont work properly unless they're hot.
Old 03-03-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by johndeerebones
Either your pads are junky, or your braking technique isn't very good... Learn to drive a semi or big truck and the first thing you learn is how to brake properly. Stab the brakes hard to get to your "set speed", then let off of them completely until the upper set speed, then repeat as needed. Doesn't matter if you have 10 inch or 20 inch brakes if you ride them they will heat up.
I thought on mention that, too. Completely agree. coming back from Canada with the trunk/rear seat and passenger seat completely full of my stuff and having my headlights illuminating the skies, but even so braking was hard yet not overheating. It was a 20 hour trip with the tires tucked in the fenders... still no overheating.

based on his comments and stuff, i simply thought it would easier to tell him to switch to DOT 4 than teaching him how to drive through internet...
Old 03-03-2013
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
scooty is on a distinguished road

I can concur that slotted rotors do not noticeably improve braking in our cars. My car came with them from the previous owner. When they wore out, I replaced them with regular cheap rotors and noticed no difference at all.

What will improve braking a lot more is a good set of performance shocks, springs and sticky tires. SS brake lines and a properly bled system will make the pedal feel crisp and tight, and you will feel as if the car has stronger brakes.
Old 03-03-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Muirsy
5 lug swap from a rsx type s if you want to stop on a dime.. drilled and slotted rotors will not do anything
Yessss... The difference is night and day. Upgrading to larger tires helps here too. Which you naturally will do by going 5 lug.
Old 03-03-2013
Registered!!

johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

Wider, yes. Bigger nope, unless they are alot lighter. More rolling inertia to stop. Came from a truck background. If you put big tires and wheels on you better do some upgrades in the brakes too or you will rearend someone.... The gains would be from bigger brakes to go along with the 5-lug....
Old 03-03-2013
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

^ 5 lug=cheap big brake kit unless you use rsx base brakes then there really isn't a point going to 5 lug
Old 03-03-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

RSX type "S" :

Name:  20130301_095335_zps1be75b98.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  111.4 KB

vs. RSX Base:

Name:  SAM_6777.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  94.2 KB

Huge upgrade. Your going from a 10" rotor to 11.8". These swaps can be seen on Kijiji for as little as 300 dollars. It is a big job though, and you need new rims+tires. Still cheaper than a BBK.
Old 03-03-2013
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
RSX type "S" :

vs. RSX Base:

Huge upgrade. Your going from a 10" rotor to 11.8". These swaps can be seen on Kijiji for as little as 300 dollars. It is a big job though, and you need new rims+tires. Still cheaper than a BBK.
Yeah, still way more expensive than just running stock with little or no performance improvement on braking.
Old 03-04-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Matt_75
Yeah, still way more expensive than just running stock with little or no performance improvement on braking.
5 lug swap from a rsx type s is relatively cheap and is a huge improvement over stock braking
Old 03-04-2013
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Muirsy
5 lug swap from a rsx type s is relatively cheap and is a huge improvement over stock braking
Oh yeah. Do you have any quantitative data showing rsx type s vs. stock stopping distances?

Quick Reply: drilled and slotted break disc????? tips???help!!!????