7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Weird stuttering problem 2001 Honda ex

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ElHombre is an unknown quantity at this point
Weird stuttering problem 2001 Honda ex

The problem that I am having is not occurring all the time, but it does happen often enough to annoy and get my attention. Here is what happens :
I start the car, and everything is fine, no lights no problems

Then I have to shift into either reverse or drive to get out of my parking spot, and this is where the problem happens

I press on the gas to get moving and sometimes the engine stutters. i look down at the dash and the rotations are almost at zero, so i let off the gas and this continues for a few seconds, the rotations then fly up to 2,000 and then back to normal idling (700-500 rpms) and only then can i actually move my car. Can anyone tell me whats going on?
Old 10-18-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Weird stuttering problem 2001 Honda ex

if you step on the gas and it just revs in drive its most likely a bad transmission. the 2001 model is notorious for failing automatic transmissions some don't last 50,000 miles. otherwise try cleaning your IACV and throttle body see if that helps at all https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...e-up-mods.html
whens the last time you hade a tune up ???

Last edited by lowlife9; 10-18-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-18-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Lowlife: his engine isn't revving up, it is dying.

I'd probably start with watching fuel pressure while this event is happening, just to get an idea of what might be causing it to stumble. Then troubleshoot, depending on what I see.
Old 10-19-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lowlife9
if you step on the gas and it just revs in drive its most likely a bad transmission. the 2001 model is notorious for failing automatic transmissions some don't last 50,000 miles. otherwise try cleaning your IACV and throttle body see if that helps at all https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...e-up-mods.html
whens the last time you hade a tune up ???
Yeah it not really revving in drive it more like stumbling along at >100 rpms, and then after a few second of this it returns to normal rpms and acceleration.
Don't scare me with that information man my baby's got 168000+ and i want her to last forever
I am actually getting a tune up this weekend, so hopefully ill find the problem then. thanks for the help lowlife
Old 10-19-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Lowlife: his engine isn't revving up, it is dying.

I'd probably start with watching fuel pressure while this event is happening, just to get an idea of what might be causing it to stumble. Then troubleshoot, depending on what I see.
Yeah ill definetly keep an eye on tht thanks for the help ezone , ill let you know if I do figure out what it is
Old 10-19-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

hay ezone whats your opinion on Seafoam yay or nay ???
Old 10-19-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lowlife9
hay ezone whats your opinion on Seafoam yay or nay ???
Um, depends on the reason for using it.
I don't condone just dumping in additives *****-nilly.

I have used it for very specific purposes with great success.
Old 10-19-2012
Registered!!

revr63ed7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Your idle control motor may be sticking. Does it rev a little when first started and slowly come down to base idle?