7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

High and low fans?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012
Busy Speeding!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough
High and low fans?

Just wondering, since the Em2 has 2 radiator fans, is one fan high speed an the other one low?
I'm swapping in a half sized radiator with a universal fan and if the em2 does have 2 fan speeds, which one should I hook it up to?

EDIT: Did some more research and one fan turns on when the a/c is turned on, and the other is controlled by temperature.
I dont have a/c in my car right now, so how would I go about wiring my fan to turn on when the coolant reaches a certain temp?

Last edited by SlimRisk; 10-01-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-01-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: High and low fans?

really? i thought they were both high fans... interesting. i will see when i use my ac later
Old 10-01-2012
Busy Speeding!!

SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough

I might be mistaken
Old 10-02-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

they are both the same. put your hand in front of each (carefully) and feel the air flow. only one fan turns on for the engine when the coolant temp gets too hot, and both turn on when the a/c is being used.
Old 10-02-2012
Busy Speeding!!

Do you know which fan turns on with the coolant temp?
Old 10-02-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

no, you would have to drive til the car is warmed up on a hot day, wait for the fan to come on, and then quickly pop the hood. ive never checked it.
Old 10-03-2012
Busy Speeding!!

Yeah that doesn't sound very practical since its getting colder everyday here in Wisconsin. And I still don't have my car back... Stupid bitch
Old 10-03-2012
Registered!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
bryan.0831 is an unknown quantity at this point

Stand in front, facing your car. The left (passenger side) is the cooling fan. The right is the AC fan.
If you don't have AC take the other one off, (driver side). I only have one fan in my 2005 Civic. I took mine off long time ago and just put a 12" Mishimoto Slim Fan on the left side to match my Mishimoto Radiator.
AC are for luxurious people. Lol.

I was thinking of putting a half size radiator, too. Let me know how it works out for you. Thanks!
Old 10-03-2012
Busy Speeding!!

Thanks a ton Bryan!! Do you happen to know how to wire my new slim fan to work with my existing connectors? I got 2 wires from the fan, a blue and a black
Old 10-03-2012
Registered!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
bryan.0831 is an unknown quantity at this point

It is up to you if you want the fan to push or pull. Civics has pull fans, I'm pretty sure. Somebody quote me on that.

Anyways, jump the wires on the battery and see which direction the blade goes. Your stock one should have a black one, which is the ground, and of course, the other wire for power.
I used the connectors/plug from my stock one. Solder and heat wrap it.

Look at the top left of the picture. The plug looks like that.
Old 10-03-2012
Busy Speeding!!

I know civics do have pull fans. I'll jump the fan and see what I find