7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Picked up 02 civic (auto trans related)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
senicalj4579 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Picked up 02 civic (auto trans related)

Last summer I saw a 2002 civic auto with 117k. It had a stack of maintenance papers with lots of new parts. So I bought it. Then, I found out from internet forums that the trans in these cars suck.

Anyway, I have a couple things but first...
I might have some interesting evidence to suggest that automatic trans fluid flushes are not good (as many have already said).

According to the original owners mainentance reciept the trans had a fluid change of 3qts at 92k miles. This was the first time the trans fluid had been touched.

The second time was at 98k which the reciept says 14 qts of fluid. Which tells me it must have been a full flush.

Well, at 107k the trans gave out and would not drive. So it was replaced with another factory one.

I know we cant just say for sure it was the flush and such but its interesting how the trans totally gave out 9k miles after a full flush.

Now my question...
The car now has 128k on it. The new trans has 21k on it. What can I do to help this trans last longer? Anyone with this POS trans ever find out why they fail like they do? Also, what is the FULL fluid capacity of these trans?
Old 02-06-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Picked up 02 civic (auto trans related)

its interesting how the trans totally gave out 9k miles after a full flush.
No it's not. You aren't taking into account the 92k of neglect. Plus the fact they are a weak point.

IF the services were done at the request of the owner, then I bet that having the trans serviced twice in 6000 miles indicates the trans was probably doing something either mildly or drastically wrong. Sure seems like nobody wants to take care of a trans until it is too late. "Oooh it's acting funny! Better get it serviced!!"

If the services were upsold by the shop during a regular visit (oil change?), then it's probably a different story.

The chemicals that are dumped in immediately prior to a JizzyLube type machine flush could be one of many reasons they seem to fail shortly after a flush.

We have no way of knowing what exactly happened to your car. I have no way of knowing if the "flush" was done according to the published Honda service info, or if chemicals and a machine were used.
I can only speculate.

(We actually had a flush machine company demo a unit on one of our Hondas several years ago. The car didn't make it 2 miles after the flush. That was proof enough for us here at this shop.

"Those who can't remember the past are doomed to repeat it."

Same was done again more recently on an OLD 93 Accord with well over 200k on it. It went another 10k before it started acting funny.

Some of us tried to warn the person that decided this was a great idea, but we must not have any idea what we are doing.)

The new trans has 21k on it. What can I do to help this trans last longer?
IMHO, Change the ATF (drain and fill, about 2.5q) at every, or every other other oil change from now on. USE the specific ATF-DW-1 fluid from Honda.
If you can change the engine oil by yourself, you can do this too.

You say the replacement trans was a factory reman, I believe the main issues that plagued the 01-02 should have been taken care of during the rebuild. Cross your fingers.

what is the FULL fluid capacity of these trans?
Just until the fluid is at the full line on the dipstick when hot. No more.

Actually, I don't know and don't need to know. You can't get it all out by draining it, and the reman units are already half full because they are tested before shipment. Drain and fill takes about 2.5q or a shade more.

I'd guess around 7-8 quarts though (I did not look it up either).

HTH
Old 02-06-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
No it's not. You aren't taking into account the 92k of neglect. Plus the fact they are a weak point.
Take it easy, we are on the same page bro. I posted "I know we cant just say for sure it was the flush and such but" Sorry you did not read and understand that. Its a FWIW kinda post ya know?

IF the services were done at the request of the owner, then I bet that having the trans serviced twice in 6000 miles indicates the trans was probably doing something either mildly or drastically wrong. Sure seems like nobody wants to take care of a trans until it is too late. "Oooh it's acting funny! Better get it serviced!!"

If the services were upsold by the shop during a regular visit (oil change?), then it's probably a different story.

The chemicals that are dumped in immediately prior to a JizzyLube type machine flush could be one of many reasons they seem to fail shortly after a flush.

We have no way of knowing what exactly happened to your car. I have no way of knowing if the "flush" was done according to the published Honda service info, or if chemicals and a machine were used.
I can only speculate.
Facts...
Car was serviced 5/5/09 at 92,494 miles. This was 1st time trans fluid was touched (that I know of) It was not only trans fluid. It was these things...
air filter
cabin air filter
spark plugs
oil+filter
ATF fluid
fuel injector cleaning
headlight bulb

Car was serviced 3/22/10 at 98,596 miles. This was the trans flush BUT was not the only thing done. Work done...
Signature service (whatever that is)
oil+filter
trans flush with 14 qts.

Oh and the flush service was actually done by "jizzylube" with the flush machine

Now, in between 32,875 miles to 57,000 there were 5 services done to the car that I have no way of knowing what was done. I know this because these records are through carfax and they all say the honda dealer. The original owner has no records in the stack of papers of this though. Once again its only a FWIW.

(We actually had a flush machine company demo a unit on one of our Hondas several years ago. The car didn't make it 2 miles after the flush. That was proof enough for us here at this shop.

"Those who can't remember the past are doomed to repeat it."

Same was done again more recently on an OLD 93 Accord with well over 200k on it. It went another 10k before it started acting funny.

Some of us tried to warn the person that decided this was a great idea, but we must not have any idea what we are doing.)
I agree. I know trans shop owners who turn people away from having a flush done (not jizzy lube of course lol)
When I change my fluid in my heads, cam, intake 01 camaro I just drop the pan and do fluid+filter. The only time ill change all the fluid is if im changing the high stall torque converter. Ill stand the trans up on its tail to get all the fluid out.

IMHO, Change the ATF (drain and fill, about 2.5q) at every, or every other other oil change from now on. USE the specific ATF-DW-1 fluid from Honda.
If you can change the engine oil by yourself, you can do this too.
I agree, its novice work. I do my oil+filter in this car every 5k. So every 10k I suppose would be alright. It just sucks these trans suck so bad. I dont even change the drag cars trans fluid that much ha.

You say the replacement trans was a factory reman, I believe the main issues that plagued the 01-02 should have been taken care of during the rebuild. Cross your fingers.
Well, the work was done by the honda dealer and when I google the #s this comes up http://www.oemparts4cars.com/proddet...X-L31RM&cat=61
Yes, I hope I can make it last lol.

Just until the fluid is at the full line on the dipstick when hot. No more.

Actually, I don't know and don't need to know. You can't get it all out by draining it, and the reman units are already half full because they are tested before shipment. Drain and fill takes about 2.5q or a shade more.

I'd guess around 7-8 quarts though (I did not look it up either).

HTH
I was only asking because when the trans was installed it says they used 6qts. Im used to 10+qts in the camaro. I would of expected it to be more than 6qts. I just hope its not a sign of them using old fluid thats all.

Thanks for your help
Old 02-06-2013
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

in my opinion there comes a point in time where i think a fluid change or flush does more harm than good.....i have a relative of mine that has 260,000km on their auto tranny with original fluid (never been changed), the tranny shifts like new, never a problem.....i have advised them NOT to change the fluid, as i feel at this point in time it will do more harm than good
Old 02-06-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mikey1
in my opinion there comes a point in time where i think a fluid change or flush does more harm than good.....i have a relative of mine that has 260,000km on their auto tranny with original fluid (never been changed), the tranny shifts like new, never a problem.....i have advised them NOT to change the fluid, as i feel at this point in time it will do more harm than good

If it were my car I would do whats in the pan. From what I have seen its when a flush machine is used when SHTF with trans. Im not saying it could not happen by just changing the pan fluid but I have not seen it. Just the flush machines.
Old 02-06-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry you did not read and understand that.
Was on lunch break, just kinda skimmed the post. Comprehension fail.

Now, in between 32,875 miles to 57,000 there were 5 services done to the car that I have no way of knowing what was done. I know this because these records are through carfax
So this presumably could have been a dealership visit for ANY reason where a work order was generated at the shop? Plenty of possibilities. Would the dealer be kind enough to divulge that info? I know we have done this for new owners once in a while.

Oh and the flush service was actually done by "jizzylube" with the flush machine
How'd I guess that? LOL.
I bet the wrong fluid was used too. Jizzy places aren't normally going to rush out and buy the correct manufacturer specific fluids (no profit in that), they normally use cheapo bulk semi-universal fluid with an additive package.

Dealer would probably only use a case (12) for an official "flush" procedure.
I dont even change the drag cars trans fluid that much ha.
How many miles can you rack up 1/4 mile at a time?

Just curious, what would the trans fluid temp be at the end of a 1/4 mi. pass?

I would of expected it to be more than 6qts.
We bill 6 quarts for every trans replacement no matter what it actually takes.
I'd think only about 3-4 were actually needed to fill it when it was replaced.
They are test run and then drained from the drain plug, so there is a significant amount still inside when corked and boxed for shipping.

It was not only trans fluid. It was these things...
Looks like typical 90k maint items.
Did you find in the paperwork where a timing belt service was ever done? Somewhere between 60-105k maybe?
Old 02-06-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Was on lunch break, just kinda skimmed the post. Comprehension fail.
LOL I just wanted it to be known I understand theres many things that could of happened

So this presumably could have been a dealership visit for ANY reason where a work order was generated at the shop? Plenty of possibilities. Would the dealer be kind enough to divulge that info? I know we have done this for new owners once in a while.

Yes that is correct. Im thinking there must have been at least an engine oil change somewhere within those miles but who knows, could of been another trans for all I can see. Thats a good idea but not sure if I will go through the hassle lol but who knows.

How'd I guess that? LOL.
I bet the wrong fluid was used too. Jizzy places aren't normally going to rush out and buy the correct manufacturer specific fluids (no profit in that), they normally use cheapo bulk semi-universal fluid with an additive package.

Dealer would probably only use a case (12) for an official "flush" procedure.
I agree. They did a coolant flush on one of my old camaros I used to own and they put in some universal stuff. I was standing over them the whole time (cause I dont trust stranger with my cars) asking WTH id that stuff?! LOL

How many miles can you rack up 1/4 mile at a time?
Actually when your racing, its not about the miles you put on the trans. because the car would be used for wide open throttle its putting max pressure on things. Lots of guys go by how many passes they do or change it at the end of the season.
But my car is still mainly a street car that sees track couple times a year. So, I do go by miles. I figure 15k is good for my trans.

Just curious, what would the trans fluid temp be at the end of a 1/4 mi. pass?
Well, that depends on many things. If its summer and the car is already at full temp, and it has not made a pass yet, I would probably see 200f give or take read from my pcm. But if I choose to hot lap the car a few passes in a row it could get up to 220-230f. Its never a good idea to hot lap any car. I park it and let it cool for 30-60 min before racing.
I have an external trans cooler OUT of the loop of the stock trans cooler (located in the radiator) The stock cooler actually fights trying to cool the fluid because its heated by the engine coolant in the radiator.
Also a 160 t stat helps along with tuning the cooling fans to come on sooner.
Those are just some things that I do to keep temps down.

We bill 6 quarts for every trans replacement no matter what it actually takes.
I'd think only about 3-4 were actually needed to fill it when it was replaced.
They are test run and then drained from the drain plug, so there is a significant amount still inside when corked and boxed for shipping.

Looks like typical 90k maint items.
Did you find in the paperwork where a timing belt service was ever done? Somewhere between 60-105k maybe?
Actually yes. Timing belt, waterpump, and antifreeze was done at 96,835.
Thats just one of the things that made me want the car. I didnt have to worry about doing the work or even better yet...breaking and taking out my valves with it

Sorry long post lol

Last edited by senicalj4579; 02-06-2013 at 04:27 PM.