7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Leaking oil - was told to no longer use synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leaking oil - was told to no longer use synthetic

Is it possible to remove the top cover without having to move out the PS pump and Alt belt?
PS is the only one in the way of the upper timing belt cover, and I really can't tell you if it absolutely has to come off to get the cover off. (I THINK IT DOES have to come off)...
I don't think I have ever tried to only do one part without the other out of the way.....it's only like 10 minutes anyway....with air tools. (I say 10 minutes, thinking about an hour for the whole t-belt job.)
I can do the timing belt job in my sleep, but can't answer your question. LOL

It is easier and faster for me to actually do the work than to try to figure out how to avoid doing the work.

The 12mm tools I mentioned were just for the PS pump.
Old 10-08-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

prolly a bad gasket
Old 10-08-2012
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

no offense meant here, but from reading all of your previous threads, i have never heard of anybody in my life being so paranoid and **** about thier car, especially not a civic, stop worrying so much,

just use standard oil, no additives, and change it regularily, its fine,

either fix the leak or ignore the leak and check your oil regularily, but for the love of god, quit worrying so much, its just a car, a bucket of bolts,

if you want to fix it, pull the timing cover and replace every single possible seal/gasket in there, so that would be crank seal, cam seal, and pull the oil pump off and replace that o-ring also.....done
Old 10-08-2012
I am Epic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Originally Posted by ezone
PS is the only one in the way of the upper timing belt cover, and I really can't tell you if it absolutely has to come off to get the cover off. (I THINK IT DOES have to come off)...
I don't think I have ever tried to only do one part without the other out of the way.....it's only like 10 minutes anyway....with air tools. (I say 10 minutes, thinking about an hour for the whole t-belt job.)
I can do the timing belt job in my sleep, but can't answer your question. LOL

It is easier and faster for me to actually do the work than to try to figure out how to avoid doing the work.

The 12mm tools I mentioned were just for the PS pump.
Ok Wed dig into it. But in meantime ill have to check the oil and first make sure its not the valve gasket.

Originally Posted by gearbox
prolly a bad gasket
You mean valve gasket? Im hoping this is all, will have to watch it today and tomrw.

Originally Posted by mikey1
no offense meant here, but from reading all of your previous threads, i have never heard of anybody in my life being so paranoid and **** about thier car, especially not a civic, stop worrying so much,

just use standard oil, no additives, and change it regularily, its fine,

either fix the leak or ignore the leak and check your oil regularily, but for the love of god, quit worrying so much, its just a car, a bucket of bolts,

if you want to fix it, pull the timing cover and replace every single possible seal/gasket in there, so that would be crank seal, cam seal, and pull the oil pump off and replace that o-ring also.....done
Im just not wantin bigger problems later thats all.

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 10-08-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-08-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i don't believe you have to remove the PS to remove the upper timing cover.
Old 10-08-2012
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

the valve cover gasket is not likely the problem, its most likely your oil pump or crank seal, it would take a MAJOR leak in your valve cover or cam seal for you to be seeing it dripping out the bottom, if you did have a major leak like that you would notice the oil level dropping daily, my money is on the oil pump or crank seal,

however its very easy to remove the valve cover and upper timing cover, so that would still be a good place to start, use a bright light to look down into the lower part after you remove the top cover, you do not need to remove the P/S pump assembly
Old 10-08-2012
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Originally Posted by mikey1
the valve cover gasket is not likely the problem, its most likely your oil pump or crank seal, it would take a MAJOR leak in your valve cover or cam seal for you to be seeing it dripping out the bottom, if you did have a major leak like that you would notice the oil level dropping daily, my money is on the oil pump or crank seal,

however its very easy to remove the valve cover and upper timing cover, so that would still be a good place to start, use a bright light to look down into the lower part after you remove the top cover, you do not need to remove the P/S pump assembly
Im really hoping its not the oil pump o-ringsl or cam. What would be the long term problems if i left it and didnt fix it? If its either of those then my timing belt is most likely wet going by the location where the oil pump is. Dumb question but oil pump is not the water pump right? Reason i ask is cause the last thing i need right now is a big repair job.

I did some checking today and see no leaks from the valve gasket. Had the car running for awhile and couldnt see any oil flowing down anywhere. From the wheel well or underneath. I stuck my hand in the driver side well where it looks wet with oil and i look at my finger and its actually black sludge.

So i took some degreaser and sprayed it and cleaned it pretty good. Even jacking up the car its still very tough to get in that wheel well. Will monitor for the next day

So all i have to do to get the top timing cover off is, loosen the 5 valve cover bolts, pull up right side very little, undo the top timing cover 2 bolts and the top timing cover comes off?

Cause from what i see, is only 2 10mm bolts for the top timing cover.

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 10-08-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-08-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Top cover has 3 bolts: One on each side, and one below the cam sensor plug.

When you put it all back together, the top cover has to fit into its grooves or slots on each side, so it all sits flush and doesn't stick out. It can be tricky if the valve cover is still in the way.
You gotta wiggle, cuss, and hold your mouth juuuuuust right.

And make sure the valve cover gasket stays in its groove and doesn't come out of place before you bolt in down.

I hope to GOD you have someone available that has some mechanical experience, that can guide you along this journey, that will stop you before you do anything drastically wrong.

HTH
Old 10-08-2012
I am Epic

Top cover has 3 bolts: One on each side, and one below the cam sensor plug.

When you put it all back together, the top cover has to fit into its grooves or slots on each side, so it all sits flush and doesn't stick out. It can be tricky if the valve cover is still in the way.
You gotta wiggle, cuss, and hold your mouth juuuuuust right.

And make sure the valve cover gasket stays in its groove and doesn't come out of place before you bolt in down.

I hope to GOD you have someone available that has some mechanical experience, that can guide you along this journey, that will stop you before you do anything drastically wrong.

HTH
I hate how Honda designed the car. It would be so much less work if you could just pop the top cover off without even having to touch let alone lift the right side of the valve cover. I see the 3 bolts, if I just undid the bolts as is, im guessing the top cover wont even budge.

Im not doing it alone and it will be on Wed cause no time today or tommorow but free Wed.

Lets say it is the cam or oil pump o-rings leaking, does the oil funnel down the side of the engine or splatter all over the timing belt?

As long as my timing belt isnt wet, then i will be less worried. I dont want to be driving around with a wet belt.

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 10-08-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-08-2012

I hate how Honda designed the car.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA You should try some serious Nissan work (at least the types of work I get into). Hondas will look like a walk in the park.
I have freekin hated Nissans' engineers for decades now. BMW and Audi are on that list too.

Seriously: Some engineers are far smarter than others.
It would be so much less work if you could just pop the top cover off without even having to touch let alone lift the right side of the valve cover.
The engineer that was putting lunchbox latches on air filter boxes several years ago wasn't available to work in the timing cover department when your car was being designed. (I like that guy.)
I see the 3 bolts, if I just undid the bolts as is, im guessing the top cover wont even budge.
Nope. It is trapped by the lip on the valve cover.
As long as my timing belt isnt wet, then i will be less worried. I dont want to be driving around with a wet belt.
You can see that after you get it apart. I bet it will be ok.
Old 10-08-2012
I am Epic

Seriously: Some engineers are far smarter than others.
The engineer that was putting lunchbox latches on air filter boxes several years ago wasn't available to work in the timing cover department when your car was being designed. (I like that guy.)
Well whomever made the decision should be shot. Terrible design.

Nope. It is trapped by the lip on the valve cover.You can see that after you get it apart.
So when you lift the right side of the valve cover, wont that break the bond on the middle part too? Cause it will have to move somewhat. Unless we're talking lifting the right side so little. Cause when you go to seal it again, how the hell do you get the Honda bond in there if the cover is still on? Ive seen the valve cover replaced before when i had it done last Jan and it looked to be a major pain in the *** cause you will have to wipe the oil off the edge or it wont seal properly.

I bet it will be ok.
You said you've seen civics with leaking oil pump seals, and the belts were dry so hopefully thats the case with mine. I dont know how the oil is able to stay away from the timing belt.

What im wanting to do wed is take the top cover off but valve cover on, see if any oil is in there, then run the car with the cover off and if the camseal or oil pump seal is leaking then i should be able to see it right there no? Cause thats where the leak would start. Taking it that the car still run with the top timing cover off.
Old 10-08-2012

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie
LOL

So when you lift the right side of the valve cover, wont that break the bond on the middle part too? Cause it will have to move somewhat.
What "bond"? It ain't like it's glued down.

Unless we're talking lifting the right side so little.
About a half-inch is all I need.
You may just want to pull the whole valve cover off, it would be easier.

Cause when you go to seal it again, how the hell do you get the Honda bond in there if the cover is still on?
I only lift one end of the valve cover about a half-inch.
You should be able to figure out what I do or don't do, using nothing more than that info.

If it doesn't leak when I'm done, it isn't wrong. Right? Right.

As long as the rubber gasket is pliable, they normally seal up ok.

and it looked to be a major pain in the *** cause you will have to wipe the oil off the edge or it wont seal properly.
Seriously? Wiping is THAT big of a deal? (Edit: Insert potty joke here)

I dont know how the oil is able to stay away from the timing belt.
You would have to study the designs and consider the effects of gravity, flow, and air movements.
Cam seal leak would be funneled behind and to the side of the timing covers, down the side of the block IIRC.
What im wanting to do wed is take the top cover off but valve cover on, see if any oil is in there, then run the car with the cover off and if the camseal or oil pump seal is leaking then i should be able to see it right there no?
I don't think you will be able to see either area directly.

Taking it that the car still run with the top timing cover off.
Bolt the valve cover back on to run it. Don't drop anything into the open timing belt area or you will be eating valves.
Old 10-09-2012
I am Epic

If you cant see for camseal or crankshaft leak from the top timing cover, then i dont know how ill notice it.

And from what i remember, im almost certain you CAN get the top timing cover off with only having to remove the valve cover and powersteering.

Reason im making sure is cause i know the shop will try to say "no, it all has to come out, everything, front engine mount, side bracket, alternator, power steering."

My worry is, and youre going to hate me asking but do you think i should get another oil change? To make sure the lucas stop leak stuff came out. Im just worrie how much i was actually able to get out.

This is why im getting a second opinion on it tommorow cause the mech from sunday i dont trust for any diagnosing after he failed on 2 previous atempts. Like saying how i needed a new AC compressor bearing when all it was, was a serp belt needing tightening.

LOL

What "bond"? It ain't like it's glued down.

About a half-inch is all I need.
You may just want to pull the whole valve cover off, it would be easier.

I only lift one end of the valve cover about a half-inch.
You should be able to figure out what I do or don't do, using nothing more than that info.

If it doesn't leak when I'm done, it isn't wrong. Right? Right.

As long as the rubber gasket is pliable, they normally seal up ok.

Seriously? Wiping is THAT big of a deal? (Edit: Insert potty joke here)

You would have to study the designs and consider the effects of gravity, flow, and air movements.
Cam seal leak would be funneled behind and to the side of the timing covers, down the side of the block IIRC.
I don't think you will be able to see either area directly.

Bolt the valve cover back on to run it. Don't drop anything into the open timing belt area or you will be eating valves.

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 10-09-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Old 10-09-2012

And from what i remember, im almost certain you CAN
Exactly how many times have you done the job?

I've done it literally hundreds of times and I can't remember if it will or not. LOL

My worry is, and youre going to hate me asking but do you think i should get another oil change?
NO.

cause the mech from sunday i dont trust for any diagnosing after he failed on 2 previous atempts.
Ummm, then you probably deserve everything that happens.
You know better and yet you did it anyway.
Old 10-09-2012

I'll set up a paypal account.

You just send me all of your money whenever you think you have a car problem.
Old 10-09-2012
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

you don't have to remove the ps i just did my valves and that timing cover came off by just removing the valve cover i remember exactly because i tightened the valve cover down before i put the timing cover back and had to remove the valve cover again just to get it back in place. see for yourself https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post1369160

Last edited by lowlife9; 10-09-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-10-2012
I am Epic

BAD NEWS!!!

Very unhappy!

Not happy ezone

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 10-10-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-10-2012
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Old 10-10-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

LOL! you send all yer money to him? LOLOLOLOL!
Old 10-10-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

LOL! can't even take the cover off and wanna call others crappy, crappy mechanic and crappy driver and crappy owner! LOL!
Old 10-10-2012

BAD NEWS!!!

Very unhappy!

Not happy ezone
It took you two extra edits to spit all that out?

And why are you using my name in vain?
I don't have any control over YOUR car or YOUR problem.
I didn't design it
I didn't engineer it
I didn't build it
I didn't buy it
I didn't break it
I didn't wear it out
I didn't abuse it
I didn't total it
I didn't buy it with that salvage title
I didn't maintain it
I didn't ignore it
I didn't diagnose it
I didn't fix it
I didn't OCD on it
I didn't panic over it
I didn't receive any of your money

I can't even SEE it from here.

Did your mech put the O ring in behind the oil pump yet, or did he only put the cam seal in and send you down the road?
Old 10-10-2012
I am Epic

Im not blaming you at all. Just not in good mood with this big repair job thats all.
Old 10-10-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

I didn't receive any of your money
LOL!
Ezone, that was not aimed at you, for the records! i would trust my life (car) in you!
rep for you, BTW
Old 10-11-2012
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

When was the last time you cleaned/changed your pcv?

Better get that leak repaired before the car explodes.

Oil is flamable.

Last edited by 04 Honda Civic; 10-11-2012 at 03:48 AM.
Old 10-11-2012
Registered!!

My worry is, and youre going to hate me asking but do you think i should get another oil change? To make sure the lucas stop leak stuff came out. Im just worrie how much i was actually able to get out.
it would probably take about TEN oil changes before it was all out, and that still wouldnt guarantee it was all out 100%

there is always about a half liter left in your engine regardless of how long you let it drain, it will all NEVER come out!

if you have ever removed your valve cover you will see what im talking about, there is a good 250ml of oil trapped up there that can not drain or move while the engine is turned off,

i dont know why you are so worried about lifting up the valve cover, its so easy, remove the spark plug tubes, undo the 5 valve cover bolts and lift it up, its simple,

just make sure the gasket is still in place when you put it back down
Old 10-11-2012

BAD NEWS!!!

Very unhappy!

Not happy ezone

I think it's time you posted your update to this thread, telling just how oil soaked (saturated) your timing belt is. (Or was. Whatever.)

And describe how you discovered exactly where all the oil goes after it comes out of the cam seal.