7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

I had a small accident and the price of repair is more than I expected...OPTIONS!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a.sasaki15 is an unknown quantity at this point
I had a small accident and the price of repair is more than I expected...OPTIONS!

Long story short I accidentally hit the rear of this womans Toyota car. I was at a stop sign behind her and when the signal hit green she drove ahead and I pressed on the pedal and then the glare from the sun just blinded me and thats how I hit her rear (When the sun comes out in Seattle during January it's so bright you need shades to drive...). I have full coverage insurance so there's no worries about her car except for mine. My 2001 ex Honda Civic (White) has scratches, bit of paint from the Toyota, and the license plate is busted. I went to my insurance service center and the repair cost for my car is about 550 dollars to repair scratches, paint, and labor cost....I was thinking more like 200-250.... Tax refund season is coming up soon and paying that is no problem but I just feel like its way too much for a small damage (It's mostly labor cost). I have existing paint chip and one rust spot on my front body...I asked how much it would cost to repair and the guy at the insurance center said 450 bucks....Holy moly

My options: Get a new bumper ($99) and front hood ($150). I'm thinking about getting a lip too ($100)...These are non-painted and non-primed. I intend on buying primer spray and white paint or black spray or I may have it done at maaco. I've never fixed cars so this may be my first project...If you've put a new bumber and front hood before please give me some tips. Helpful advice on whether to have my insurance company fix it or do it myself will be great! Thanks!
Old 01-05-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: I had a small accident and the price of repair is more than I expected...OPTIONS!

$500 for body work isn't a lot. For that small amount of damage I wouldn't even go through the insurance company (if it makes your rates increase). Macco is cheap, so it will look cheap. If it was me I would just have them repair what is damaged (with a good body shop). A cheap body shop won't match it well and paint won't last long. $100 bumper may not fit as well as an OEM bumper.
Old 01-07-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: I had a small accident and the price of repair is more than I expected...OPTIONS!

The estimate of $550 sounds very reasonable. You can try the new bumper and hood but at those prices you will probably never get them to fit correctly or spend more labor getting them to than OEM ones would cost.

As far as Maaco goes, I would never take a car there. They are franchises so there may be some that do good work but none of the ones I have ever seen have.

I would use the shop that the insurance company recommends because the insurance company usually gives a lifetime warranty on the work. If the shop goes out of business the insurance company still has to stand behind the repair. Whatever shop you use should give a lifetime warranty on the paint and this can be especially important on a bumper. Since bumpers flex it is critical that the paint adhere to the bumper and flex with it. There are agents that are added to the paint to increase flexibility when they are sprayed on a bumper but this increases the cost and a place like Maaco probably will skip it. The good news is white paint is fairly easy to match so any decent shop should be able to get a good match.