7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Add spoiler or just swap the trunks?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012
I am Epic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted
Add spoiler or just swap the trunks?

Guy locally has spoiler, Im guessing its OEM but he cant say forsure.

1) Did 01 Civic EXs come with spoilers from factory?

He would sell to me for good price, a lot cheaper than online but im looking into installing it and it sounds like I need couple things that I dont think he has like harness and foam pads.

His spoiler is attached to the trunk and the trunk is off the car. When I go see it, if the trunk is in better shape than mine and is quicker and easier to just swap trunks then ill do that. Cause I dont have a drill and really would hate to have to go buy or rent one just for this.

What you guys think? Muirsy on here said he swapped trunks on his and it was just a couple bolts. Sounds like its a lot easier to swap trunks than adding a spoiler.

What does this harness look like so I know what to look for.
Old 09-25-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Add spoiler or just swap the trunks?

As far as replacing the trunk, first it would depend on the condition of the two trunks. If one is significantly better that makes the choice easy. For me it would also depend on the color of the car. Some colors such as silver will never match so I would rather have only a spoiler mismatched instead of a trunk and spoiler. If you replace the trunk you will also have to align it so the seams are even and straight, not hard but can take time.

Are the springs included? If you add the weight of the spoiler to the trunk you need to change the springs to compensate for the additional weight. This will have to be done either way.
Old 09-25-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

seriously you don't have a drill thats like the first power tool people learn to use and buy.
Old 09-25-2012
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Originally Posted by pjb3
As far as replacing the trunk, first it would depend on the condition of the two trunks. If one is significantly better that makes the choice easy. For me it would also depend on the color of the car. Some colors such as silver will never match so I would rather have only a spoiler mismatched instead of a trunk and spoiler. If you replace the trunk you will also have to align it so the seams are even and straight, not hard but can take time.

Are the springs included? If you add the weight of the spoiler to the trunk you need to change the springs to compensate for the additional weight. This will have to be done either way.
Where do the springs get installed so i know where to look? Im not sure if it comes with it but doubt it, if its not on the trunk already as factory. Unfortunately, i ask the guy and he cant tell me cause hes not at the junkyard to check

If you swap trunks, is it only two bolts to take it off and im guessing the 2 going to the trunk latch?

Good point about the colour matching. Even putting the new trunk next to my car and doing it by eye can be tough. Sometimes you may only notice it under certain light.

My trunk now is in really good shape, minor hair line scratches that i buffed most out but its not 10/10 perfect. Most of the scratches are around the trunk keyhole from the previous owners.
Old 09-25-2012
I am Epic

Originally Posted by lowlife9
seriously you don't have a drill thats like the first power tool people learn to use and buy.
I do but its old and not very good. Barely has any power to even go through cardbard let alone a steel trunk.

When you drill, you do have to drill 4 holes right through the trunk lid right? Man id be scared of cracking the paint.
Old 09-25-2012
I am Epic

Ah crap I dont know if I can swap trunks cause my trunk lid is sound deadened and no way im redoing all that. Even though i have my sub in my cabin now and always wondered if i could get away with a naked trunk lid and still maintain no rattle.
Old 09-25-2012
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

Yeah you easily can, all you have to do is loosen the bump stops at the corners of the trunk, i have 2 12's and no trunk lid rattle...and as for the drill i have an old one too (circa 1970) but its got enough torque to snap your wrists off haha
Old 09-25-2012
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

dude go buy a drill drill your trunk then return the drill or keep it whatever. as for the paint put tape down before you drill.
Old 09-25-2012
I am Epic

Originally Posted by rjones7755
Yeah you easily can, all you have to do is loosen the bump stops at the corners of the trunk, i have 2 12's and no trunk lid rattle...and as for the drill i have an old one too (circa 1970) but its got enough torque to snap your wrists off haha
I wish, removing the bump stops was the first thing i did, it did nothing. Otherwise i wouldnt have sound deadened it.

Originally Posted by lowlife9
dude go buy a drill drill your trunk then return the drill or keep it whatever. as for the paint put tape down before you drill.
Ok and this frame thingy where do i find it and do i need it if this guy doesnt have it?

And what about the springs?

When i go see him, i just wanna know what to look for.
Old 09-26-2012
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

If you look at the outer edges of your trunk (underside, and in area where the spoiler mounts) you will see 2 round spots on each side. look for O x2 That is the area drilled out for spoiler. You will not get a template you know The harness is attached to spoiler and runs to the 3rd brake light under the back deck. Make sure you get the little plastic electrical coupler needed.

The springs are in trunk under the deck (2 that run side to side) and are a biatch to replace. Mine for my 05 are still in my garage.
Old 09-26-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

spoiler is pretty useless. its very heavy, requires trunk shocks unless you like using two hands to open it, and doesnt do anything. the real ones have CIVIC letters on the bottom i believe. and the leds are very bright.
Old 09-26-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
spoiler is pretty useless. its very heavy, requires trunk shocks unless you like using two hands to open it, and doesnt do anything. the real ones have CIVIC letters on the bottom i believe. and the leds are very bright.
i thought they were good a decreasing mpg.
Old 09-26-2012

rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

True, but the downforce is priceless
Old 09-26-2012
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

lol, almost no oem spoiler is actually functional. if anything, it worsens aerodynamics and causes mpg reduction (both from the aero and from the extra weight).
Old 09-26-2012

Lol i know but the stock isnt very heavy? i took it off an it only weighed like 10 lbs?
Old 09-26-2012
Premium Member

real oem is pretty heavy. i think at least 20 lbs. the aftermarkets are prolly more like 10 lbs because they are made from either abs or fiberglass, much lighter. but the leds suck on them. if i had to get one, i would go aftermarket and have it painted, then find a used oem and swap the leds over. you can prolly get away with the stock trunk bars rather than upgrading to shocks.
Old 09-27-2012
I am Epic

Didnt realize that spoilers way that much, I thought theyre hollow and maybe weight 1lb if that. If its 10 for aftermarket and 20 for OEM then i think ill pass.

Plus a spoiler isnt going to do jack squat for making my car look better or newer. Nothing will help this outdated car. Im picky about keeping the weight down in my car, so spoiler will just ruin it, and never realized an extra 20lbs will kill your milage too.
Old 09-28-2012
Registered!!

pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie
Im picky about keeping the weight down in my car, so spoiler will just ruin it, and never realized an extra 20lbs will kill your milage too.
An extra 20 lbs will not affect mileage much less "kill" it.
Old 09-28-2012
I am Epic

Originally Posted by pjb3
An extra 20 lbs will not affect mileage much less "kill" it.
Well more weight and makes the car slower and more sluggish.
Old 10-01-2012
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

I have an OEM one, it came with the car. I estimate around an additional 30hp to the rear wheels..
Old 10-06-2012
Registered!!

tweav88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
I have an OEM one, it came with the car. I estimate around an additional 30hp to the rear wheels..
REALLY! I JUST ORDERED ONE!