7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Locked myself out

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012
Delightfully tacky. Yet unrefined

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
m3gach33zy is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Locked myself out

So like the title says... dropped my keys on the seat and didn't notice when I was getting out . I've got no spare key so I was wondering if anyone knew a way in without doing any damage?

I should also say I don't have any method of using an air bag to wedge it open nor do I have a wire hanger. So any other suggestions please
Old 09-25-2012
Registered!!

danwat12345 has a spectacular aura aboutdanwat12345 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Locked myself out

[autostream]http://autostream.com/ibcivicforums/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=1312& transactionid=1348633476-1847647120&posted_by=danwat12345_www.civicforums.c om&youtube_video_id=m9snI5tpr2w[/autostream]
Skip to 0:36 for wedgation.

Basically put hangar wire between the door and the body...

I've seen the campus safety personnel at my college do it, they use a cushion thing that they pump up to separate the seals (less/no damage that way) and then use wire.

PS: You shouldn't be able to lock yourself out if you use the driver's door. Won't lock till closed.
Old 09-26-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danwat12345

PS: You shouldn't be able to lock yourself out if you use the driver's door. Won't lock till closed.
OH YES you can!
Pull either handle out and push the button, it WILL lock with the door open.
Slam it and say "****!"

Go out to your car and try it.

OP: The dealer can cut a key using the VIN of the car.
You will have to show proof of ownership though.... That's all in the glovebox where it is supposed to be, right?

You should then be able to get in the door. You don't need the expensive immobilizer chip key, just need a plain old cheap blank for this if they have any. We had a box of sidewinder key "practice blanks" that we use for this. They are not listed in the normal parts catalog under your car.

If you have to buy a regular key
Master key blank should be around $50
Valet key blank should be around $20

Neither will start the car unless they are programmed.

Phone first before wasting a trip.
Old 09-26-2012

Like I said Dan, I don't have either of those tools at my disposal so that's not an option.

Ezone, thanks for the info, but I was to understand that the key MUST be one of the special cut keys. When I bought the car I asked if I can get some spares, and they said it'd cost about 100 a pop

Thanks for the options, but I was hoping to find something a little easier? My buddy told me that on older Honda's you were able to go under the car and pull a wire to unlock it? I've got a jack if something like that needs to be done.
Old 09-26-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

pick the lock or call a locksmith to pick it for you.
[autostream]http://autostream.com/ibcivicforums/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=1313& transactionid=1348639483-69379543&posted_by=lowlife9_www.civicforums.com&yo utube_video_id=VxWWL0aypPc[/autostream]
Old 09-26-2012

If I had the tools/knew how to do it I'd give it a shot lol. Sounds like a locksmith is my only option unless I can find something to use
Old 09-26-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by m3gach33zy
Ezone, thanks for the info, but I was to understand that the key MUST be one of the special cut keys. When I bought the car I asked if I can get some spares, and they said it'd cost about 100 a pop
You only heard what your dealer (who wants all your money) told you.
You aren't understanding what is possible and true.

Yes, it is the special sidewinder key.
But there are 3 types as I already described, that can get your door open.
I gave you 3 options for the blanks that can be cut to open the door. 2 are relatively cheap. The 3rd is still relatively cheap.

Any key you get does not have to be programmed to open just the door, it only needs programmed if you want it to start the engine. The programming usually costs anywhere from $50-100, depending on the shop.

If you need it to start the car, you can get it programmed later on and pay that fee at that time.
The practice blanks can't be programmed, there is no chip inside it.

Or just call a lock shop in the morning, they will get your door open for a fee.
Tow trucks might do it too, some do it here.
Old 09-26-2012
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

do you or anybody you know have a AAA membership because they provide this service.
Old 09-26-2012

Oh, good idea.
Some cellphone plans come with automobile roadside assistance coverage too. Might look into that.
Old 09-26-2012
Registered!!

raymondxcho is an unknown quantity at this point

AAA has this service.
Old 09-26-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

next time keep a spare key in your wallet if this is a problem for you. should take a locksmith about 10-20 secs to pop the locks if you have auto door locks. just wedge the door open from the black trim, stick a wire hanger in, and hit the lock/unlock power button on the door handle.
Old 09-26-2012

Not sure about AAA, but I'll look and see if anyone I know can help me out. Thanks

This is the 2nd time I've locked my keys inside so it doesn't happen often haha
Old 09-26-2012

Well luckily AAA is freakin awesome. My dads membership expired on the 1st, but they're coming to help me out anyways . Looks like I"ll be paying for AAA membership in the future lol
Old 09-26-2012

This is the 2nd time I've locked my keys inside so it doesn't happen often haha
2 times is actually quite often. LOL
Old 09-26-2012
Registered!!

AAA ftw they will come out to give you gas also if you need it among other things.
Old 09-26-2012

Originally Posted by ezone
2 times is actually quite often. LOL
First time was about 4 years ago and well 2nd time is obvious lol. First time I was on the phone in my car for a long time and I just forgot the keys in the ignition .

Buying myself a AAA membership tomorrow, I never knew it was so cheap!

Ezone, I called my local dealership and they said they wont sell me a key unless they program it
Old 09-26-2012

Ezone, I called my local dealership and they said they wont sell me a key unless they program it
Wow.
You need to visit a better dealer.

We sell them any way you want to buy them.
You just need to show proof of ownership.

If a customer just needs a wallet key to get in the car, we can hook them up.

I wonder if you have a local locksmith that can cut the keys.

Last edited by ezone; 09-26-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-27-2012

I tried Fred Meyers before and they said it was a special key you can only get from the dealer. I'd assume it'd probably be the same for a locksmith since the key isn't a normal looking one.
Old 09-27-2012

I tried Fred Meyers before and they said it was a special key you can only get from the dealer. I'd assume it'd probably be the same for a locksmith since the key isn't a normal looking one.
Had to google Fred Meyers. Looks like a WalMart I guess.
LOL

To dispute what they told you:
Sidewinder blanks are available through normal aftermarket channels (ILCO, et al) to locksmiths.

The locksmith would have to invest in the cutting machine AND equipment to program the keys though, and there may not be enough potential ROI for smaller operations to make that sort of investment. The market is pretty limited and the equipment is NOT cheap..

Dealers are required to have all this equipment as part of the franchise agreement AFAIK......and some are quite proud of it. ($$$)

Too bad your dealer didn't want to make a quick and easy $20 off of you, and instead showed exactly what ~~.............****EDITED****
Old 09-27-2012
Registered!!

you can find locksmiths that can do this there out there you just need to find them. a honda dealer charged me 50 bucks to program all of my keys.
Old 09-27-2012
Registered!!

dred is an unknown quantity at this point

ive done a few with a door wedge and a cloth hanger it isnt that hard
or hire tow truck driver they can get in
Old 11-08-2012
Registered!!

yogesh is an unknown quantity at this point

You can watch this video on opening / Unlocking Honda Civic without key

Here is the direct link:

Last edited by yogesh; 11-08-2012 at 03:30 AM. Reason: Spelling Mistake
Old 11-08-2012
Registered!!

danwat12345 has a spectacular aura aboutdanwat12345 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ezone
OH YES you can!
Pull either handle out and push the button, it WILL lock with the door open.
Slam it and say "****!"

Go out to your car and try it.
I was talking about manual locks.
Oh wait I have a 6th gen so maybe not applicable but I'd assume the behavior would be the same.

6th gen, keys don't have a chip $2.50 at a hardware shop for a new ignition key

Last edited by danwat12345; 11-08-2012 at 04:08 AM.
Old 11-08-2012
Registered!!

yogesh is an unknown quantity at this point

Very soon, I'll upload more information on opening, repairing Honda locks as well as Programming and By-passing Honda Transponders
Old 11-08-2012

Originally Posted by danwat12345
I was talking about manual locks.
Oh wait I have a 6th gen so maybe not applicable but I'd assume the behavior would be the same.
Honda has done this with the drivers door for forever. They only recently started moving away from this (8th gen?)

6th gen, keys don't have a chip $2.50 at a hardware shop for a new ignition key
True. You could probably cut a soda can into the shape of a key and start the engine with that.
(kinda serious though.)

The OP of this thread had a 2005, which has the sidewinder type key with immobilizer.