7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

What to look for when buying an engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013
Busy Speeding!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough
What to look for when buying an engine

Hey guys I'm looking to build a frank motor out of my k20a2 and a k24. I found a k24a1 out of a 2002 crv for sale on Craigslist. I'd just like to point out, I'm going to school for import automotive technology and I have access to every engine machining and building tool possible, so rebuilding this is if something was put together wrong will be easy. Here's the ad. For some reason I'm not able to download the pictures :/

FOR SALE:
K24 Stock rebuild
Fresh powder coated valve cover
New engine gasket set
Re-lapped valve seats
New valve seals
New piston rings
New bearings
New timing chain
New timing chain tensioner
Was out of a 2002 CRV

Perfect for a swap-has CRV Engine mounts

Originally purchased to put into my CRX but I'm purchasing a new home, and need the money. I need it gone ASAP so please let me know if your interested. Please give me a call or text me with any questions:

He said the engine had 100,000 miles before the rebuild, I have yet to ask him why he did the rebuild and other specific questions. When I go to look at this engine, what should I look for? What should I ask him? And should I write a paper the he can sign that says "the engine is in good shape, no problems, etc." kind of like a warranty to cover me. I don't wanna drop in an engine and realize something is wrong like a scored cylinder or a bent rod.

Suggestions?

Edit: he said he was doing the rebuild because the engine had low compression. He never ran the engine after rebuilding it
Old 01-24-2013
Kenny the Ricer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What to look for when buying an engine

If you work around import autoshop, you should be familiar with most blocks and how they should look.
Use your training to guide you to your best decision.

In terms of legality:
Every purchase in theory should be handwritten and signed.
It is mainly to protect the buyer, but it also protects the seller as well.

To protect yourself, specifics should be included in the agreement.
"The engine being sold is in perfect running condition, to the best of my knowledge"
Will protect the seller, but not the buyer.
Word play is not your best friend in a court of law.
To protect yourself, you need to be specific as possible.

If there is nothing wrong with the engine, the seller will have no qualms to signing a bill of sale.
If he is rather defensive about it, I would be weary.
Old 01-24-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I'd run away. Run far. Run fast. Don't look back.

For that engine to truly have low compression at ONLY 100k, it had to be abused/neglected/overheated/dumbassed.
Yes, dumbassed.
As in: Ever have someone pull a dumbass move and completely ruin something really expensive?

Hold my beer and watch this....

And then you have NO CLUE what this "rebuild" entailed. Or if it was done even remotely correctly.
Maybe that's why it hasn't been run.

You have no recourse when you finally figure out it can't even make a decent boat anchor.

Not worth it in my book.
No effin way.

Get a complete used engine from a reputable wrecking yard, hopefully local to you and you can hear it run.
If you can't find local, they still should be easy to find. www.car-part.com (several under $900)

With regular oil changes, these go 200-300k+ easily in all the rest of the cars they were installed in, CRV, Accord, Element, and all the similar Acuras. Heck, the RDX uses a Turbo 2.3 version of the K. Very few problems.

Last edited by ezone; 01-24-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-25-2013
Busy Speeding!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough

I'll ask him more questions about the compression problem. And I'll be tearing it apart anyways at school. I'll see if everything looks good