7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

02 Civic H.I.D. Headlights tips, questions, and help...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jmars808 is an unknown quantity at this point
02 Civic H.I.D. Headlights tips, questions, and help...

Hi all,

I am interested in getting some HID lights for my 2002 red Honda Civic EX coupe. I basically know nothing about them except for some things I learned on here and online researching.

After my research, I still do not know what kind to get for my car. I like the color of the 6000K lights but not sure on much else.

Questions:

Should I get projectors? (I saw they have less glare)
Would a low cost HID kit from eBay do the trick? If so , what type or brand? (something in the $40-$50 range?)
I saw something about the Morimoto minis, is that the only way to get good HID lights for our cars? They are a little pricey for me.
What is does retro fit mean? Compared to just a HID kit.
Do I need to replace just the bulb and keep my housing or do I need a whole new housing with bulbs?

I would like to stay under $150 if possible for decent HID lights. Less expensive is always better.

Thanks for your help and/or pointing me in the right direction!

Jeff
Old 12-03-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: 02 Civic H.I.D. Headlights tips, questions, and help...

Yes you should get projectors. HID's work best with projectors.
If your looking for a cheap HID kit go to ddmtuning.com. They have good ones for the price.
The morimoto mini is a projector and for the price it's a great one. There are cheaper projectors but they won't be good.
A retrofit is where you fit projectors in your headlight housing. See this thread for pics:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ket+headlights
Old 12-03-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

Morimoto mini kit $120 bucks DDM tuning hid kit $30 bucks total $150 bucks.
Old 12-03-2012
Registered!!

Thanks a lot for the tips guys! Big help.

Originally Posted by lowlife9
Morimoto mini kit $120 bucks DDM tuning hid kit $30 bucks total $150 bucks.
Lowlife,

This sounds like what I will get.

It looks like I would get from DDM the HID kit with H1 bulbs, at 6000K, and 35Watts to put into the Bi-xenon: Morimoto Mini H1 5.0.

With the DDM kit, Would I need to buy any other stuff like a harness or brackets?

Thanks!
Old 12-03-2012
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Just to clarify, a retrofit is when you install an HID projector in a non-HID equipped headlight. I'd recommend you buy a relay harness for HIDs, so the ballasts get ample power. If you don't, chances are one side won't work all the time.

Lemme dig around and see if I still have my old DDM 55w digital ballast kit lying around. I ditched DDM components in lieu of theretrofitsource's morimoto HID ballasts and bulbs. That is, if you're interested.

If you wanna see the difference between HIDs in a non-HID projector vs a retrofit, click the "her lights" link in my sig. First picture is a side by side comparison.
Old 12-03-2012
Registered!!

Riceboy,

Thanks for the info. So I would be doing a retrofit since I would be installing the minis in my OEM headlight housing. I think I am going to get a 35W kit so I should be fine. Thanks though.
The retrofit pic is way nicer. Def gonna go that route!

So, H1 Morimoto minis, DDM 35W kit with H1 6000K bulb, relay harness, and I should be set.

Does changing the stock housing for an aftermarket one do anything for better lighting or is just for looks?

Last edited by jmars808; 12-03-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-03-2012
Registered!!

Artificial has a spectacular aura aboutArtificial has a spectacular aura aboutArtificial has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by jmars808
Does changing the stock housing for an aftermarket one do anything for better lighting or is just for looks?
Just changes the looks, unless it's a projector housing. Don't bother with the cheap ebay ones, they'll likely melt and they have a terrible output pattern compared to a retrofit.
Old 12-03-2012
Registered!!

Ok thanks for answering that question.

Now, I am looking for the relay harness. I don't see one at DDM.
I think I see one at TRS.

Is this what you mean?
MotoControl H4/9003 Bi-xenon Relay Harness
from http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...ducts_id=14027

Does anyone know if I can get the relay for a better price than $35 at TRS?

Edit:
Or is this the relay harness at DDM that I need?
HIGH/LOW HID HARNESS H4 $15
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/High-Low-Harness

Last edited by jmars808; 12-03-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-03-2012
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Either harness should be fine. I'm rocking an older version of TRS's H4 relay harness in my setup now, and I must say it is so much nicer than the DDM one that **** itself on me. The relay, one day, decided to burn itself from the inside. Just a forewarning. With TRS stuff, you seriously get what you pay for, and their customer service is excellent.

If you decided to go with an aftermarket projector headlight and retrofit that, you'd have to get more creative with how you mount the projector, especially considering you'd want to maintain full adjustability. The Morimoto HID retrofit is seriously about as easy as retrofits go, as it's more or less a plug and play. You just have to open up the headlight to do so. Do yourself a favor and find some butyl rubber to re-seal the headlights after you're done. Apparently you can find it at local autozones or whatever, but I wasn't able to, so I had to order a roll of it off amazon for cheap.

If there's one bit of advice I can give, it's do everything right the first time, even if that means spending more money up front. I've had personal experience going the "cheaper" routes before, and that's resulted in spending a WHOLE lot more in the long run. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-03-2012
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

^ all great advice. I just did my retrofit this weekend and it was a direct plug and play with no cutting needed. I was able to aim them properly with the stock adjusting screws. I ended going with Morimoto ballests and relay harness cause I didn't want to take a chance with a cheaper kit. If you want a better cutoff line then I would suggest painting the stock reflector housing a darker color. My cut line line isn't as crisp as I want it to be but it's still good. Here are some pics:

Name:  IMG_1092.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  66.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1411.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  116.9 KB

Cutoff Line.

Name:  IMG_1854.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  70.2 KB
Old 12-03-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

^you needa buff out and clean your headlights man. that haze/oxidation is taking a good 20% from your output.
Old 12-03-2012
Prelude Owner

Yea that was going to be my project this weekend. I didn't realize how bad it was until i took the picture :-/ It is pretty bad.
Old 12-04-2012
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

that glare is probably from all that haze on your lenses.
Old 12-04-2012
Registered!!

Sweet. Thanks for all the great advice guys! I think I am going to do it right the first time. Big help!

What's the best way to clean your headlight outer lenses? Sandpaper or buy a kit? You could send me to a link if you wish.
Old 12-04-2012
Administrator
Administrator

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ight-haze.html

Works really well. Only downside is you have to keep giving them attention otherwise they'll haze right back up.. Either that or get a UV-resistant clear coat sprayed on. I've heard of people doing that, too.
Old 12-04-2012
Registered!!

i found the best way and easiest way is a 3M headlight restoration kit then using a plastic lens sealer.
Old 02-09-2013
Registered!!

Lowlife9,

Did you use the 3M kit with the drill or no drill? Also, do you put the sealer on after you do it? Thanks!