7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2005 Civic (old guy) build

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trikky74 is an unknown quantity at this point
2005 Civic (old guy) build

Hey guys,
I am looking at putting some mods on my 2005 Honda Civic and I need some advice, which I am sure I could find with a sherpa and about 2 weeks of time to search all the applicable threads, on products that are well thought of.

I am looking at adding;

1) HID headlights but I want a totally enclosed, plug and play, type of product
2) A cold air intake that won't require any flashing or computer work or that works in concert with mod #3
3) A chip that is able to fluctuate between programs such as performance and fuel management etc
4) Sway/torsion bars
5) Lowering kit (quality)
6) Quality front seats (having a hard time finding decent reviews on sparco versus mono etc)
7) I want to replace the dash instruments with an led digital dash insert

Thanks guys, I know that these boards are flooded with this type of information but I am having a hard time narrowing my choices down to products that are well thought of.
Old 01-19-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2005 Civic (old guy) build

Quick question.. Do you have a DX/LX, EX, or Si?

1) morimoto retrofit kit from theretrofitsource.com.. closest to PnP you'll get.
2) Choose one. you won't have to flash or anything.. Just do an idle relearn procedure and you'll be fine. I personally like the AEM V2, but it's a bit pricey. It looks pretty in the engine bay though.
3) Splurge for a hondata k-pro.. Requires a donor k-series ECU plus 1100 for the k-pro itself. Unless you plan a full on n/a or turbo build, this is fairly unnecessary with the D17
4) Neuspeed front upper strut bar is a good one. Acura RSX 19mm rear sway bar bolts right up if you have a stock sway bar. Rear lower tie bar if you so choose.
5) I'm a personal fan of tein suspension products, but it depends on what you wanna do. Just lower it? Or do you want adjustability? If so, what kind: height only, dampering and height? You'll want a camber kit to go along with lowering, no less.
6) I like my sparcos. Only complaint is fading of the black parts. Recaro makes real nice seats, too. Many companies use the to make their OEM racing-style seats (like in the subary WRX STI)
7) Good luck.
Old 01-19-2013
Registered!!

Thanks!

I appreciate the response. I have an EX, AT, and I was holding off because I was contemplating getting an SI. It turns out that now that the car is paid off, and being as how I put 200 miles a day on the car commuting to work, that getting this one worked on is a more attractive option.

I am taking a look at the products that you listed right now, thanks again!
Old 01-19-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

its automatic i wouldn't even bother putting money into the engine.
Old 01-19-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lowlife9
its automatic i wouldn't even bother putting money into the engine.
I'm not looking to tune it up for high performance or anything, I'm looking for adjustability and fuel management. What would you suggest, other than buying a manual transmission car?

Old 01-19-2013
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

It's your car, do what you want to it.
I have an AT too, doesn't stop me from working on it.

1) HID headlights but I want a totally enclosed, plug and play, type of product
For HIDs, you will want to run a projector to keep the light focused.
Like riceboy said, morimoto minis are the choice.

2) A cold air intake that won't require any flashing or computer work or that works in concert with mod #3
Any cold air intake works, they are all plug and play, no ecu mods needed.
3) A chip that is able to fluctuate between programs such as performance and fuel management etc
This isn't a sports car where you can hit a button and have sport mode, you either tune it for performance, or leave it as is for fuel savings.
4) Sway/torsion bars
RSX rear sways will be a nice upgrade. Stock RSX is 19mm, 05/06 Type S is 21mm.
They both will bolt right up.
You can get a brand new Type S 21mm online for about $100 shipped with bushings.

5) Lowering kit (quality)
Ride quality or handling quality?
Tein makes good springs and coilovers.

6) Quality front seats (having a hard time finding decent reviews on sparco versus mono etc)
EP3 (7th gen Si) and RSX seats are good stock alternatives.
Old 01-19-2013
Registered!!

Thanks Kenny, I will look into those seats.
Old 01-19-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

sidenote about the RSX seats.. Only 3 of the 4 bolts holding them down bolt in to the stock locations. The fourth you have to drill out a little.. Not sure if it's the same deal with teh EP3 seats
Old 01-20-2013
Busy Speeding!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
3) Splurge for a hondata k-pro.. Requires a donor k-series ECU plus 1100 for the k-pro itself.
K-pro isn't that expensive. A used prb ecu is ~$200 and you can send that into hondata and get the newest version for $675. That comes to $875. Since hondata lowered the price some guys I were talking to said they would take a used kpro (v1 or v2) only for $600, no more
Old 01-20-2013
Busy Speeding!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough

What are you looking to get out of your car? Power? Handling? Fun daily driver? I'd just k-swap it ^_^ solves all the problems
Old 01-20-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

if you just want some lowering, easiest way is spring/shock combo.
shocks - either
Tokiko HP (blues) - non adjustable but can easily handle lowering up to 2" (? memory is not good anymore... )
Koni (yellows?)

Springs
personally use the eibach pro and it's small lowering but confortable for me. there's the sport version that goes lower, but i like my cars with stiffer springs but with compliance (saved me during my canadian stay, with all snow)
H&R or tein had good reviews too. Neuspeed sounds good ones too. can't say on them sicne i never rode on them.

if you want coilovers, it get more expensive, but mid way is the GC sleeves with the shocks mentioned above.

either way, below 2" you likely will need camber adjustement kits for street use also (I autoX, so even with my mild lowering the rear camber was too much...)

more details, there a whole lot in my signature below