Safety/Security Items - SRS, Keys, Immobilizer, airbags, ABS Post your safety, security questions here! Airbags, Keys (immobilizer)

programming key fob flashing green key light

Old 01-07-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sijen is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy programming key fob flashing green key light

Hi, I own a Honda civic 1.7 diesel( just purchased it)2003. My problem is the central locking works with the key, however the key fob does not work, I have checked the battery, and it's fine, I have tried to program the key with no success, even though I have used the correct sequence. I go through the process and I get a green flashing key on the dash when I have finished the sequence. This is the process I use.
open the car
key in tun key to II, then press lock or unlock, repeat 4 times.. nothing happens, the only other thing I have noticed is when i turn the key to 0 the green light flashes every time through the sequence.Please can anyone help
Thanks
Old 01-07-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: programming key fob flashing green key light

The flashing green key is there to tell you that you have the correct coded key for the module, not that your fob is programmed correctly.

I dont think thats the right programming procedure. Try this:

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2724098
Old 01-07-2013
Registered!!

Hi thanks for your reply, I think I must have written the sequence down in my question, the link that you posted, that is the one I did, and it didn't work, please help
Old 01-07-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

On THIS side of the pond, that green key light is only associated with the immobilizer (chip) keys. Has nothing to do with remote functions, no matter if it is a separate fob or built into the head of the key.
Read your owners manual for info about that green key light and Immobilizer. Learn when it is supposed to flash, and when it isn't.

Typical fob programming:
Turn key to ON (do not start)
Push a button
Turn key OFF
Turn key ON
Push the same button
Turn key OFF

Repeat (total 4x) until the power locks cycle. Programming mode is now entered.

Push ONE button again to program that remote. locks should cycle
Push ONE button on each other remote, locks should cycle for each.

Key OFF. Done.

If the car never enters the programming mode, it may not be equipped with keyless, someone just gave you fobs that don't go to that car.
Not all versions of the cars were equipped with keyless over here.

HTH
Old 01-07-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
On THIS side of the pond, that green key light is only associated with the immobilizer (chip) keys. Has nothing to do with remote functions, no matter if it is a separate fob or built into the head of the key.
Read your owners manual for info about that green key light and Immobilizer. Learn when it is supposed to flash, and when it isn't.

Typical fob programming:
Turn key to ON (do not start)
Push a button
Turn key OFF
Turn key ON
Push the same button
Turn key OFF

Repeat (total 4x) until the power locks cycle. Programming mode is now entered.

Push ONE button again to program that remote. locks should cycle
Push ONE button on each other remote, locks should cycle for each.

Key OFF. Done.

If the car never enters the programming mode, it may not be equipped with keyless, someone just gave you fobs that don't go to that car.

HTH
I hear what your saying thanks, but the car has definitely got a key fob, I have checked the spec, I have definitely repeated the steps very carefully, any other ideas? oh I dont hear any sounds, like the horn as I have watched with others programming their keys, is that right?
Old 01-07-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone can get a FOB. I could hand you a dozen of them. None will work with your car as-is.

The question must now be: Is the car equipped with the keyless receiver?

If the car isn't equipped with the keyless receiver, you will never be able to program a fob to it.
Old 01-07-2013
Registered!!

lol, ok how do I find out if I have a key-less receiver.
Old 01-07-2013

I cannot tell you, I have no idea where to look.
I don't have any information about your cars on THAT side of the pond. Your cars don't seem to be the same as ours.

I only have access to info for US market cars.

*I* would be looking in the factory wiring diagram book, locate the keyless entry section. Find photos (yes, our book has pictures LOL) of the keyless receiver unit and its location in the interior of the car/dashboard.

Examples: For an 02 Civic EX here, it is hidden behind the center panel of the dash.
If the 02 Civic was an EX, the keyless was factory installed.
If the 02 Civic was an LX, GX, HX, you had to buy it as an accessory and have it installed.
If the 02 Civic was a DX, then keyless was not even possible.

You may be able to figure out if yours was factory equipped with keyless by using an online parts catalog and the VIN of the car. (I use this method at work, but you may not be able to.)
Or call a dealer and ask----(wait, I know how many people CAN'T answer that correctly where I work.)

Got a phone hotline number for Hondas Customer Assistance in your owners manual? Ask them!
Old 01-07-2013
Registered!!

I will try that, thanks man, your advice was much apprecited